T.G.I.F. Dinner, 8/26/16??
  Re: (...)
What's for dinner today??

Pizza here - I'm inundated with cherry tomatoes, so those and gouda and a little basil pesto.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 8/26/16?? by cjs (What's for dinner to...)
Psssst Jean! It's Friday.

Took the day off work. Going to pick up something for dinner while we're shopping.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 8/26/16?? by BarbaraS (Psssst Jean! It's Fr...)
Piddle.................. (thank you)

Barbara and Tracie keep me in line.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 8/26/16?? by cjs (Piddle.................)
We are going to the "Night Market" in Chinatown. Street food, fireworks, entertainment. So probably eating a lot of dim sum.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 8/26/16?? by Mare749 (We are going to the ...)
No sauce, no meat, no mozzarella!! But, one of the best pizzas I’ve made. Beautiful home-grown cherry tomatoes roasted with panko, garlic, shallot, basil & Olive oil and topping the pizza with the sweet tomatoes, aged smoked Gouda (a little Parmesan) and drizzled with basil pesto. How simple and how tasty!! This pizza idea is from a New York Pizza maker, Chef Shea Gallante

[Image: Aug%2026%20cherry%20tomatoes%20ready%20t...ipxz2f.jpg]

[Image: Aug%2026%20Cherry%20tomatoes%20roasted_zpsnvqeszwd.jpg]

[Image: Aug%2026%20charred%20Cherry%20Tomato%20a...s7eh2d.jpg]
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 8/26/16?? by cjs (No sauce, no meat, n...)
Oh my, Jean! I thought I could go to bed without dinner! You're killing me!

So I just finished work. I pay bills every month on this date. (Jean, if it will make you feel better, I thought today was the 25th? OOPS!). Anyway, since some bills are done by phone, I have to wait until after hours to pay. Plus, we were too busy to even pay the online ones today.

But I did have a great lunch! There is a little place called Old Bridge Diner that we like. They have great sandwiches and breakfasts, we had heard. And they stay packed. But to be honest, I can't get past my favorite. Now there is a little history and nostalgia here...bear with me.

When I was in my early teens, we were members of a country club since my daddy had become a golfing enthusiast. I was and still am a water baby, and they had a great pool! So every summer for several years, my daddy would go pick me up around 10am to drop me off at the pool! He'd then work in a round of golf in the late afternoon and pick me up to go home at dinner time.

There was a small group of us that became buddies (including the course pro's son) and we had the run of the place all summer long! If that wasn't enough, my dad set me up with an account at the grill to eat at will. I didn't know how good I had it!

Anyway, that was the first place I ever remember eating a club sandwich. And it quickly became one of my favorites. ( The dinners were great when I got to go. I had my first real steak dinner there, too. But another story.) This began my love for these sandwiches. I have had many since then, but few have lived up to the memory. This diner delivers! They do it right! It may not look like much, but trust me!

[Image: 7d004d3428ae3fccdee18ec9f3068c92.jpg]

And yes, I forgot and took a bite! LOL! I regret not taking a picture of my onion rings. I know their fries are great, but I took a chance on onion rings today. I can't remember the last time I've had an awesome order. Again, they delivered! The onion was almost melted into the yummy batter. When asked, the staff grinned and told me they hand dip their onion rings in a house beer batter on site. And all this and a drink for $10.99. Love this place!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 8/26/16?? by Gourmet_Mom (Oh my, Jean! I thou...)
Jean, your pizza is gorgeous. Sort of a fancy-schmanzy margherita pizza. I'm copying the ingredients so that I can try this.

Daphne, club sandwiches have long been my favorite as well. They have to be made the old-fashioned way, and it looks like yours was. What a great find and great prices!

The night market in Chinatown was fun. Lots of dim sum, every kind of meat stick you can imagine, (my favorite was the spicy lamb) and endless varieties of Asian food from the many local restaurants that set up woks, grills, steam tables, etc.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 8/26/16?? by Mare749 (Jean, your pizza is ...)
Wow!! What a day for food we all had. Clubs, I love also. They were my favorite to put together for the golfers at the club I worked years ago.

Great background story, Daphne - we are both water babies. I still love to swim and I'd kill for a pool - a lap pool!!

Maryann, here's the recipe I used especially to show the method for the tomatoes - make a lot, 'cause they are like eating candy after they come out of the oven.

Pizza with Charred Cherry Tomatoes and Pesto*****

These crisp-crusted individual pies are a much more elegant version of the pizzas at Mama Mia's in New York's Dutchess County that Shea Gallante grew up making. Here, he tops them with sweet tomatoes, aged Gouda and a little pesto. Serves 6

3/4 lb cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 shallot, thinly sliced
5 basil leaves, torn
2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Pizza Dough
3/4 cup coarsely grated aged Gouda (3 ounces)
6 Tbs freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Basil Pesto

1. Preheat the broiler. In a medium baking dish, toss the cherry tomatoes with the panko, garlic, shallot, basil and olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Broil 6 inches from the heat for about 5 minutes, or until the tomatoes pop and brown lightly.

2. Preheat the oven to 500°. Set a pizza stone on the bottom of the oven and heat for at least 30 minutes.

3. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out each ball of Pizza Dough to a 7-inch round. Transfer two rounds to a lightly floured pizza peel. Spoon one-sixth of the cherry tomato topping on each round. Slide the pizzas onto the heated stone and bake for about 5 minutes, or until sizzling and just set.

4. Remove from the oven and sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons of the aged Gouda and 1 tablespoon of the Parmigiano. Return the pizzas to the oven and bake for about 5 minutes longer, until the cheeses are melted and the crust is lightly browned. Drizzle with a little Basil Pesto and serve. Repeat with the remaining dough, tomato topping, cheeses and pesto.

5. Make Ahead The cherry tomato topping can be refrigerated overnight; let return to room temperature before using.

6. Pair cheesy pizzas with moderately tannic reds such as a Chianti Classico, or, if they aren't covered in tomato sauce—which tends to overwhelm white wines—a crisp white like a Verdicchio.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 8/26/16?? by cjs (Wow!! What a day for...)
It's odd, I haven't been in the lake in a while. William is doing some much needed bush hogging at the farm today, so I think a bath in the lake may be in our future!

That recipe is copied and saved! Thanks Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 8/26/16?? by Gourmet_Mom (It's odd, I haven't ...)
You're welcome
www.achefsjourney.com