FLEXING MUSSELS - Shannon/Dismc's Recipe
  Re: (...)
Hre's Shannon's recipe from long ago - and it is sure going to be made a lot from now on.

FLEXING MUSSELS - Shannon/Dismc

Dismc/Shannon posted this 3/31/4 - Happy to post this Jean..It's one of Pat's and my favorite meals. Also great for a company dinner.

4 lbs mussels
4 Tbs unsalted butter
1 leek (white part only), washed well, patted dry and thinly sliced
1 cup diced (1/4 inch) fennel bulb
¼ cup finely chopped shallots
2 cups seeded and diced (1/4 inch) tomatoes
½ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
1 Tbs finely minced garlic
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup dry white wine
1 lb dry spaghetti ( or less)

1. If you buy mussels that are not farm-raised and have beards, don’t remove the beards until you’re ready to cook the mussels, or the shellfish will die.

2. Scrub the mussel shells well with a stiff brush and rinse in several changes of cold water. Just before cooking, pull off the beards and discard; reserve mussels.

3. Melt the butter in a large, heavy, nonreactive pot over medium heat. Add the leek, fennel and shallots; cook, stirring, until wilted, about 8 minutes.

4. Add the tomatoes, parsley and garlic; cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

5. Add the mussels and the wine and raise the heat to high. Cover and cook, shaking the pot occasionally, until all the mussels have opened, 6 to 8 minutes. Discard any that do not open. Serve immediately in shallow bowls with the vegetables and broth.

6. I serve with some pasta at the bottom of the bowl and 18 hour bread on the side.

7. From Sheila Lukins Simply Delicious

8. --------------------

9. Shannon

----

My pictures from 5/9/14

[Image: May8FlexingMusselsClams_zps88374a62.jpg]

Cleaned the leftovers (we had 5 1/2 lbs. - Roy's eyes were larger than his stomach) so, I have this to play with.
[Image: May8LeftoversofShannonsclams_zps46ae1d0a.jpg]

We're having these leftovers today for Mother's day.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: FLEXING MUSSELS - Shannon/Dismc's Recipe by cjs (Hre's Shannon's reci...)
I am so craving mussels or clams! That looks beautiful and I like the idea of the campanelle instead of spaghetti.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: FLEXING MUSSELS - Shannon/Dismc's Recipe by Harborwitch (I am so craving muss...)
Thanks, Jean! I can't wait to try this! And I agree, I love the pasta choice!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: FLEXING MUSSELS - Shannon/Dismc's Recipe by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Jean! I can...)
Thanks for posting this, Jean. One question, as I have only ever eaten mussels in a restaurant. If wild mussels have a beard, and you aren't suppose to remove it until just before cooking, then what about the mussels that are farm raised? Don't they have a beard, and if not, does that mean they are dead?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: FLEXING MUSSELS - Shannon/Dismc's Recipe by Mare749 (Thanks for posting t...)
I guess I've never had farm-raised because I've always had to pull the beard off. hmmmm, guess if none have beards they're o.k. Test one or two by tapping gently, if they close up, they're alive.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: FLEXING MUSSELS - Shannon/Dismc's Recipe by cjs (I guess I've never h...)
My experience with store bought mussels was scary. I wound up ditching them. I'm just too used to fresh seafood! I'll stick with clams and other fresh seafood I can get locally! But I WILL buy frozen fish, like salmon. But most other fish, I prefer buying off the boat.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.