DINNER THREAD, 4/17/17 - 4/23/17
  Re: DINNER THREAD, 4/17/17 - 4/23/17 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
I guess my response is in LaLa land. I'll anxious to hear Michael's take on the book. I'm still plugging away on it, but it's a hard one to read.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I'm about half way through listening to the CD's and am enjoying listening to it when I am doing something around the house or working in the kitchen. Also anxious to hear what the students have to say.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Nice story Daphne!

Well, we analyzed a lot of things and came to the conclusion that considering the setting of the story, the 4 children would probably have all been split up because times were lean for everyone in coal country, WV  (though not as lean as for those parents because of their own decisions) and perhaps in the end it was better off they all stayed together or each one would have gone in different directions.  The children leaned on each other for support and to survive and while the parents were VERY self centered and expected their children to be self-reliant at ridiculous ages, who knows if the next family would have been much better.  At least they WERE a family and some of the close relationships continued into adulthood.

Anyway, the parents were full of faults, left and right.  Had to use two examples and we went with the initial disaster of Jeannette cooking herself hotdogs for breakfast with mom the artist in the other room paying no attention and with when dad the drunk was driving erratically and Jeannette flew out of the car in the middle of the desert and it took a while for them to come back for her - to even notice she was gone.
Very well stated, Trixxee. That really does sum it up! Thanks for sharing. I think it's an interesting and thought provoking book.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Having not read the book, I shouldn't even comment.  BUT coming from a real life experience with foster children, I thought I'd add my two cents.  Even in my final years of teaching, I was shocked at the number of people who fostered children for the money!  Mind you, there were many times the foster parents got the raw end of the deal with a damaged child that should have been treated before going into the system.  Two examples that stand out is the foster parent waking up with an 11 year old standing over them with a butcher knife, and the numerous kids that stole valuables or money to buy anything from friendships, to cigarettes, to drugs.

This doesn't mean there were not success stories.  It was just hard to see the system fail the children too often.  The hardest part was seeing children in a horrible living condition and feeling they desperately needed to be removed from the home.  And the system would move slowly to give the parent(s) to get their act together.  We are talking a year or more!  But the other side of the coin was knowing they could be removed from a bad situation and be put in a worse environment!

That is just one example of the baggage teachers take home every day and rips their heart out.  It makes them feel so helpless.  Probably one of the biggest reasons I'm glad to be out of the system.

I'll now step off my soap box.  Sorry!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Overall, so heartbreaking on so many levels. Good insights from Michael. In my little cocoon of a world, I've not been a part of, or witness to, 'the system' on either side.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com