Dinner Thread - 1/16/17 - 1/22/17
  Re: Dinner Thread - 1/16/17 - 1/22/17 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
How beautiful have our last three first ladies been?  I took some beautiful pictures from my 70 inch TV as keepsakes early this morning.

I'm not sure about dinner yet.  I have some boneless thighs to make a spicy grilled asian dish but I'm also thinking about sushi so maybe we'll go out and toast the new administration - if it's not pouring out.
Heather invited us over tonight to see their pix from Napa. So, I decided to make a sheet pan of "grandma's pizza" to take over, along with an antipasta salad. What a nice mommy, huh? Big Grin
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Cornmeal-crusted catfish and mashed sweet potatoes with chipotle and lime.  Will probably saute some yellow squash, red bell peppers, and onions to go with.  

I, on the other hand, am ignoring all media today.   Tongue
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
(Vicci - wish I could have, also....  Angel  )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Poor Jean!  A house divided can sometimes be tricky!

We are going to polish off the lasagna.  I've got to clean out the fridge before we leave tomorrow.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
I'm exhausted, but did  I have fun today - made two Jamaican dishes from my friend's rum and while we liked both, I'm really impressed with the jerked chicken one. I'm going to look for a pkg. of jerk seasoning (I'm sure I've seen in in the stores) and do the dish again because the gal I tested these for I know will not go to the trouble of making her own jerk season.

[Image: Jan%2020%20Jamaican%20Jerk%20Chicken_zpstdjnlsin.jpg]
[Image: Jan%2020%20Test%20recipe%20with%20Sarahs...gm1e4o.jpg]

These are the dishes I made and thoroughly enjoyed. Going forward, there are short cuts I may give a try to each and I may have to buy my own bottle of Saint Elizabeth Allspice Dram (Rum)in the near future.
The chicken was marinated 24 hours. The marinade strained and brought to a boil and added a cornstarch slurry for a ‘gravy’ served over rice. The Swt. potato dish was just a little too soft for me .

As I told Roy I wasn't going to keep anything, I suddenly thought of using the rice, bits of chicken, some of the sauce and the sweet potatoes for patties!!!! So, saved the whole lot and I'll play some more. Big Grin

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
One more recipe to share with  you all. Yesterday I made a new version of pickled onions to add to our burgers and I think this is the one I'll stick to. Oh, for heaven's sake, just looked at the source - Source: Karyn posted this on C@H July 12, 2015!

It's part of a recipe for Burgers with Blueberry BBQ Sauce, Goat Cheese, & Spicy Pickled Red - but I just wanted to make the onions. Love them - we can't stay out of 'em.

Burgers with Blueberry BBQ Sauce, Goat Cheese, & Spicy Pickled Red Onions  SOON

For the Pickled Onions:
1 cup cider vinegar
½ cup water
¼ cup sugar
2 Tbs kosher salt
1 tsp of black peppercorns
2 red onions, sliced thinly
1 jalapeño, sliced
-------------------
For the Blueberry BBQ Sauce:
1 Tbs oil
1 small red onion, finely diced
1 jalapeño pepper, finely diced (seeded if you don’t like things too spicy)
¼ cup ketchup
¼ cup mustard
¼ cup diced tomatoes (canned works)
¼ cup brown sugar
Splash of red wine vinegar
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
Salt and pepper
--------------------
For the Burgers:
Burger buns
1 lb lean ground beef
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
Salt and pepper
6 oz goat cheese, softened
Baby arugula

1. For the Onions: In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add the vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and peppercorns and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Arrange the onions and pepper rings in a large, heat-proof container with a tight-fitting lid and pour the pickling liquid over top. Cool, cover, and store chilled for a minimum of 4-6 hours. The longer they sit in the fridge, the better they get.

2. For the BBQ sauce: sauté the onions and peppers in the oil until soft. Add all the other ingredients and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the blueberries are very soft. Puree using a blender or food processor until completely smooth.

3. For the Burgers: Combine the beef, Worcestershire, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Mix the flavorings in without overworking the meat. Form into patties and grill or pan-griddle for 4 minutes per side. Slather the buns with the softened goat cheese, top with a burger, then the BBQ sauce, and finally the pickled onions and arugula. Serve immediately

Source
Source: Karyn posted this on C@H July 12, 2015 - http://yestoyolks.com/2013/11/04/burgers...ed-onions/

Now, I have to make the entire recipe Smile

Whew - I'm done for the day. time for a glass(es) of wine.
[Image: wine_zpszzpind2b.jpg]
www.achefsjourney.com
Saturday's Dinner - 1/21/17??

What's on the menu for everyone today?? 

I'm going to try making patties out of leftovers from yesterday and we also have Butternut soup I haven't frozen yet...so, just a mish-mash of what's in the fridge. 

By the way - Today is National Cheese Day!! Youwza (as Lorraine would say) Heart Heart Big Grin
www.achefsjourney.com
I'm going to be gone all day. Meeting my sister-in-law downtown for lunch then an afternoon performance of "Into the Woods". Will come back later so I can take my time reading your posts, Jean. Sounds like a fun cooking day!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
It sure was, Maryann - but exhausting!! Smile

Sounds like a fun day for you and your s-I-l.
www.achefsjourney.com