Need help again!
  Re: (...)
Here's the next plea for assistance from all you guys!! I have a tournament coming up July 12, 65 or so people. He wants to provide what he calls an "executive buffet." Of course he isn't satisfied with anything off my buffet menu, and he wants at least three meats and special desserts and of course all for $20 pp.

In the past we have done chicken n' biscuits (somehow that qualified as an executive buffet choice, go figure), seafood newburg (which he had an allergic reaction to because he neglected to tell me he was allergic to shrimp after specifically requesting the dish), last year we did a shrimp creole with tomatoes and kielbasa and shrimp (the specific kind he wasn't allergic to now that I know!). Are you getting the picture?

So this year he wants sausage peppers and onions and two other things that he wants me to wow him with. Frankly, I am mentally fried and drawing a blank on something that he would consider spectacular that I can put together without a massive amount of time spent of prep and food cost.

So I turn once again to you guys. Was looking at the kebabs in one of the issues that featured a slice or two of kielbasa, a piece or two of chicken, green pepper, and I would probably add some onion, grilled off. The cost wouldn't be excessive, prep not too bad, don't know how well they would hold. The timing for a tournament can roll anywhere from 4 -1/2 hours to 6+ hours, so the food timing on the table is always dicey.

Any ideas?
  Re: Need help again! by iBcookin (Here's the next plea...)
Well, we have about 10 hours on the road, so I'll be thinking........
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Hi Linda! Great to see you again. Don't know that I would be much help here, but here is my two cents.

I don't think that any kind of kebobs are going to hold well because the meat is cut smaller and might dry out during the holding time, IMHO of course. I would probably opt for something like chicken marsala, chicken cordon bleu, or some type of roullade. Then, hope and pray that it didn't dry out while waiting. Good luck and I can't wait to hear what works out for you.

P.S. I think your food price might be too low.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Need help again! by Mare749 (Hi Linda! Great to s...)
I wouldn't argue that in the least Maryann, but it is what it is here in this area, and they are griping about that! I am grasping at straws here to come up with league specials that can give them massive amounts of food for $6-7!
  Re: Re: Need help again! by Mare749 (Hi Linda! Great to s...)
Hi Linda!

Don't know if my 2 cents would hold water, but that chicken marsala that Maryann mentioned sounded good. Something in a sauce to hold. Chicken cacciatore? There was a great version of a French Onion Salisbury Steak over Cheese Toasts that my Hubby adores - Issue 50, p. 32. For the sauce I add 1 TBS of Tamari soy sauce for a little extra zing.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
I like Maryann's idea for chicken masala. I used to make this a lot, it's easy, cheap, and holds well. It's kind of elegant, but not expensive. Rice and a spinach salad would be nice to go with. It's from a Sunset Magazine Low Fat Cookbook from the 90's.

Bob had the kitchen yesterday for a meatloaf buffet dinner for 65. The time was set for 5 but at 4:30 there was about half the field with 6 holes to go. He did a great job!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Need help again! by Harborwitch (I like Maryann's ide...)
That sounds delicious, Sharon. Plus, by using the thigh meat, it would be less likely to dry out.

But then, if you used the thigh meat for the kebobs you wanted to do, they might be fine, too.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Need help again! by Harborwitch (I like Maryann's ide...)
I make a Ground Beef Patty Marsala that is unusual but tastes great. It can easily be made ahead and reheats well, so no problem if it needs to hold. Ditto for Pub Style Tips with Mushrooms.

Another chicken dish that does well hot, at room temp or cold is Moroccan Chicken with Lentils.
  Re: Re: Need help again! by Cubangirl (I make a Ground Beef...)
I'm no expert, but Chicken Parm? From my experience, it just gets more tender as it simmers really low in the marinara? I like the Marsala idea. The Mushroom Pork Marsala from Cuisine is a favorite? Does a salad with protein, like grilled shrimp or chicken added on request sound stupid? Hard to price, I guess? The French Dip Salisbury steak is REALLY good! And would be really showy with a spinach salad? I'll keep thinking.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Need help again! by Gourmet_Mom (I'm no expert, but C...)
Thought about you all the way home yesterday, Linda. Came up with a couple ideas - I used to have to do tri-tip alot (I persoally hate the cut, but for some reason customers really like it!) Here's two sauces that I used a lot with them. So easy to scale up.

