Tamale Help Needed!!
  Re: (...)
It's been at least 100 years since I made tamales - Saturday night we're invited to a Tamale party and everyone is bringing a different flavor.

Did you know there were dessert tamales?? Did not know about these until I started looking into what to make.

Anyway, I've been assigned beef - anyone have a tested, proved and loved recipe??? Thanks
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tamale Help Needed!! by cjs (It's been at least 1...)
Hi jean.

We make tamales about once a year. And always pork.
I have found some great recipes on the internet.
Use broth or meat broth in making tamales
We always use more spice as it seems the flavor will decrease as it cooks
Always soak the corn husk for couple hours.

We love them.

I have had the sweet ones. At christmas. Were in color s had raisins etc inthem.
Very good.

I will talk to my chef friend about how he makes them as we had his this year and they were wonderful

Not sure if my ramblingshelped Lol
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Tamale Help Needed!! by cjs (It's been at least 1...)
Did you know that tamal is the singular form of tamales (except for Americans). LOL!

As for dessert, there are pinapple-coconut tamales, mango tamales, cream-cheese tamales, etc

Have never made tamales, but prefer the Honduran Nacatamales in banana leaves instead of the Mexican tamales in corn husks.

HERE is the recipe for the nacatamales that I posted a while back from a Honduran cookbook. Please note that the images are no longer there but, rather than reposting the old images, I'm going to use a scanner to get better quality images and then post them.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Tamale Help Needed!! by labradors (Did you know that [i...)
I've made tamales from pork, and smoked turkey. In North Dakota we made them from pork and venison. I'm not sure what recipe I used but I'll poke around and see what I can find.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Tamale Help Needed!! by Harborwitch (I've made tamales fr...)
Well, crap, why did they give me beef then for my 'tamal'?????????????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tamale Help Needed!! by cjs (Well, crap, why did ...)
Lots of tamales are made with beef. This looks like the recipe I used for the venison tamales. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler...ecipe.html

I will say that lard makes better tamale masa than crisco and beat the living daylights out of it - fluffy almost! Have fun - wish we were there.
  Re: Re: Tamale Help Needed!! by Harborwitch (Lots of tamales are ...)
I did find a Tyler Florence recipe I think I'll go with - thanks for the idea, tho,Sharon.

I don't have lard, but I do have lots of bacon grease - my second favorite.

I'm also going to make a Citrus Marinated mushrooms appie to take along from an old Mexican book. Think this will be fun.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tamale Help Needed!! by cjs (I did find a Tyler F...)
I wish that I could help. The only tamales that I made were pork and chicken. Good luck!
  Re: Re: Tamale Help Needed!! by cjs (I did find a Tyler F...)
Is that the one on the link? That is the one I did in North Dakota. Everyone really liked them.
  Re: Re: Tamale Help Needed!! by Harborwitch (Is that the one on t...)
Oh how funny - didn't even look - if I'd have looked it would have tempted me and I usually end up with too many ideas.

Yup, tis the one.
www.achefsjourney.com