10 Ways to Use Leftover Pie Dough
  Re: (...)
Good ideas!!

10 Ways to Use Leftover Pie Dough

If you’ve ever made a pie from scratch, you know that there’s always some dough leftover. Don’t let it go to waste! Here, the F&W Test Kitchen offers some fun (and delicious) uses for those unavoidable scraps.

1. Bite-size quiches. Press the dough into mini muffin tins and fill with savory egg custard and little bits of bacon or leftover vegetables before baking.

2. Flaky cinnamon rolls. Gather the dough, roll it out into a 1/8-inch thick piece and sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar. Roll the dough into a log, slice and bake.

3. Mini empanadas. Gather the dough, roll it out 1/8 inch thick and cut out circles. Fill the centers with leftover chopped chicken and cheese, fold them in half, crimp the edges together and bake for mini empanadas.

4. Nutty cookies. Press chopped nuts into the scraps and bake for easy (albeit irregular) cookies.

5. Wee pains aux chocolats. Gather the dough, roll it out 1/8 inch thick and cut it into triangles. Sprinkle them with chopped dark chocolate and roll them into mini croissants.

6. Sundae toppings. Dust the dough scraps with ground green cardamom and bake them as-is. Crumble the crispy crust pieces for a fun yogurt or ice cream topping.

7. Homemade cheese crackers. Gather the dough, roll it out 1/8 inch thick and cut it into squares. Sprinkle it with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and bake for quick crackers.

8. Exotic pigs in blankets. Wrap the dough pieces around slices of chorizo for a riff on pigs in a blanket.

9. Breakfast pastries. Gather the dough, roll it out 1/8 inch thick and cut it into squares. Fill the centers with fruit compote or preserves, then fold them in half, crimp into triangles and bake into mini turnovers.

10. Delicate breadsticks. Gather the dough, roll it out 1/8 inch thick and cut it into long strips. Dust with sesame seeds and bake for breadsticks.

Source
Author: BY Kay Chun | POSTED NOVEMBER 4, 2013 - F&W newsletter
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: 10 Ways to Use Leftover Pie Dough by cjs (Good ideas!![br][br]...)
Saving!!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: 10 Ways to Use Leftover Pie Dough by cjs (Good ideas!![br][br]...)
I like the cinnamon roll idea. My mom used to do something similar. She would just sprinkle cinnamon sugar on the pie dough, then cut it into squares and bake. We always loved those.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: 10 Ways to Use Leftover Pie Dough by Mare749 (I like the cinnamon ...)
I've always done that only cut into strips. Kids and all love them!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 10 Ways to Use Leftover Pie Dough by cjs (I've always done tha...)
My mom cut them into strips sprinkled sugar and cinnamon on them and then rolled them leaving the end curled the other way and called them Snails