* Exported from MasterCook *

WINE-MUSHROOM SAUCE FOR TRI TIP
Forest House via a Chef's Journey

SAUCE #1
1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup hot beef stock
1 cup brown sauce
1/2 cup dry red wine
S&P to taste
juice of 1/2 lemon may be added
--------
SAUCE #2
1/4 Cup shallots or onions
2 Tablespoons butter
4 ounces mushrooms, halved
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 Tablespoons A.1. Steak sauce
2 Tablespoons red wine
1 Tablespoon parsley

SAUCE #1
Saute the mushrooms in butter; add the beef stock & simmer 10-20 min.

Add brown sauce & wine; simmer ~20 min.
Season and add lemon if desired.

SAUCE #2
Saute shallots in butter 4-5 min; add shrooms saute anothe 5 min.
Stir in Dijon, steak sauce, wine & parsley.
Heat to boil; reduce heat and simmer 10-15 min.

Yield: "2 Cups"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

APPLE-ALMOND CHICKEN
Recipe By :Forest House via a Chef's Journey
Serves ~130
Chicken breasts - cleaned, brined, mark, roast, cut in strips, pan, chill, & heat 350° for ~25 min. for service.
10 each apples
4 large onions, yellow or red
pinch dried thyme
Butter
---------
3 quarts chix stock
3 quarts apple cider
2 quarts heavy cream
3/4 -1 cup Apple schnaps
---------
On hand - beurre manié - 1/2 softened butter/1/2 flour-drop small pcs. in sauce & stir w/whip till smooth. Repeat till desired consistency is reached. Simmer a few min. more to cook flour.
3 cups sliced almonds, toasted - for garnish

Peel, slice apples and onions and cook slowly in butter ~ 1/2 hour.
Add a pinch of dried thyme and mix in.
Set this mixture aside.

In lg. kettle reduce the chix stock and cider by 1/4 (3 + 3 = 6 qts/reduced = 4 1/2 qts)
(NOTE - EASY WAY - POUR 4 1/2 QTS. WATER IN POT, MEASURE AND MARK MEASURER, DISCARD WATER & ADD THE STOCK & CIDER)
Add heavy cream and reduce a little to thicken - for a better thickness add some of the beurre manié.
Add Apple scnhnapps and s&p to taste.

Add apple/onion mixture to the sauce at service time.
Description:
"for ~130"

Serving Ideas : ---------
at service: Ladle apple-almond sauce over chix pcs. and top with toasted almonds.
------------
If you go with a chicken marsala, here's a couple of ideas for garnish that 'jazz' things up.

CHICKEN MARSALA GARNISHES
Recipe By :Forest House Lodge via a Chef's Journey

Capers & fried shallots - great flavor (tried 8/28/04)
Mushroom dust (take coffee grinder into work)
red grapes (1/2'd) add to sauce for ~ 2 min.
Roasted pinenuts & currants
Lemon - zest julienned

------------------
Vegetable Lasagna - this recipe is rather crudely written - more notes for me than anything. But folks like it. And, it is nice when having multiple offerings to have one that is vegetarian.

