DINNER THREAD, 4/24/17 - 4/30/17
  Re: DINNER THREAD, 4/24/17 - 4/30/17 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
The soup I mentioned yesterday.  Smile
Thanks for the mention of corn - we are having southwestern spiced rib eyes tomorrow and I was trying to think of something to go with it.
Can't wait to hear about the soup! I found a recipe for low carb clam chowder that calls for diced turnips instead of potatoes. Might try that one day, too.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Your 'careful' eating ideas are sure sounding tasty, you two!!! Smile

Well, I was in and out so fast, came home to make the sauce for the pizza. I have never tasted a sauce such as this before - for a pizza. It's a Puttanesca sauce from deliaonline. Tasting it as it cooks - oh my!! Smile

oh, and Maryann, you'll be happy to hear I'm using my IP as we speak - on a chuck roast. I've done this one before about 2-3 months ago, so I know I'm o.k. with it..... (cluck, cluck, cluck Smile )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Today's lunch is a fairly new dish for me.  I've had it once before and have been craving it lately.  William wouldn't share it with me, but I ordered it anyway.  As you may can tell, it's a lot of food. LOL!  It's called Bird's Nest Chow Mien.  The dried noodles are placed on the dish and the hot chow mien is spooned in the middle making the exposed dry noodles around it look like a nest.  As you eat and stir it around, the "nest" softens in the hot sauce.  It has shrimp and chicken along with your usual chow mien veggies.  It looks cool and tastes delicious!  I could drink the sauce!

[Image: IMG_0746.jpg]

Since I had this and William had a salad with chicken, dinner will be difficult to choose.  But I need to hurry up and decide!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Looks so good, Daphne!

a Review of our pizza -  Puttanesca Pizza - For those of us who love Puttanesca Pasta, as we do, will probably love this version of deliaonline.com version using the sauce as a pizza base. Garlic, chili, basil, tomatoes, anchovies, Kalamatas, capers, freshly ground pepper – all the things which make Puttanesca what it is!!! I topped the pizza with Mozz, Swiss and Parm cheeses and threw on a few grape tomatoes for color.

The sauce
[Image: Apr%2025%20Puttanesca%20pizza%20sauce_zpsedrno26j.jpg]
the pizza
[Image: Apr%2025%20Puttanesca%20pizza_zpsu5hihzyl.jpg]

I have to say tho, the tomatoes I used were from last summer cherry tomatoes that I roasted and froze, so they did add more flavor.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Beautiful pizza, Jean!

When William got back from the field around 5, I asked him to help me figure out a survey he shot in last week that I couldn't figure out.  By the time he explained how I could fill in the holes, it was almost 7.  He pointed out it was Wine and Wing Night, so we went for it, starting with Calimari with a Sweet Asian Chili Sauce.  I need to have salads tomorrow!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
I need a Calamari fix.............. Smile Thanks Daphne - the flavors in the pizza were just outstanding.
www.achefsjourney.com
Wednesday's Dinner, 4/26/17??

What's for dinner??

Picking up that Asian food Monday really threw a monkey wrench into my meal planning this week.  Dodgy Had the whole week planned out. I IP'd (successfully Smile  ) a chuck roast yesterday, so may do something with it today.

The Puttanesca sauce for the pizza yesterday was enough for a much larger pizza than I make for us, so I have about half of it left............... Smile Smile Smile Smile I'm ready to repeat the darn thing tomorrow!  
www.achefsjourney.com
Your pizza looks delicious, Jean! Sounds great! I could try doing that on a cauliflower crust.

We have a gorgeous day here, so grilling for sure. I have a whole chicken, so either beer can or spatchcock. Stir-fried snow peas with garlic and soy sauce for a side. Will probably roast a potato for Ron.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I'd say the cauliflower bacon cheese soup was a hit.  Sure did wake up hungry this morning though.  Wink
http://iowagirleats.com/2012/09/25/bacon...tato-soup/

Tonight it's grilled rib eyes with a southwestern rub and corn on the cob.  I think I'll make a cilantro butter for the corn.

Pizza looks heavenly.