Anoher Pickle Brine Idea!
  Re: (...)
O.K., I give up - I'm going to join the 'group' and go with some brine playing. But, I think my brine of choice will be B&B, since I'm not a big dill pickle fan. This sounds so good, that I'll probably start with it -

Stuart Brioza's Mushrooms in Pickle-Brine Butter

Author Notes: Unless you're approaching the proportions used for pickles (i.e. literally swimming in brine), it's just a contained burst of acid, salt, and mulled seasonings that together work background magic. Used in tablespoons, not pints, it doesn't announce itself, but somehow makes the butter and mushrooms speak louder and more clearly. Adapted slightly from Food & Wine and State Bird Provisions (less) - Genius Recipes.
http://food52.com/blog/13043-the-genius-...24_SundayDIgest

1 stick plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
6 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
3 medium shallots, thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
3 lbs mixed mushrooms, such as cremini, oyster, and stemmed shiitake, thickly sliced or quartered
3/4 cup brine, strained from a jar of dill pickles
Kosher salt
Pepper

1. In a very large skillet, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over moderately high heat, swirling, until the butter is golden, about 2 minutes.

2. Add 1/3 of the shallots to the skillet and cook, stirring, until softened, about 1 minute.

3. Add 1/3 of the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden, 5 to 7 minutes.

4. Add 1/3 of the pickle brine and cook until absorbed, about 1 minute.

5. Transfer the mushrooms to a serving bowl and keep warm.

6. Repeat the process 2 more times with the remaining butter, olive oil, mushrooms and pickle brine.

7. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper to taste and serve.

Yield: Serves 6 to 8, but scales down well

Source
Author: By Genius Recipes • May 19, 2015

Author Notes
Shallots vary in size (and you will probably need to use whole shallots, as opposed to lobes of a shallot), but yes, this is correct! When sliced as opposed to minced, they take up more volume in the cup. And if you have more or less, the recipe will still be good.

-Maybe nobody told you that tossing pickle brine is just like tipping a perfectly good bottle of vinegar or fish sauce or Worcestershire down the drain. Maybe you never heard that you could cook with brine, not just use it as a bracing, salty slap to chase your sorrows. Or maybe you assumed that brine would always take over, setting its vinegar and salt and spice on top of everything else. You might even have slipped some pickle juice into potato salad or Bloody Marys, where blandness signals a crushing defeat.

But as I learned from Stuart Brioza, chef-owner of State Bird Provisions in San Francisco, brine could be doing so much more. He splashes dill pickle brine into buttery sautéed mushrooms—refined, seasonal, expensive mushrooms. And it makes them even better.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Anoher Pickle Brine Idea! by cjs (O.K., I give up - I'...)
That sounds delicious!! Copied and saved.
  Re: Re: Anoher Pickle Brine Idea! by karyn (That sounds deliciou...)
I can't wait to try this! Thanks, Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Anoher Pickle Brine Idea! by cjs (O.K., I give up - I'...)
I've saved this one!! Thanks!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.