FOREST HOUSE VEGGIE LASAGNA

Recipe By :Recipes/Monica/Jean - June 2004

7 lbs lasagna noodles
-------
7 lbs fresh mushrooms, sliced
5 c chopped green peppers -- ~6 peppers
5 c chopped onion -- ~5 med.
6 head garlic, roasted with EVO and mashed
3/4 c vege oil (plus the oil from the garlic)
22 lbs - approx. pasta sauce or-
(2) 6#9oz. cans crushed tomatoes
(1) 6#9oz. can marinara sauce
(1) small can tomato paste
(1) 25 oz. jar marinara sauce
2 1/2 Tbsps dried basil
1/2 bottle Merlot
1 qt water, depending on how thick the sauce is
S&P
3 Tbsps sugar
------
6 1/2 lbs Ricotta cheese
7 lbs Mozzarella cheese - divided
14 eggs, beaten slightly
1 lb grated Parmesan cheese

In a large saucepan, cook mushrooms, peppers, onions, garlic in the veggie oil and the oil the garlic roasted in.
Cook for ~20 min.

Stir in the sauces, sugar, merlot, & basil; bring to boil.
Reduce heat, simmer ~1/2 hour.

Mix together the ricotta, 3 1/2 lbs. Mozzarella and eggs.

Cook 1/2 the lasagna noodles, no more than 10 min. - drain and rinse w/cold water.
and then
and then
and then

To Layer:
2 cups sauce
divide the noodles tween the four pans (may have too many -
1/2 the ricotta divided
9 oz. Parm in each hotel pan

Cook the other 1/2 of noodles, drain, rinse, drain

Continue layering:
2 cups sauce
noodles
ricotta
divide the remaining sauce tween the pans
top with remaining 3 1/2 lbs. Mozzarella.

Bake uncovered for ++++++++++___. Let stand at least 1/2 hour before cutting.

Description:
"This amount is for four hotel pans"

--------------------
Easy version of Chicken Parmesan

CHICKEN PARMESAN

Recipe By :ForestHouse Hotel via a Chef's Journey

CHICKEN: Clean, brine, mark, lay out on sheet pans - fairly close.

Mix Mayo wi/a little lemon juice - brush over chix just before roasting.
Top w/ mixture of: Panko/Cornflakes Crumbs/Cracker Meal/Parmesan/S&P

Roast uncovered 350° ~45-50 minutes - remove from oven at 160° and keep for service.

AT SERVICE: Shingle chix. pces in hotel pan, top w/Marinara sauce and a mix. of Parm/Mozz.

--------------
And, a nice side for any of the above or a vege entree - notice the qtys are for 150, I never changed the method - but, pretty straight forward.

BUTTERNUT SQUASH-POLENTA GRATIN

Recipe By :ForestHouse via a Chef's Journey
Serves 150

9 3/8 pounds Butternut squash
12 1/2 tablespoons EVO, plus more for drizzling
to taste salt & pepepr
12 1/2 qts + 2 c water
12 1/2 cups instant polenta (12 oz.)
25 fluid ounces unsalted butter
31 1/4 ounces Parmesan cheese, freshly grated

directions
Preheat the oven to 375°. Butter a 15-by-10-inch ceramic baking dish. Cut off the bulb end of the squash and halve it lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds. Drizzle the halves with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Set the squash halves on a small baking sheet, cut side down, and bake in the lower third of the oven for 30 minutes, or until tender. Scrape the squash flesh into a medium bowl and mash with a fork.

Meanwhile, peel the squash neck and halve it lengthwise. Using a sharp knife or a mandoline, slice the squash crosswise 1/8 inch thick. Lightly oil 2 large rimmed baking sheets and arrange the squash slices on them. Cover with foil and bake in the upper third of the oven for 12 minutes, or until tender. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°.

In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and slowly add the polenta, whisking constantly until smooth. Reduce the heat to low and whisk until thickened, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the mashed squash. Stir in 6 tablespoons of the butter and 1 cup of the Parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Spread the polenta in the prepared baking dish and arrange the baked squash slices on top in an overlapping pattern.

Cut the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter into small pieces and scatter them over the gratin. Sprinkle the remaining 1/3 cup of cheese over the top and bake in the upper third of the oven for 1 hour, or until bubbling and golden. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.

MAKE AHEAD The recipe can be prepared through Step 3 and refrigerated for up to 5 days. Bring to room temperature before baking.

That's about all I can remember.......... Good luck be sure to let us know how well it all goes!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com