Anyone Tired of Pulled Pork???
  Re: (...)
I wasn't going to post this, but we so enjoyed it, thought I might as well go ahead. I am sick to death of pulled pork!! I had one lonely pork shoulder roast left in the freezer, so I made a dry rub and here I apologize because I can't remember where the dry rub came from. I know I just looked at 3 or 4 recipes to see what I wanted to do.

the rub: Note: I kind of mangled the roast - just cut thru the meat about 1" to 1 1/2"apart to the bone so that the rub would work down into the meat.

[Image: July6Porkshoulderroast_zps4ffb2864.jpg]

2 T. brown sugar
4 tsp. salt
4 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. garlic powder

rubbed it and allow to marinate overnight. Lined a soup pot with 2 sheets of parchment paper (from the method for Mexican Braised Pork Soulder, C@H, Feb. 2008). Layed a thick layer of sliced onions, placed the roast on top of the onions, poured about 2 cups of some pork broth I had left from something, but I had intended to use beer or coke.
Closed the parchemnt paper around the roast, covered and braised for 3 1/2 hours.

When I took it out of the oven I really didn't know what I was going to do with it from there, maybe add some kind of BBQ sauce or sauce of some kind. But, when we tasted it, it was just wonderful as is. So, we left it.

I will do this again with different rubs, without adding all the sauce crap and allow the meat to shine. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

[Image: July6porkroastwricekalamatafeta_zps7a7ea68b.jpg]

Served it with brown rice mixed with kalamatas and feta. What a nice dinner.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Anyone Tired of Pulled Pork??? by cjs (I wasn't going to po...)
Oooh Jean!

This looks good!! I haven't done a pulled pork in a while and have none left in the freezer. I like to add sliced onions and chopped garlic when I braise in the oven. And then add MORE an hour before it's done because all those other goodies have disintegrated. And I use apple juice for braising water like some of the good folk on this board told me. but I like your rub and cooking time.

So you did this in a soup pot? Good Lord! How big was the shoulder?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Anyone Tired of Pulled Pork??? by BarbaraS (Oooh Jean![br][br]Th...)
Not really a soup soup pot - the roast was 4-5 lbs. only. I like using apple juice also. I guess what I'm just tired of is the BBQ sauce plus the shredded pork. boring...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anyone Tired of Pulled Pork??? by cjs (Not really a soup so...)
Yep, I hear you. So tired of pulled pork with all the sauce. We keep the sauce on the side now. I use a pretty fair amount of rub and do it the night before cooking. I think that's all it needs except maybe some coleslaw and a good bun.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Anyone Tired of Pulled Pork??? by Mare749 (Yep, I hear you. So ...)
I'm glad I'm not the only one!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anyone Tired of Pulled Pork??? by cjs (I'm glad I'm not the...)
Jean we never use a thick sweet sauce here. A light dressing of a vinegar base is all we use, if anything at all. Traditional NC style. But I don't know when if ever William will do BBQ again. He ate a ridiculous amount the night he had his heart attack.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Anyone Tired of Pulled Pork??? by Gourmet_Mom (Jean we never use a ...)
Daphne, what a shame that William can't enjoy it any more.
I have to always remind Ron that there is plenty of meat for tomorrow.

Do you have a recipe for your vinegar sauce?

I would also like a tried and true recipe for coleslaw that IS NOT sweet. I have several of those and love them, but would like to try one that is vinegar based and no sugar.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Anyone Tired of Pulled Pork??? by Mare749 (Daphne, what a shame...)
Daphne, I'm just tired of any kind of pulled pork - with the sauce. Remember when chipotles had to be in very dish? kinda how I feel about pulled pork.

I'm like William - except it is tartar sauce. Can't eat it since the night of my last attack.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anyone Tired of Pulled Pork??? by cjs (Daphne, I'm just tir...)
Maryann, we always have used mayo, a sprinkling of sugar, and a tad of vinegar to give it that twang. The only non mayo recipe I have ever used is that Chinese version with the Ramein noodles? Anyway, here is a scaled down version of my dad's sauce. My mom still has his hand written copy. She swears this is how he did it, but I never remember him adding the bottle sauce to it. William and I have done it minus that.

Pork BBQ Sauce

1/2 gal. Vinegar
1/6 box of salt
1/2 small handful of crushed red pepper
1 tsp. ground red pepper
2-3 tsp. paprika
1 small bottle Kraft regular BBQ Sauce

Combine above and boil at least 5 minutes.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Anyone Tired of Pulled Pork??? by Gourmet_Mom (Maryann, we always h...)
We are using a lighter rub and smoke on our pork butt now. Our favorite sauce is from "Smoke & Spice" - a Carolina Red sauce that is simply vinegar, catsup, and red pepper flakes. Simple, tasty, and since we are very careful about the catsup we buy (no HFC or artifical ingredients) we figure it's healthier than most bottled stuff.

We're not sick of it - but I'm ready for some ribs, brisket and maybe turkey.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!