Smoked & Grilled Baby Back Ribs-Revised
  Re: (...)
This is a rib recipe/method I put together a couple of years ago which we love, but I've revised a portion of it and we like it even better. The only part that is different is "To finish the ribs:" section. Basically, not add BBQ sauce to the ribs on the grill as you finish them - big difference.

This may look long and fussy, but over a couple of days, there isn't much hands on time.

Smoked & Grilled Baby Back Ribs*****
[Image: July%20Smoked%20Ribs%20w%20Good%20Sh-t_zpsurtsaanu.jpg]

This simpler method and seasoning brings out the best in the ribs – you get wonderful flavor you can enjoy and not be hit in the face with highly seasoned rub.
Developed July 3, 2013

2 2-1/4 lbs. rack of ribs
--------
Rub:
1 Tbs kosher
1 Tbs packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
-------
Glaze:
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbs hot water
-------
12 oz bottle of favorite beer
-------
Pan juices
Cider Vinegar & Favorite BBQ sauce for ‘mopping’ sauce

Day 1:
After removing the membrane from the underside of 2 2-1/4 lbs. rack of ribs, set aside and combine the rub ingredients and rub both sides of the ribs. Lay the ribs in a pan large enough to hold them in one layer with just a slight overlap of the racks. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Soak your wood chips overnight – I use apple and/or mesquite.

Day 2:
Start your smoker and keep temperature at 200°F. While the smoker is heating, get the ribs ready and combine the honey and hot water for the glaze to be used as you smoke.

With tongs transfer the racks of ribs to 2 or 3 smoker racks and when smoke starts, put the racks in the smoker. Smoke for 2 1/2 to 3 hours keeping the temperature as close to 200°F. as possible and brushing the tops of ribs with the honey/water glaze each time you need to add wood chips or every 45 minutes or so. I also spray the underside of the ribs with apple juice/water mixture (50/50) to help keep moist.

After the smoking time, remove from the smoker and lay in a roasting pan which has a rack placed inside and pour the beer over the ribs. Wrap tightly in foil and bake in a 300°F oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until ribs are very tender but NOT falling off the bone. To enjoy the ribs to the fullest, you want just the slightest pull to the meat as you bite into them. To serve at a later time, cool the ribs, wrap tightly and refrigerate until ready to finish off.

To finish the ribs:
While the ribs are chilling, pour about a cup of the pan juice into a bowl and whisk together with a mixture of cider vinegar and your favorite barbecue sauce.

You can prepare the ribs to this point up to 2 days ahead of serving. When ready to serve, heat your grill to medium heat and cut the ribs into 2 to 3 rib sections (or leave the racks intact, whichever you prefer) and lay on the grill mopping it lavishly with the cider blend as you flip.

The meat is already cooked, so you're just looking for a light char and a deep amber color on the meat. Note: Resist the urge to brush with BBQ sauce at this point as it will just burn. Better to serve on the side as a condiment. After removing from the grill, allow the ribs to rest for 5 minutes to redistribute the juices.

Author: a Chef's Journey
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Smoked & Grilled Baby Back Ribs-Revised by cjs (This is a rib recipe...)
So you're saying to brush while cooking on grill, but don't brush when you get that lovely char?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Smoked & Grilled Baby Back Ribs-Revised by Gourmet_Mom (So you're saying to ...)
Brush ribs with the vinegar mixture while on the grill; serve BBQ sauce on the side as a condiment. Or, brush when taken off the grill and serve; whichever.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Smoked & Grilled Baby Back Ribs-Revised by cjs (Brush ribs with the ...)
This is very similar to the method that Ron used last Sunday that we all decided were his best ribs yet. However, we both agreed that there was too much rub on them and will use a much light hand with the seasoning. Now, I can't wait to try your method, Jean.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Smoked & Grilled Baby Back Ribs-Revised by Mare749 (This is very similar...)
I have ribs in the fridge, but haven't found my cayenne yet... For a pinch
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Smoked & Grilled Baby Back Ribs-Revised by cjs (I have ribs in the f...)
Thanks for the clarification, Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Smoked & Grilled Baby Back Ribs-Revised by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the clari...)
Posted on wrong thread . Ribs are rubbed and doing their thing.
www.achefsjourney.com