Please Tell Me Something
  Re: (...)
All this talk about 2 vs. 3 vs. 4 oz. of protein has got me really perplexed!

Why if this amount is so satisfying to us, and not to so many other, then why the hell are we the fat ones??????

And, to top it off, this chicken & noodle stew from #115 - 'suggest' the servings are for "2"!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is just ridiculous as I have almost 2 qts of stew. I've divided it up between two dinners and even doing that Roy will have a bowl for breakfast, also.

Confusion reigns around here.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Please Tell Me Something by cjs (All this talk about ...)
LOL Jean.

Generally people don't gain weight from consuming quite a bit of of lean protein. But carbs like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, wine, desserts (obviously) and even some fruits turn into sugar and weight gain can be the result.

That's why low carb/high protein diets are effective and popular - the problem is unless you are really dedicated it's hard to eliminate all that stuff on a regular basis.

I'm rarely successful for more than about 5 days. My brother and my mom both lost 25 pounds each last year by eliminating bad carbs and neither starved. They ate a ton of eggs, fish, chicken, turkey, sweet potatoes, most vegetables, only berries as the fruit.
  Re: Re: Please Tell Me Something by Trixxee (LOL Jean.[br][br]Gen...)
I think Trixxee pretty much said it all. And, it is really hard to give up the bad carbs for any length of time. The one and only time I lost a significant amount of weight was when I got help from a nutritionist who had me weigh/measure anything starchy and cut out sugar completely including alcohol.

Oh, and I walked for an hour every day! Guess I should get back to that again...
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Please Tell Me Something by Mare749 (I think Trixxee pret...)
"....cut out sugar completely including alcohol."

oh, hell no!!

I realize the protein vs. starch vs. fruit vs. every darn thing, but like for pasta - if a dish calls for 1 lb. pasta, I use 10-12 oz. and for 1/2 a lb. I've often have just used 4 oz. (all before cooking) Anyway, maybe I just needed to vent.

carry on with life.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Please Tell Me Something by cjs ("....cut out sugar c...)
Yea, I saw something on Dr. Oz recently about giving up alcohol for a month and the health benefits you would experience. I don't know what they were, because I stopped listening! LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Please Tell Me Something by Gourmet_Mom (Yea, I saw something...)
wise woman and I raise my glass to you, Darlin'
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Please Tell Me Something by cjs (wise woman and I rai...)
"person!" CHEERS!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Please Tell Me Something by Gourmet_Mom ("Chink!" CHEERS!...)
Ha Daphne!!!

Alcohol, especially wine, is a huge culprit.

Tony and I cut out all alcohol for 3 months some years back and the weight literally was dropping off.

Why is it so hard to do that again?
  Re: Re: Please Tell Me Something by cjs ("....cut out sugar c...)
Quote:

I realize the protein vs. starch vs. fruit vs. every darn thing, but like for pasta - if a dish calls for 1 lb. pasta, I use 10-12 oz. and for 1/2 a lb. I've often have just used 4 oz. (all before cooking) Anyway, maybe I just needed to vent.

But in general if you filled 2/3 of your plate with vegetables/salad and 1/3 of your plate in lean meat and eliminated the pasta completely, you'd definitely notice a difference if your weight over a period of time unless you are an anomaly.

But it's hard to do that on a long term basis. Bread and wine are my biggest foes. I also happen to love pasta too.
  Re: Re: Please Tell Me Something by Trixxee ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
But speaking of veggies, this morning I ordered a veggie spiraler. A friend of mine has been using hers and loves it. She is making this recipe this week. I am willing to try subbing vegetables for pasta. If Tony doesn't care for it I can do it for my lunches anyway.

http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/zuc...ai-recipe/