Saturday's Dinner, 10/12/13??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for today for everyone?

Have 2 or 3 things to make today, so not sure what will be dinner, but I think I'll be adding fries to whatever....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/12/13?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Burgers tonight. I have some whole grain ciabatta, some bison and some venison for the burgers - might grind some pork jowl bacon too for a little moisture. And Jean's fries from yesterday. Spinach on the burgers.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/12/13?? by Harborwitch (Burgers tonight. I ...)
We have theater tickets for this afternoon. Holly and the girls are going to meet us at Applebees later. Bob gets home from Chicago tonight.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/12/13?? by Mare749 (We have theater tick...)
Steak, asparagus, and "Jean's" fries....
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/12/13?? by Trixxee (Steak, asparagus, an...)
It'll be Busy Day Dinner here, along with a fresh, homemade loaf of white bread and butter.

Busy Day Dinner is sort of a macaroni goulash with a bunch of garden veggies in it. Very tasty and comforting on a fall day
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/12/13?? by luvnit (It'll be Busy Day Di...)
I've been requested to make them again today also, Trixxee!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/12/13?? by cjs (I've been requested ...)
While in Mexico, Carylann ate beef shanks at an Italian restaurant that she just loved, so her request for dinner tonight is beef shanks. I found a recipe in issue #38 for lamb shanks, but I'll substitute beef. Goat cheese mashed potatoes and asparagus also.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/12/13?? by losblanos1 (While in Mexico, Car...)
Blane, caramelized onions (if you enjoy them) is wonderful with the potatoes and shanks (cooked with the shanks) sounds like a wonderful dinner.

All this talk about shanks and osso buco reminds me I have a great dish for chicken osso buco that I used to use for catering - it's a great dinner party entree.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Osso Buco - a Chef's Journey

Tomato Sauce:
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion -- finely diced
4 garlic cloves -- thinly sliced
3 T. fresh thyme -- chopped (or 1 T. dried)
1/2 medium carrots -- finely shredded
2 cans tomatoes -- (28 oz.)
Salt to taste
For Stew:
16 chicken thighs -- bone in and skin on
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 T. olive oil
3 T. unsalted butter
1 medium onion -- halved lengthwise and thinly slice
1 small carrot -- finely chopped
1 celery rib -- finely chopped
2 garlic cloves -- finely chopped
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup Kalamata or other brine-cured black olives -- pitted
2 fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
1 small bay leaf
2 strips fresh lemon zest -- (2- by ½ inch) cut crosswise into fine julienne
1 tsp. salt or to taste
1/2 tsp. black pepper -- or to taste
For Gremolata:
3 T. fresh flat-leaf parsley -- chopped
1 large garlic clove -- minced
1 tsp. finely grated fresh lemon zest
1 T. pine nuts -- toasted

For the sauce:
In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
Add the onion and garlic and cook till soft and light golden brown, 8-10 minutes.

Add the thyme and carrot and cook for 5 minutes more, or until the carrot is quite soft.
Add the tomatoes with their juices; bring to a boil, stirring often, and then lower the heat & simmer 30 minutes until the sauce is quite thick.

Season with salt and set aside. Or chill - the sauce can be made a week ahead of time. Freezes will also. Makes 4 cups.

For the stew;
Heat oven to 325 F.

Pat chicken pieces dry and season with salt & pepper. Divide the chicken and floiur between 2 large sealable plastic bags and shake to coat, then remove thighs from bags, shaking off excess flour.

Heat oil and 2 T. butter in ovenproof pot over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then brown chicken well in 2 batches, 10-12 minutes per batch, transferring to a plate.

Reduce heat to moderate and add remaining tablespoon of butter to pot along with the onions, carrot, celery and garlic and cook, stirring until onions are pale golden, about 5 minutes.

Add remaining stew ingredients plus the tomato sauce and bring to a boil, stirring.
Add thighs in pot in 1 layer and return to a simmer. Cover pot and braise chicken in middle of oven until very tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Discard parsley sprigs and bay leaf.

For the gremolata:
Stir together the gremolata ingredients in a small bowl.

Osso buco can be made (without the gremolata) 1 day ahead. Cool completely, uncovered, then chill, covered. Heat, covered in a 325 F. oven 30-40 minutes.

Sprinkle the osso buco with the gremolata for service.
8 servings

Description:
"Made the first time for Camaraderie Winery dinner, May 7, '08"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/12/13?? by losblanos1 (While in Mexico, Car...)
William made a pot roast at the camp, so that will be dinner. Good thing, too! We have Homecoming at the church tomorrow, so I'm busy baking a cake, ham, and trying Alina's Potato Salad.

And what have I missed about the fries?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 10/12/13?? by Gourmet_Mom (William made a pot r...)
Mmmm.... way to go William!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura