Dinner Thread - 11/28/16 - 12/4/16
  Re: Dinner Thread - 11/28/16 - 12/4/16 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
Another week swooshed on by!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Oh Maryann!  William is going to LOVE your Sriacha suggestion!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Several years ago, I worked with a young lady who was from the South and she loved hot sauce. It seemed like she put it on just about anything. Once in a while, we would buy a lunch special with fried catfish, mac&cheese, and greens. I would watch her dump hot sauce on all of it. Finally, one day I tried it, just a little at a time and got hooked!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Seems like it's like vinegar - a little just pops things!! or a tad of candied jalapenos. Smile Smile Smile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Jean, I don't think I have had candied jalapenos, but I do buy hot and sweet pepper rings to put on sandwiches. Maybe the same thing?

http://bellview.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=319
Maryann

Wow - I don't know how you missed me extolling re the candied jalapenos I've been making, Maryann.............unless you were cruising the world!!! Undecided I've been doing pickled and candied both and use them (especially the candied) on everything. They have taken the place of the salt shaker, I think.

Candied Jalapeno Peppers *****

[Image: Sept%203%20Candied%20Jalapenos_zpsbyquqvdl.jpg] 
These little beauties are so addictive: sweet, spicy, and tangy. Once you start eating these, you’ll find all sorts of places to stash them—sandwiches, potato salad, grilled meat, and pasta, just to name a few.
Notes from 9/3/15 - I used 1 lb. of peppers and 1/2X the 'jelly' - I got a full pint of peppers plus 1 pint full of the jelly - wonderful

I have never been able to wait a month!!

3 lbs Firm, Fresh Jalapeno Peppers, Washed
2 cups Cider Vinegar
6 cups White Granulated Sugar
½ tsp Turmeric
½ tsp Celery Seed
3 tsp Granulated Garlic
1 tsp Ground Cayenne Pepper

1. Wearing gloves, remove the stems from all of the jalapeno peppers. The easiest way to do this is to slice a small disc off of the stem-end along with the stem. Discard the stems.

2. Slice the peppers into uniform 1/8-1/4 inch rounds. Set aside.

3. In a large pot, bring cider vinegar, white sugar, turmeric, celery seed, granulated garlic and cayenne pepper to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the pepper slices and simmer for exactly 4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the peppers, loading into clean, sterile canning jars to within 1/4 inch of the upper rim of the jar. Turn heat up under the pot with the syrup and bring to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 6 minutes.

4. Use a ladle to pour the boiling syrup into the jars over the jalapeno slices. Insert a cooking chopstick to the bottom of the jar two or three times to release any trapped pockets of air. Adjust the level of the syrup if necessary. Wipe the rims of the jars with a clean, damp paper towel and fix on new, two-piece lids to finger-tip tightness.

5. If you do not want to can these to the point of shelf stable, you can simply put the jars in your refrigerator and store them there. I prefer to keep the fridge space free so I can them. If you wish to can them, follow the instructions below.
Source: http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/09/can...boy-candy/

Author Notes
Note: If you have leftover syrup, and it is likely that you will, you may can/freeze it in half-pint or pint jars, too. It’s wonderful brushed on meat on the grill or added to potato salad or, or, or … in short, don’t toss it out!
--------
Allow to mellow for at least two weeks, but preferably a month before eating. Or don’t. I won’t tell!

---------------
Pickled Jalapenos***** best
[Image: Mar%203%20Picling%20Jalapenos_zps8fquncal.jpg] 
4 each jalapenos, thinly sliced crosswise
1/2 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
1/2 Tbs sugar
1 tsp kosher salt

1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate for several hours or up to 2 days.

2. Note: look for jalapenos with vein marks on the tips, which indicates a higher Scoville level.  Source: Plate, the spicy issue magazine May/June 2014

Both are damned addictive Smile

www.achefsjourney.com
Jean, I have seen several of your posts about this but, since I don't know the first thing about canning, I never really paid much attention. But, I love the hot and sweet peppers that I buy from Bellview, so would probably love these even more. Now that I know that I don't have to "can" them, there is a better chance that I would try this.

Thanks for your recipes! Smile
Maryann

And William wil kill me when I finally make these if he finds out how long I've been sitting on this!   LOL! Angel
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
My big old canner finally gave up the ghost a few years ago and haven't canned anything (except jam/jelly) since. But I miss making pickles......

No wonder my freezer is always so darn full!! Smile
www.achefsjourney.com