Maryann's B-day Dinner--review due on May 26
  Re: (...)
Here we go! As promised, here is what I picked for my birthday dinner. Sure wish I could copy the photos to post on here. They are all so appetizing. I hope that everyone will try this, but for anyone who has a complete aversion to anchovies, you could sub Italian dressing, IMHO, and I (we) won't say a word.

Grilled Sausage & Pepper Panzanella

Summer is the perfect season for this colorful, hot off the grill salad. It's almost as satisfying to look at as it is to eat. This salad is paired with Campari and Citrus Soda Cocktail.

¼ cup each red wine vinegar and olive oil
1 T. capers, drained
1 T. minced fresh garlic
1 tsp. each anchovy paste and Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
Salt and black pepper to taste
8 slices Italian baguette, 1-inch thick
1 ½ lbs. sweet Italian sausage links
2 each red and yellow bell peppers,
1 large red onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, halved lengthwise
6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 ½ cups cubed fontina cheese

1. Prepare grill for two-zone grilling, heating one side to medium high and the other side to medium low. Brush grill grate with oil.

2. For the vinaigrette, puree vinegar, 1/4 c. oil, capers, garlic, anchovy paste, Dijon and oregano in a mini food processor. Season with salt and black pepper.

3. For the salad, brush baguettte slices, sausages, bell peppers, and onion slices with 1/4 c. olive oil.

4. Grill peppers over medium high heat, covered, until softened and charred on all sides, about 15 min. Transfer peppers to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand 10-15 min. Peel, seed, and chop peppers.

5. Meanwhile, grill sausages over medium low heat until lightly charred on all sides and an instant read thermometer inserted into center of sausages registers 155°, 10-15 min. Let sausages rest 5-10 min. Slice into 1-inch-thick pieces.

6. Grill onions and baguette over medium-high heat until onions soften, 4-6 minutes per side and baguette toasts, about 2 min. per side. Rub both sides of baguette with cut sides of garlic. Cube baguette and chop onions.

7. Toss romaine, tomatoes, fontina, baguette, sausages, peppers, and onions with vinaigrette.

Servings: 6

Tips
To keep the onions intact while they are on the grill, skewer the slices before grilling.

For the most flavor, rub the grill baguette with the cut side of the garlic clove while still warm.

---------------------------

Compari & Citrus Soda Cocktail

Compari's clean, bittersweet flavors marry well with citrus for a thirst quenching apéritif.

1½ cups water
1/2 cup sugar
Minced zest of two oranges
Minced zest of two lemons
½ cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 cups cold club soda
2 cups Compari
pinch of salt
6 orange slices

1. Heat water, sugar and zests in a saucepan over medium until sugar dissolves. Off heat, stir in orange juice and lemon juice; chill.

2. Just before serving, strain chilled citrus mixture; add club soda.

3. Combine citrus soda, Campari, and a pinch of salt in a pitcher. Divide cocktail among six ice-filled glasses; garnish each with an orange slice.

Yield: 6 cups

Tips
This cocktail was paired with Grilled Sausage and Pepper Panzanella.

------------------------------

Strawberry & Pineapple Trifles with amaretto and vanilla yogurt

1 cup diced fresh strawberries
1 cup diced fresh pineapple
2 Tbsp. Amaretto liqueur
Juice of half a lemon
½ purchased angel food cake, cubed (3 cups)
1 cup fat-free vanilla yogurt (I might have to sub frozen yogurt for some picky people)
¼ cup roasted salted almonds roughly chopped
4 sprigs fresh mint

1. Macerate strawberries and pineapple in Amaretto and lemon juice, 15 min.

2. Layer half of angel food cake on bottom of four 1½- cup trifle dishes; top with half the strawberry mixture, half the yogurt, and half the nuts. Repeat layering.

3. Garnish trifles with mint. Serve trifles immediately or chill until ready to serve.

Servings: 4

Tips
To macerate, soak the strawberries and pineapple in a small amount of Amaretto and lemon juice.

Place almonds in a resealable plastic bag, and use a meat mallet to break them into smaller pieces.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Maryann's B-day Dinner--review due on May 26 by Mare749 (Here we go! As prom...)
It looks like another winner. What cookbook is it from?
  Re: Re: Maryann's B-day Dinner--review due on May 26 by losblanos1 (It looks like anothe...)
I was just going to ask that.

Looks like good choices, Maryann!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Maryann's B-day Dinner--review due on May 26 by cjs (I was just going to ...)
This sounds very good Maryann! I have never made a panzanella salad and this will propel me to do it.
  Re: Re: Maryann's B-day Dinner--review due on May 26 by Trixxee (This sounds very goo...)
Quote:

who has a complete aversion to anchovies

I don't think most folks would even recognize the anchovies in it.

Great menu, Maryann!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Maryann's B-day Dinner--review due on May 26 by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
It looks really good, but no promises.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Maryann's B-day Dinner--review due on May 26 by losblanos1 (It looks like anothe...)
Quote:

What cookbook is it from?

I just spotted it in the latest issue, #105. Page 11.
  Re: Re: Maryann's B-day Dinner--review due on May 26 by Trixxee ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Doh! I've got this recipe already flagged. Sheesh I'm slow! Thanks Trixxee.
  Re: Re: Maryann's B-day Dinner--review due on May 26 by losblanos1 (Doh! I've got this r...)
What's even a more Doh! moment is I didn't have it flagged. Should have!
  Re: Re: Maryann's B-day Dinner--review due on May 26 by Trixxee (What's even a more D...)
Wow, I completely left that out! Talk about a duh moment!

Thank you Trixxee for taking care of that. Actually, all three recipes are from the latest issue.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."