Coconut Ranger Cookies

Beth and Dave (my sister and brother-in-law) first tried this cookie on a Royal Caribbean cruise. RC willingly shares their recipe, but it calls for praline paste which is expensive and hard to find. So, they found another recipe that was similar and called for toffee bits, which are commonly found in the baking aisles with chocolate chips. There are other variations calling for different types of cereal, baking chips and nuts. These are so addictive. Crispy on the outside, yet chewy in the middle. Really the perfect cookie.

Coconut Ranger Cookies

½ cup butter, room temp.
1 cup Heath toffee bits
½ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
2 cup each all purpose-flour
¾ tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
¼ cup finely chopped almonds
2 T. cream of coconut (Coco Lopez or Goya)
2¼ cups sweetened, shredded, flaked coconut

1. Beat together butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg and egg yolk, and vanilla.

2. Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually add into butter mixture. Add in chopped almonds, cream of coconut, toffee bits, and flaked coconut. Line baking pan with parchment. Use a medium scoop to measure out dough and roll into balls, then flatten to about ½" thick. Cover with plastic and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight. Allow 2 to 3 inches of space around each cookie because they will spread when baking.

3. Bake at 325° for 12-14 minutes, just until edges start to brown. Remove from oven and let rest on baking sheets for 10 minutes to finish baking.

Tips
Cookies may look undercooked in the center when the edges turn brown, but they will finish baking on the tray when they come out of the oven.

Author: unknown
Source: Beth and Dave
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Coconut Ranger Cookies by Mare749 (Beth and Dave (my si...)
Thanks (I think Smile ) These do sound good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I love everything in this recipe, especially the toffee bits!  But I have never been a fan of coconut.  Confused

Quick note about the toffee bits...my mother used to make the best frozen treat when the kids were little, and it is stupid easy! Spray a large Pyrex dish with cooking spray (I think? Seems right for easy removal.). Line the pan with ice cream sandwiches, cutting some to fit. Top with whipped cream, and sprinkle with toffee bits. Refreeze and serve. SOOO good! The kids LOVED it!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Oh, good Lord, Daphne - what's not to love??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I know, right?!?!  When we would serve it at summer gatherings, we wouldn't tell anyone how they were  made.  LOL!  They didn't believe something so simple could be so good!

And bonus!!!  You can have them on hand all the time!  It only takes a few minutes for them to get soft enough to serve.  Then you can stick it back in the freezer for next time!  I haven't made them in years!  I think this will be a summer indulgence this year!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
This recipe is totally different than one I came upon.  The one I found had rice krispies, oats & coconut. From the 1920's!
Yes, I noticed that also, Trixxee. Made it hard for my brother-in-law to decide which one he was going to try first. He liked the recipe that Royal Caribbean used so that is the one that he tried to duplicate. This recipe came the closest to what he fell in love with.

RC's original recipe calls for praline paste but someone discovered that the toffee bits made a good substitute.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."