Saturday's Dinner, 4/2/16??
  Re: (...)
What's for dinner for everyone today?/

I hate not having plans ahead of time, but with the crazy weather we have this time of year (well, what everyone is having I guess ), I never know when I can get out and grill and I always want to be ready.

So, I guess I'll search thru a few older C@H and get some ideas.

O/T moment -
By the way, is anyone else watching Little Big Shots on TV? I don't think we've ever laughed as hard at a show in a long time. And, another one since I'm on the subject....anyone watching Race to the White House? It's really fascinating. Last week's was Lincoln/Douglas and they've also done Truman/Dewey. So interesting.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saturday's Dinner, 4/2/16?? by cjs (What's for dinner fo...)
I'm in planning mode today. I'm going to cruise through the grilling books for ideas for the next few weeks. And I'm going to revisit the favorites list as well. That should get me started.

Tonight is the last idea on my list for March. I cooked a London Broil early in that plan. I froze half of it for another meal. Tonight I'm going to turn it into Beef and Broccoli. Hope this works!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 4/2/16?? by Gourmet_Mom (I'm in planning mode...)
Good planning, Daphne.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 4/2/16?? by cjs (Good planning, Daphn...)
I've got some ribs ready to go into the oven. It's colder than usual and rainy here.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 4/2/16?? by BarbaraS (I've got some ribs r...)
I keep forgetting to record Race to the White House. My best friend has been raving about it. Is anyone watching The Family on Sunday ABC with Joan Allen? I'm addicted to it. It sounds like such a wholesome show - very deceiving. LOL.

Today I'm making Karyn's flank steak and the potatoes she made with it. Broccolini on the side.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 4/2/16?? by BarbaraS (I've got some ribs r...)
  Re: Post deleted by sysadmin by (...)
We're watching the family also.......creepy!!

Susan, I made these kabobs a couple years ago and really liked them. I marinated them and then my notes say I smoked them after....don't remember, but evidently we really liked. Didn't make the Maque Choux from the book as I have my favorite version.

--

Well, I have a plan for 2 days now anyway!!
Today we're having a 'Hoagie-style' sandwich for Roy Richard - using the flank steak (Karyn's idea) plus kraut, gruyere, tomato, red onion and Russian-style dressing.

I'm also making a Longevity Noodle Soup for a couple of our later snacks.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 4/2/16?? by cjs (We're watching the f...)
Another day where everything sounds so good.

That looks awesome Susan.

Carylann's making a new one, the taco salad with Salsa Vinaigrette from the Weeknight Menus Vol 2 cook book.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 4/2/16?? by losblanos1 (Another day where ev...)
Susan, thanks for reminding me about that dinner. John absolutely adores the Maque Choux. I'm going to have to do it again soon.

Trixxee, I just wish I was talented enough to come up with recipes like the flank steak! I hope you enjoy it.

Tonight, I'm using up what we have in the fridge and freezer (too much) and harvesting herbs that have thrived during this mild winter. We're having Grilled Chicken, Red Onion and Mint Kebabs with Greek Salad. It's actually one of my favorites. I made some pita from a Serious Eats recipe to serve with the dinner because I forgot to pick them up at the Jewish bakery near our house.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 4/2/16?? by karyn (Susan, thanks for re...)
Susan, that sure looks good!

Karyn, you made your own pita? I'm impressed!

Dinner turned out better than expected, so I thought I'd share. See notes at the end of the recipe. And yes, I regret not turning that front piece of broccoli around. But I was hungry!

[Image: 467d7268b917375a68c6e5fc32a412f2.jpg]

Restaurant Style Beef and Broccoli

Dianne
"This is my go-to recipe when I want Chinese food without having to go out. Very easy and delicious. Substituting chicken for the beef works great too. Serve over rice."
Ingredients
1/3 cup oyster sauce
2 teaspoons Asian (toasted) sesame oil
1/3 cup sherry
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch

3/4 pound beef round steak, cut into 1/8-inch thick strips
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more if needed
1 thin slice of fresh ginger root
1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
1 pound broccoli, cut into florets

Directions
Whisk together the oyster sauce, sesame oil, sherry, soy sauce, sugar, and cornstarch in a bowl, and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Place the steak pieces into a shallow bowl, pour the oyster sauce mixture over the meat, stir to coat well, and marinate for at least 30 minutes in refrigerator.

Heat vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat, and stir in the ginger and garlic. Let them sizzle in the hot oil for about 1 minute to flavor the oil, then remove and discard. Stir in the broccoli, and toss and stir in the hot oil until bright green and almost tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the broccoli from the wok, and set aside.

Pour a little more oil into the wok, if needed, and stir and toss the beef with the marinade until the sauce forms a glaze on the beef, and the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Return the cooked broccoli to the wok, and stir until the meat and broccoli are heated through, about 3 minutes.

Notes: (4/2/16) I doubled the sauce. I used leftover medium rare London Broil, but I treated it like raw except for cooking time. I marinated for a couple of hours. Next time, I want to try it without the sugar. We thought it was a bit too sweet.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/191156/rest...-broccoli/
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.