Somebody's Birthday Dinner---Oct. 2013
  Re: (...)
Hey everyone,

Here is the menu for the next birthday dinner review. I have three menus selected for future reviews, but decided on this one because we may not have as many days that are ideal for grilling as the weather turns cooler.

Here are the recipes and I was thinking that we should go three weeks this time, so reviews will be due Oct.7

* Exported from MasterCook *

Grilled Pork Kebabs with peach melba sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
FOR THE SAUCE, SWEAT;
2 Tablespoons minced onion
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
4 ounces frozen sliced peaches
1/4 cup peach juice or nectar
2 Tablespoons peach jam or preserves
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Salt and red pepper flakes to taste
1/2 cup fresh raspberries
FOR THE KEBABS, THREAD:
12 ounces pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into ten 2-inch cubes
1/2 large red onion, cut into 8 2-inch chunks
Salt and black pepper
olive oil

Preheat grill to medium-high.

For the sauce, sweat minced onion and garlic in 1/2 tsp. oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Add peaches, peach juice, jam, sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, thyme, and Dijon; bring to a simmer. Cook sauce until thick, 7-8 minutes; season with salt and pepper flakes. Remove sauce
from heat.

Reserve 1/4 cup sauce and mash with a fork. Transfer remaining sauce to a bowl to cool, then stir in raspberries.

For the kebabs, thread tenderloin alternately with red onion onto two skewers. Season kebabs with salt and black pepper and caot with oil. Grill kebabs 2 minutes, flip, and baste with reserved sauce. Grill kebabs on all sides, flipping and basting every 2 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into pork registers 145°, 8 minutes. Remove kebabs from grill, tent with foil, and let rest 3-4 minutes; serve with remaining sauce.

Per serving: 457 calories, 6g total fat

Source:
"Cuisine at Home Magazine, issue#100, page 25"

NOTES : The sauce can be made up to two days ahead. Bring it to room temperature before serving, or reheat it gently to take the chill off.
-------------------------------------

Thyme and Mustard Rice

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 bag boil-in-the-bag rice, such as Success brand (2 oz.)
1 Tablespoon each coarse-ground mustard, fresh minced thyme, and fresh lemon juice
Salt and black pepper to taste

Prepare rice according to package directions, then drain. Transfer rice to a bowl.

Stir in mustard, thyme, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.

Per serving: 60 calories, 1g total fat

Note:
"Boil-in-the-bag rice and just a few seasonings make this side dish as simple as it gets."

Source:
"Cuisine Tonight Quick & Easy Menus, page 47"
----------------------------------------------

Sweet Corn Ice Cream

Recipe By :Sara Steussy
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

3 ears sweet corn (such as Peaches & Cream variety), kernels removed and cobs chopped
4 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup granulated sugar
5 egg yolks
fresh blueberries and fresh peach slices for topping

Cook corn kernels, cobs, milk, cream, and sugar in a large saucepan over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Simmer mixture 1 hour, uncovered. Discard corn cobs. Puree corn mixture in batches in a blender until smooth.

Lightly beat egg yolks in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in hot corn mixture; return mixture to saucepan. Cook custard over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until it thickens and reaches 170° (do not let boil).

Immediately strain custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and chill at least 6 hours. Transfer custard to an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's directions (in batches if needed). Freeze ice cream in airtight containers until firm, at least 3 hours; serve with blueberries and peaches.

Per serving: 276 calories, 19g total fat.

Source:
"Cuisine at Home Magazine, issue#100, page 17"
Yield:
"1 quart"

NOTES : For the most flavor, simmer the cobs with the kernels in the dairy products to release more corn milk.

To prevent curdling the egg yolks, whisk in a portion of the hot liquid before returning to the heat.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Somebody's Birthday Dinner---Oct. 2013 by Mare749 (Hey everyone,[br][br...)
Definitely count me in for the pork and possibly the rice!
  Re: Re: Somebody's Birthday Dinner---Oct. 2013 by Trixxee (Definitely count me ...)
Pork and rice for sure. Thanks Maryann, this is always fun. My birthday was in July and I let it slide by without choosing a dinner.
  Re: Re: Somebody's Birthday Dinner---Oct. 2013 by losblanos1 (Pork and rice for su...)
Those sound very good, Maryann. I've made corn ice cream and really likes it, so I'll probably try this one also. (if it isn't the one I made..... )

Except for the rice. Think I'll adapt.

Thanks for doing this!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Somebody's Birthday Dinner---Oct. 2013 by cjs (Those sound very goo...)
Not committing, but I'll keep it in mind. We have a lot going on these days...even weekends are crazy!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Somebody's Birthday Dinner---Oct. 2013 by Gourmet_Mom (Not committing, but ...)
Oh, I hope you will be able to do it, Daphne. I purposely choose easy menus since so many of you are so busy these days.

Jean, what's don't you like about the rice recipe? Is it the boil-in-the-bag because I won't be using it myself. I have 10 lbs. of rice from Asia Foods and that is all I use.

Blane, since you didn't pick a menu for your birthday in July, would you want to plan the next one? I'm going to be away at the end of Oct. so probably won't plan another one until the beginning of November.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Somebody's Birthday Dinner---Oct. 2013 by Mare749 (Oh, I hope you will ...)
Yes, I was referring to the bagged rice - I'll just make regular rice is all.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Somebody's Birthday Dinner---Oct. 2013 by cjs (Yes, I was referring...)
I'm just trying to imagine the looks that the people among whom I live would have on their faces if "boil-in-the-bag" rice were to appear in any of the local stores.

"You're supposed to do WHAT with it?" LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Somebody's Birthday Dinner---Oct. 2013 by labradors (I'm just trying to i...)
I would use the microwavable bag.
  Re: Re: Somebody's Birthday Dinner---Oct. 2013 by Trixxee (I would use the micr...)
I saw Blane's pics on Facebook. Yummmm!!!!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura