DINNER THREAD, 4/17/17 - 4/23/17
  Re: DINNER THREAD, 4/17/17 - 4/23/17 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
Sounds like a great day, Daphne. I'm glad that you are going to attend the pig roast next weekend. It's great way to get acquainted with your neighbors at the park so you feel like you live in a friendly little neighborhood.

Good for William for taking a day off. I'm sure he needed it, too.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Daphne, I have a small induction burner I used for catering/buffets while I was working which I ended up taking with us in the trailer and loved having it with us. You'll get lots of use out of it.  Sounds like things are all in place and you can start enjoying yourselves now!!

Love pig roasts - miss the ones we used to do. Do your friends bury theirs or spit-roast?

This is the last one we did a couple years ago to show Grandson how to carry on tradition - soooooo good!!! Big Grin

[Image: Grilling%20Pig%20Sept%2015%202012_zpsfl11amrx.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Sunday Dinner, 4/23/17??

What's for dinner today??

Easy one here - have lots of potato salad left (how the heck do you make potato salad for 2?????) and a couple pieces of chicken. I'd sure like watermelon to go with....I'm sure Roy Richard will be going out somewhere. Smile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
No idea just yet. We're going out this afternoon to enjoy the weather.  Might have a few l/o stuffed cabbages when we get back.

Funny how it's hard to make any kind of salad small.  What starts out as 2 servings always seems to double by the time I'm done.

Whenever we have had baked potatoes for dinner, we always bake one or two more because Ron likes to slice and fry them for breakfast on the weekends. On occasion, I have used one or two to make potato salad and just "eyeball" the ingredients until it looks right.

We have a Coleman 2 burner propane stove that still works after all these years. That is what we used outside our trailer instead of cooking inside. Ron made a lot of bacon, eggs, and pancakes on it. We always used it to boil water, too. Ron had a hose to hook that ran to one of the big propane tanks so that we didn't have to buy those little bottles.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Jean, I'll check out induction burners.

Based on reviews of various ones on Amazon, Coleman is a lesser option....probably because of the premise, they don't make them like they used to...

This is the current front runner.  They make a single burner for $69.99, but the more I think about it...$33 more for two burners makes sense.

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Explore...Z9AE5FEQTC

Not sure about dinner.  It's going to be messy and rainy for the next two days, so I may make a pot roast or something.  Although, the Japanese Fried Pork or Chicken Trixxee mentioned the other day has been taunting me.

Jean, Earl has a big gas pig cooker that are popular down here. It's a smaller version of the one my daddy used to use. I'll take pictures. But they are doing whole hog. Most people now don't leave the head on, and many more do Boston Butts these days. I think I may make up a batch of my daddy's special sauce to add to the sauce options on the table. Although, I don't want to step on Earl's toes. We'll see.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
We ARE having pot roast!  With a mushroom/onion gravy (also will add fresh mushrooms to the canned soup) and cauliflower rice.  I think Tony is making himself so mashed potatoes.  I need to get back on track so I'll skip them.
" Most people now don't leave the head on," - which is a shame. No pig jowls.... Wink
www.achefsjourney.com
When we cooked a pig for family, we would use the brick pig cooker I think I've posted on here before and did a whole hog over wood and charcoal.  But when my daddy was catering large events, he used Boston Butt, unless the whole hog was specifically requested. More cost effective.

Trixxee, we agreed end on pot roast also.  It's laundry day, so I decided something I could set and forget would be easier.  I haven't decided if I'll use the IP or not.  It is so damp and chilly, I will probably do it in the oven.  I'll be able to put it on as soon as I get home and let it cook away for three hours while I read or take a nap.
Daphne
I've had my crock pot going since 9:30am.  Smells good already!

Jean - a while back you asked me what Michael and the kids thought about The Glass Castle.  Today he has to type a rough draft essay on "to what extent are Rose Mary and Rex Walls unfit parents?  Would Jeannette and her siblings have been better off living in foster care?

Well, there certainly aren't any shortage of examples on why they were unfit!  Not in the mood to tackle this with him today.  Blah.
Mine's in the Dutch Oven at 325 now.  We have recently fallen in love with Baby Bella mushrooms, so those will go in with the two red potatoes cut into wedges in the last stage of cooking.  I'm cooking green peas to go with.

While I haven't read the book, those topics are really heavy.  I don't blame you for putting that one off.  WOW!  Trixxe, you may appreciate this example.  Our next door neighbor baby sat regularly  for us when the kids were young.  She was really smart, and I enjoyed many intellectual conversations with her on literature.  When she was a senior, I was surprised she was reading Matilda, a book I know she studied it in Fifth grade, since most of us taught it.  Then she explained that it was a short tem study taken from a more mature perspective...one similar to Michaels assignment.  I was impressed with the creativity of the assignment, and she was impressed to be considered mature enough to address such a deep topic.
Daphne