Cheese & Pepper Pasta Recipe
  Re: (...)
How simple and I can't think of much this pasta dish would not go with. It's not healthy but it sure is good. Just checked - it's from a Saveur mag. newsletter.

I subbed about 5 oz. of Asiago cheese for the 7 oz. called for in the recipe and it was cheesey enough for us. Plus we have enough for 3 dinners rather than 4 servings. I also used campanelle rather than spaghetti or a long pasta.

[Image: July10CheeseandPepperPasta_zpsab4936eb.jpg]

Cheese and Pepper Pasta (Cacio e Pepe) SOON

Less is more in this elemental Roman pasta dish, which takes its spiciness from cracked black pepper toasted in oil. We featured this pasta recipe as part of writer Anya von Bremzen's ode to Rome, "Eternal Pleasures," in our April 2010 issue.

Kosher salt, to taste
1 lb pasta, preferably tonnarelli or spaghetti
4 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper, plus more to taste
1 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano
¾ cup finely grated Cacio de Roma

1. Bring a 6-qt. pot of salted water to a boil.

2. Add pasta; cook until al dente, 8–10 minutes; reserve 1 cup pasta water and drain pasta.

3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a 12" skillet over medium heat until shimmering.

4. Add pepper; cook until fragrant, 1–2 minutes.

5. Ladle ¾ cup pasta water into skillet; bring to a boil.

6. Using tongs, transfer pasta to skillet; spread it evenly.

7. Sprinkle ¾ cup each Pecorino Romano and Cacio de Roma over pasta; toss vigorously to combine until sauce is creamy and clings to the pasta without clumping, about 2 minutes, adding some pasta water if necessary.

8. Transfer to 4 plates and sprinkle with remaining Pecorino and more pepper.

9. Pairing Note A medium-bodied sangiovese, like the 2005 Brancaia Tre Toscana, will complement this dish's peppery notes. —David Rosengarten

Yield: MAKES 4 SERVINGS
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Cheese & Pepper Pasta Recipe by cjs (How simple and I can...)
Sounds yummy except for the pork belly. Just can't wrap my brain around that one. I do love bacon, but it has to be really crispy and no soft fat. I have always had an aversion to it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Cheese & Pepper Pasta Recipe by cjs (How simple and I can...)
This sounds super good! I'm always game for simple sides! This is going on the menu. I have got to remember to look for this pasta! It looks so good.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.