Dinner Thread - 10/3 - 10/9/16
  Re: RE: Dinner Thread - 10/3 - 10/9/16 by cjs (That's funny Red, I ...)
That's a tasty sounding condiment, Jean.

I know what you mean about posting dinner when so many are dealing with the weather. Hope everyone is safe and can check in soon.

Family dinner tonight will start with antipasto, (cured olives, peppers, cheese, soppressata) followed by my mom's lasagna, Italian bread, meatballs, mixed greens salad. After dinner I put out cut fruit and some nuts and get out my little Bialetti to make espresso for Joe and me. No one else drinks it. My sister is bringing dessert to have later. Joe didn't have time to ***** me wine this time, so he is visiting a local wine shop today. Smile
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Dinner Thread - 10/3 - 10/9/16 by cjs (Well, here we go - B...)
Jean, that condiment sounds delicious!

What a fun sounding dinner party, Maryann.

I figure we will eat on the pastry and chicken salad since it will be harder to hold when the power goes out.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Good for him, Maryann!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Cheese and pine nut ravioli with "pink" sauce.
Crude, I've missed a lot of info above....

"I'm thinking about doing the black pepper fish"
Maryann, I have the recipe on the top of the 'pile'

Red, I'm trying to get a 'welcoming' thread going, because I can't find the beginning of the old one.... probably be Monday.

"  I have the same question as Trixxee regarding the size."
They were the small tails which are on sale so often. Four tails per pkg. I poached for 4 minutes, then opened up the underbelly, brushed with butter (made all the difference Wink  ) and broiled for 3-5 minutes. Then cut in medallions and added to the béchamel. (You all add a few gratings of fresh nutmeg to your béchamel, don't you? )

Daphne, your avatar is huge on my laptop. Mine was also for a while and I was able to delete it and redo and it came out the correct size....don't ask me how. Tongue

"Seared and finished with garlic butter, cabbage relish, chipotle sauce, and cheeses, topped with guajillo sauce and melted cheese."
Geez, what's not to love?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Question    Re: Dinner Thread - 10/3 - 10/9/16 by cjs (Well, here we go - B...)

Sunday Dinner - 10/9/16??

We were so full from the wonderful chicken pesto sandwiches mid-day, we hardly touched the soup I had made for later. So, we'll have the soup today.

The patties turned out so flavorful with the mayo/bacon/pesto/jalapeno spread as the glue for them. Wow.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: RE: Dinner Thread - 10/3 - 10/9/16 by cjs ([attachment=11][atta...)
I'm confused. Did you put the spread IN or ON the chicken patties? Are those homemade buns? Yum.

Ron is cooking a whole pork loin today with a recipe he saw Steve Raichlen do on TV. The pork loin is cut open and filled with a rub of brown sugar, Dijon mustard, and a sprinkling of whiskey, then rolled up and rubbed with seasoning, wrapped in bacon, and tied. It then goes on a charcoal grill with indirect heat until done. When it comes off, it is glazed with a sauce made from the mustard, brown sugar and whiskey.

I am making mushroom risotto and steamed asparagus. Also roasting a medley of baby bell peppers, zucchini, and onion. Holly is bringing some good bread and dessert, not that we need more! Joe and Rena showed up with a case of wine and a box of 8 different pastries from a bakery in Little Italy.
Maryann

Re: RE: Dinner Thread - 10/3 - 10/9/16 by Mare749 (I'm confused. Did yo...)
Did a slow cooker pot roast last night with mashed potatoes.  Did the potatoes sous vide.  They came out perfect!!  Sliced them thin with the mandolin and vacuum sealed them.  Cooked them for and hour at 190 degrees and the were great!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
Wow, what a feast!! How long is your company staying?

I used the leftover 'spread' as the 'glue''/moisture in the patty mixture. And, yes, the buns are the Rye bread machine recipe I made a couple weeks ago. I was disappointed that the bread wasn't more pumpernickel-like, but we are sure enjoying the subtle rye flavor in the buns.

Rye Bread - 1-1/2 Pound Loaf

1 cup plus 2  tablespoons water 

tablespoons light molasses 

1  tablespoon butter OR margarine 

2  tablespoons brown sugar 

1  tablespoon cocoa powder 

1  teaspoon salt 

3/4  teaspoon Spice Islands® Caraway Seed 

2-1/2  cups bread flour 

1  cup medium rye flour 

2  teaspoons Fleischmann's® Bread Machine Yeast

For all - use dough cycle.

Divide the dough in the portions you prefer.

Place on large greased baking sheet.

Let rise until double, 20-30 minutes

Lightly beat egg white and 1 T. water - brush on bread
Bake at 375°  (note: this is too high – bake at 350°)for 12 - 15 minutes (for burger or hot dog buns)

Barbara  - what potatoes did you use? Russets? Yukons? You mashed them after removing from SV? sounds interesting.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: RE: Dinner Thread - 10/3 - 10/9/16 by cjs (Wow, what a feast!! ...)
Thanks for the recipe, Jean. I'll copy your notes with it and only use this one for buns.

My company has to leave tomorrow morning. But, hopefully, we will see them in the spring if/when we go on vacation.
Maryann