pork in a crock pot???

Yes, I know that there are a lot of recipes online for such a thing, but I can't find exactly what I want so I was hoping that someone familiar with slow cookers could give me some direction.  Smile

I am having 2 other couples as dinner guests on Saturday and am planning to use a 4-pound pork loin roast (stuffed w/ spinach, dried tomatoes, and sharp provolone).  The last time I made something similar, I was at the stove for a good half hour browning the roast, then cooking, then deglazing and making a sauce.  I want to do something a little easier and am considering using my crock pot. SO here's what I am thinking of doing:

frying pancetta until crisp, removing and reserving for garnish
use the fat rendered from the pancetta, lightly sauteeing some sliced onion, adding juniper berries (I found that I love that taste with pork!), bay leaves, garlic, and red wine to make a cooking liquid
place the stuffed pork in the crock pot, pour liquid over, and cook for... maybe 6 hours on low?

I've been going through a lot of recipes online and the 6 hours sounds right, but my question is how much liquid should I add to the crockpot?  And should I mix chicken stock and red wine instead of just red wine?  Some of the "crockpot pork loin" recipes I
found online use almost no liquid, but my crockpot instructions say that it should be 1/2 to 3/4 full.  Seems like a huge difference between those two.

I would really appreciate any ideas/ thoughts/ suggestions!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: pork in a crock pot??? by foodfiend (Yes, I know that the...)
I normally use about 1 – 1 1/2 cups of liquid to a 5-7lb. roast in a slow cooker. That should give you enough jus for napping at serving time. And some juices will extrude from the pork as it cooks.

As far as the wine, I’d think about diluting it to, maybe 1/3 stock/2/3 wine to mellow out flavors.

time wise, I think I'd plan on at least 7 hours on low.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Thanks Jean!   Smile   I found your instructions on how to cut the roast to prepare it for stuffing (I love the "unrolling paper towels" mental image) that you gave me a couple of years ago.  As I remember it was a pretty cool way to do this, and easy as well!

The pork roast is in 2 pieces (each 2 pounds), and I'm trying to decide if I should use my 3-quart and "stack" the pieces, or my 6-quart and lay them end-to-end.  Any thoughts on this?  I've mostly used the slow cooker for things like pulled pork, and not very often, so I feel just a little hesitant about doing something without an actual written recipe.

Oh, I'm using your brine recipe/ instructions that you gave me along with cutting the pork for stuffing info.  You are a fountain of wisdom!   Big Grin
Vicci

my cooking adventures
Why, thank you, ma'am. I think the pork will cook more evenly placing them side by side rather than stacking.

Have fun and be sure to let us know what all you did for your dinner party!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
For future reference, Jean, would you recommend searing first?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Yes, I hate that pale look.
www.achefsjourney.com
Then I shall sear, too.  It will be earlier in the day and I'll be able to clean the stove before the guests arrive!   Blush
Vicci

my cooking adventures
Wow, this turned out way better than I had hoped (for not havig a "real" recipe to work with!).  Even though it was fall-apart tender, I was able to slice the pork nicely with an electric knife and it looked beautiful drizzled with the pan juices (I cooked them down a bit).   I made (frozen, from the Italian store in Pittsburgh when we were there in late November) butternut squash raviloi with browned butter and hazlenuts, rosemary bread, and a big salad.  A flourless chocolate rum cake with whipped cream and one of the bestalmods for dessert.  Everything worked out (excpet that I ALWAYS wish that I had an extra half hour at the end, I was rushing around lighting candles, getting the apps put together, etc.).

Jean, one couple is very "into" wine, their son is in partnership in a winery, Cormorant Bay, on Orcas Island.  They go out there every fall and help with the pressing, etc.  Their merlot/ cab blend is one of the best I have had, so if you see it around there (I don't think that they distribute very far) buy a bottle.  2013-14.  You won't be disappointed!  Smile And thanks for your help/ advice-- again!

Oh, and I have to mention this.  Steve and Cathy live in one of the most beautiful homes around here, it was a Southern Living-built home and has been written up in magazines.  They like to cook and entertain, and I was a little intimidated asking them to dinner (but they have been so generous to us for the last several months, and I wanted to).  As I was handing around the desserts, he looked up at me and smiled and said "this is a nice place, we should come here more often".  Simply stated, it was one of the best compliments I have ever received!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
Oh, Vicci!1 I can't believe how you two just fell into 'it' in your new 'digs'!! This is just wonderful! Dinner sounds just great and thanks for the wine tip - will look into right away!!
www.achefsjourney.com
Vicci, your dinner sounds lovely.  And what a great compliment!  I know you were thrilled!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.