Sun dried tomatoes question
  Re: (...)
Trixxee's pasta recipe calls for them packed in oil. The little grocery store here only had them dried. Cook's Thesaurus suggested steeping them in boiling water for 5 minutes. I'm assuming that means bring it to a boil, drop dried tomatoes, and turn off heat.

My question is, will that suffice in the recipe? The line in the recipe reads "1/4 cup oil packed sundried tomatoes, chopped".
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Sun dried tomatoes question by Gourmet_Mom (Trixxee's pasta reci...)
When I developed my recipe for Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce, I originally used the dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes. Instead of soaking them ahead of time, I just simmered them in chicken stock (that I was going to use in the recipe, anyway) for ten minutes.

In Honduras, I used the oil-packed ones, since the dry ones weren't available. No change to the recipe procedure, though, since that simmering is also part of the flavour development.

So, if the recipe you're using simmers the tomatoes long enough, you shouldn't have to worry about a pre-soak.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Sun dried tomatoes question by labradors (When I developed my ...)
But you might want to add a little oil to the dish for flavor, texture.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sun dried tomatoes question by cjs (But you might want t...)
Thanks, guys! The oil was what I was wondering about.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.