Thank you, Alina!
  Re: (...)
A few weeks ago, Alina posted about her new Instant Pot she got for Christmas. In that first post, she mentioned she was going to try it out with a family favorite...a Hawaiian-Style Braised Rib recipe. After looking up the recipe, I had put it on my list to try as soon as country pork ribs went on sale. That happened this week, so I picked up a big pack to try this week. We had them tonight..

OMG!!!!! This was an outrageous meal!! When I first put it on, it smelled like it was going to be too sweet. I was so wrong! I followed the recipe to the letter, including making the stir fried cabbage. There was so much flavor in this recipe! And the pork is so tender, you almost don't need teeth! I considered making rice to go with it, but after trying it when he got home, William said it would just be a distraction. Plus he LOVES cabbage.

I don't know if any of you have noticed my complaints about William and his sauces, but I complain often how he puts some sort of sauce on EVERYTHING! Tonight he brought Worchestershire, sesame oil, and Sriracha to the table. He didn't use any of them! He gave it a ten, and he doesn't do that often.

It seemed weird to just have the cabbage for a side, but as soon as I tasted it all together, I understood. Like William said, anything else would have been a distraction. This was a VERY cheap meal but PACKED with flavor!

For those that missed it, here is the recipe with the link.

Hawaiian-Style Braised Pork with Stir-Fried Cabbage

BON APPÉTIT APRIL 2002
YieldMakes 6 to 8 servings
3 1/2 pounds boneless country-style pork spareribs, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 garlic cloves, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
1 14-ounce can low-salt chicken broth
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
Stir-fried Cabbage (see below)

Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
Add 1/3 of pork to pot and sauté until brown, about 6 minutes; transfer to bowl.
Repeat with remaining pork.
Add garlic, green onions, and ginger to pot; sauté 1 minute.
Return pork and any juices to pot.
Add 1 1/2 cups broth, soy sauce, sugar, crushed red pepper, and five-spice powder; bring to boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until pork is very tender, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Stir remaining broth and cornstarch in cup to dissolve; mix into pork.
Simmer until gravy thickens, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
Season with pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly and chill. Rewarm over low heat.) Serve pork with cabbage.

Stir Fried Cabbage
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 2-pound green cabbage, quartered, cored, very thinly sliced
6 green onions, chopped
1 tablespoon oriental sesame oil

Heat vegetable oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add ginger and stir 30
seconds. Add half of cabbage and toss until wilted, about 4 minutes. Add remaining
cabbage, green onions, and sesame oil. Toss until all cabbage is crisp-tender, about 4
minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...-cabbage-106422

Alina, thanks again. This will be made again, and William has asked that I make the cabbage recipe often.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Thank you, Alina! by Gourmet_Mom (A few weeks ago, Ali...)
The ribs do sound very tasty! Very close to how I've done cabbage. We love it as a side.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thank you, Alina! by cjs (The ribs do sound v...)
You are most welcome. I'm s happy you enjoyed it. It is one of my favorites as well.
  Re: Re: Thank you, Alina! by Cubangirl (You are most welcome...)
That sounds delicious! And I love fried cabbage. Copied to my recipe file - thanks!! And it will be perfect to do over the wood stove some afternoon.
  Re: Re: Thank you, Alina! by iBcookin (That sounds deliciou...)
Linda, if you like cabbage you might want to check out Thursday's dinner thread - the dressing I drizzled over cabbage was delicious
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com