Onion Gratin
  Re: (...)

Saw this dish on a newsletter from Saveur and immediately thought, well heck, they are copying my recipe.
Saveur's Onion Gratin

Here’s my version –

Onion Gratin
Years ago this dish was called “Gourmet Onions,” but it always seemed too pretentious to me. It wasn’t long before family and friends referred to it as “Onion Gratin.” Serve it along side any meat or poultry ~ it compliments any meat dish.

3 large white onions cut in half and thinly sliced. (You’ll want 4 cups)
5 T. butter
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt & pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 425°F
Sauté onions in butter until transparent. Place them in a greased 1 1/2- to 2-quart au gratin dish or flat casserole.

Beat eggs until light and frothy; add sour cream, salt and pepper; mix together. Pour over onions and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Serves 8.
---------------
I think I’ll try this by decreasing Parm and add some gorgonzola – I think it would be wonderful.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Onion Gratin by cjs ([br]Saw this dish on...)
Btw Jean's recipe is very good!! I've made it a few times now.
  Re: Re: Onion Gratin by DFen911 (Btw Jean's recipe is...)
It really is one of those recipes that just calls out for 'playing'!! Thanks Denise.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Onion Gratin by cjs (It really is one of ...)
Now that looks like something I will enjoy....to play with while Peter is gallivanting half way across the world. Printed and will do. Thanks Jean
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Onion Gratin by Roxanne 21 (Now that looks like ...)
Roxanne, let me know if you change anything - I would love to see different versions.

and, of course, if you like it.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Onion Gratin by cjs (Roxanne, let me know...)
Count on it!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Onion Gratin by Roxanne 21 (Count on it!! [img...)
Like Roxanne, I will have to try this when there are lots of people around or William isn't here.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Onion Gratin by Gourmet_Mom (Like Roxanne, I will...)
Hmmm, Gorgonzola? How about some Gruyere with Parm? Do you need a cheese that can crisp or a melty one?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Onion Gratin by BarbaraS (Hmmm, Gorgonzola? H...)
I'd vote melty! Gruyere sounds great to me! I'm so glad I have to make a special into town for good cheese! Otherwise, I'd be in trouble!!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Onion Gratin by Gourmet_Mom (I'd vote melty! Gru...)
melty - and just about any cheese will go with onions, so go wild! (I don't think I'd like MOzz, tho - not enough flavor.)
www.achefsjourney.com