DINNER THREAD, 4/17/17 - 4/23/17
  Re: DINNER THREAD, 4/17/17 - 4/23/17 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
Sounds yummy!

Well we wound up doing something else for dinner last night so the chicken pomodoro is tonight.  

Right now I'm eating a low carb/low fat snack - ricotta cheese mixed with about 1/8 tsp of sugar and a couple of drops of lemon extract.  Almond and vanilla extracts are good too.
OMG! Like minds and all that! I just bought some ricotta the other day because it was lower in carbs than cottage cheese. Great idea to use flavorings.

So, tonight will be the real test for the cabbage rolls. BTW, I saw another recipe for low carb cabbage rolls that also used cauliflower rice, but only a cup or so, and they added 1/4 cup of uncooked oatmeal.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I love cauliflower rice. Tried a chicken-and-rice casserole with cauliflower rice, instead of regular rice and not only was it delicious, but also my mom didn't even know it wasn't regular rice until I told her. Very versatile.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Ha MA!

I like cauliflower rice as well (and I love raw cauliflower dipped in a little blue cheese dressing - very little).  I have the rice on my menu next week to go with the good old mushroom soup/onion soup mix chuck roast.  Almost was going to make it tomorrow but the weather is going to be in 90's the next 3 days and think a somewhat cooler day next week would be better.
The closest I've come to what you all are talking about (except for 'mashing' it) is grating it for the pizza recipe. Is this what you do for the 'rice' and how do you cook it? or do you??

Maryann, did you already tell me how to do this and I've forgotten????????????? Tongue other than how it is used in the cabbage rolls. I guess what I'm asking is, it does need to be cooked a little?? Or, like the salad I made, it doesn't?? Who's on 2nd? Smile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I've only had it a couple of times Jean, and I get the "rice" frozen from Trader Joe's.  So far I have sauteed it in a little EVOO with S&P and then have served it with some type of sauce or gravy.  It's a little bland just "one the side".
Jean, I was also curious how the cauliflower was processed for these dishes.

I got a ridiculous urge for a backed potato, so steak from the freezer made sense.  I figure I can skip a green since I had a big Shrimp Caesar Wrap today for lunch.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
We both like cauliflower and can usually find nice big heads of it relatively cheap, so that's what I buy. Usually, I take it home, cut it into florets, rinse a couple times with water, then let it dry a bit in the colander. After a while, I dump it out on paper towels to finish drying. Then, it goes into a ziploc bag to refrigerate. We like it raw with vegetable dip and we also like it roasted in the oven with olive oil.

For the cauliflower rice, I put 2 cups of florets into the food processor and just pulse it until it looks like rice. I did not cook it for the cabbage rolls. I think for the cauliflower crusted pizza, it does go into the microwave for a bit, but I would have to check because I haven't done one for a while.

If you want to use the "rice" as a side dish, you can just saute it in a pan with some butter and seasonings. You can also add some diced veggies for color or make a fried rice dish with it.

Labs, do you happen to have your chicken and rice casserole recipe handy? That sounds delicious.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Not a fully formal recipe, Maryann, but HERE is where I originally posted what I did. That should be enough to get you started.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Thanks, ya'all Smile Some good ideas, plus from the previous thread with Labs and Daphne's ideas.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com