2 of 10 Top Trends in Food
  Re: (...)
Thought you all might be interested in these trends - and knowing how much I love alligator and octopus, you know I jumped on the first one!!!

One of the Top 10 Food Trends Of 2013
Octopus

[Image: octopus_zpsc137e0ed.jpg]

"In 5 years, octopus will be the new prawn," predicts Joe Rieke, Operations Director for Opper Melang Restaurants, including Seattle’s Ballard Annex Oyster House, "because prawns will not be around anymore, because we ate them all."So octopus is spreading its tentacles far from its traditional base of Italian, Spanish and Japanese restaurants. Imports increased nearly 40 percent between 2010 and 2012.

Lee Wolen, chef de cuisine at the Lobby restaurant at the Peninsula Chicago, calls it a challenging ingredient. "When it’s done right, it’s amazing, although it is very commonly mishandled and often overcooked or undercooked."
One of his preparations (pictured) includes fennel, grapes and morcilla. "In today's food culture, people are more likely to go outside their comfort zone and try something new," says Chef Zach Walrath of the Florentine in Chicago, who seasons his grilled octopus with giant white beans, pancetta, frisee, squid ink aioli, and saffron vinaigrette. "It's a little funky on the plate, with the tentacles and suction cups, but it's also delicious."

Tortas
Look out tacos, your world is about to get rocked.If you thought Mexican food was all about creations wrapped in tortillas, tortas – sandwiches popular at lunchtime across Mexico – will come as a tasty revelation. "I'm seeing tortas on menus at lots of newish casual takeout Mexican places," says Bret Thorn, editor of Nation’s Restaurant News, "including at Chicago's O'Hare Airport, where Rick Bayless has a torta-based restaurant."

“Tortas have all the components of a great sandwich,” says Patricio Sandoval, Chef/Partner of Mercadito Restaurants in New York City, Miami and Chicago, "crispy on the outside and doughy on the inside, spicy, creamy, different meats and unique ingredients."

“Tortas, like tacos, have been around for quite some time and are ready to be noticed,” says Jimmy Shaw, chef/owner of L.A. based Loteria Grill, who used to take tacos to school growing up in Mexico City. His Torta Company restaurant is due to open in L.A.’s downtown business district in December with specialties like the Torta Milanesa (pictured): breaded chicken breast, black beans, tomato, onion, cilantro and creamed avocado.Meanwhile, Mercadito’s tortas include Michoacan-style braised pork with chile de arbol coleslaw and toasted pine nuts, Camaron (shrimp, roasted garlic, chipotle mayo) and Estilo Baja (beer-battered mahi mahi, chipotle aioli, Mexican-style coleslaw).

Barrio and Tico restaurants in Boston make tortas with unconventional fillings like turkey meatballs with cojito cheese, queso fresco, and spicy tomato-ancho chile sauce.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: 2 of 10 Top Trends in Food by cjs (Thought you all migh...)
I'm not sure I'm ready for octopus yet. LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: 2 of 10 Top Trends in Food by Gourmet_Mom (I'm not sure I'm rea...)
Oh c'mon, Daphne!! We'll get you into it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 2 of 10 Top Trends in Food by cjs (Oh c'mon, Daphne!! W...)
I've had octopus. I wasn't sure I loved it. I did scarf down the tentacles on some fried calamari the other day and I never do that! (Actually thought they were the best part)

We have loved tortas for a long time. It's the Mexican Bahn Mi! Slurp, drool. There was an amazing little Mexican grocery in Riverbank that had bolillos that were stuffed with a Mexican cream cheese and a whole jalapeno. We ate them in the car on the way home . . . and wished we'd had more.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: 2 of 10 Top Trends in Food by Harborwitch (I've had octopus. I...)
i had octopus calimari for an appie last night and octopus was in my main dish! WOAH, I am stylish!
  Re: Re: 2 of 10 Top Trends in Food by jodybarnett (i had octopus calima...)
MMmmm octopus!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: 2 of 10 Top Trends in Food by luvnit (MMmmm octopus!...)
Did you like it, Jody? We sure do.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 2 of 10 Top Trends in Food by Gourmet_Mom (I'm not sure I'm rea...)
Quote:

I'm not sure I'm ready for octopus yet. LOL!

Even the picky child will eat fried calamari. He won't each chicken but he'll eat octopus. Go figure. How on earth we ever even got him to try it is beyond me.