T.G.I.F. Dinner, 10/11/13??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

I ordered 3 bottles of wine that arrived Wednesday, so we're having one of them with a steak & frites today.

Ravenswood 2012 Besieged a blend of 35% Carignane, 20% Petit Sirah, 18% Zin, 13% Mourvedre, 9% Alicante Bouschet, 5 % Barbera

Wow, what a mouthful - hope Bill sees this one.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 10/11/13?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Our son-in-law, Bob, is out of town, so Holly and the girls are coming over for a cookout. Ron said he wanted sausage with peppers and onions on toasted hoagie rolls. We will probably just put some tator tots in the oven to go with it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 10/11/13?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Looks like nobody is eating tonight! Lord, I can't wait until I can get back to having a normal meal and the time to prepare it. This golf season cannot be over too soon for me!
  Re: Re: T.G.I.G. Dinner, 10/11/13?? by iBcookin (Looks like nobody is...)
We are looking forward to seeing more of you, Linda! Hurry back!
Maryann

Re: Re: T.G.I.G. Dinner, 10/11/13?? by Mare749 (We are looking forwa...)
I agree, Maryann! Hoping to see more of you, Linda!

I'm going to clean out the fridge with a Taco Salad kind of meal!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.G. Dinner, 10/11/13?? by Gourmet_Mom (I agree, Maryann! H...)
Well, an abundance of good food around here, that's for sure. Today's steak was perfectly grilled - sometimes I get carried away with wanting the crusty outside and end up over cooking which drives me crazy. But, today, I managed to do both the way I love it.

But, the hit of the dinner was a new method (for me, anyway) of working with fries. Here's the recipe and we both loved them. It's a good thing I only did one potato, 'casue we'd have eaten all that was cooked!

[Image: Oct11SteakandBestFrFries_zps4f0a1fba.jpg]

Best Baked French Fries

Ready In: 1 Hour 10 Minutes - Servings: 4 from AllRecipes website

"Potato slices are coated in garlic salt and sugar and baked into crispy, golden French fries."

cooking spray
6 Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into thick fries
1 Tbs white sugar
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder, or more to
taste
1 tsp salt, or more to taste
1 tsp ground black pepper, or more
to taste

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil; spray with cooking spray.

2. Place sliced potatoes in a colander; sprinkle sugar over potatoes. Set aside until liquid is released from potatoes, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain liquid and dry potatoes well.

3. Mix potato slices, olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper in a resealable bag until evenly coated. Spread coated potato slices in a single layer, leaving space around each potato, on the prepared baking sheet.

4. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes; flip fries and continue baking until crisp and browned, about 20 more minutes
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.G. Dinner, 10/11/13?? by cjs (Well, an abundance o...)
Perfect Jean, that looks so delicious! I'm going to try those fries.
Tonight it's tarragon cream chicken with the bacon option, potato confit on the side and maybe that pea-cheddar salad that Maryann posted. T.G.I.G? Ahhh..I get it, Winespeak!
  Re: Re: T.G.I.G. Dinner, 10/11/13?? by losblanos1 (Perfect Jean, that l...)
No,just old age & sight.......
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 10/11/13?? by cjs (No,just old age & si...)
What a great idea, Jean. A little sugar would definitely help with browning. Brilliant. Can't wait to try this.
Maryann

Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 10/11/13?? by Mare749 (What a great idea, J...)
I am jumping on this fry bandwagon too. Maybe tomorrow since our steak and asparagus got pushed off until Saturday.

Now, I can only remember!