oven fried chicken
  Re: (...)
Hi everyone. Happy mother's day. I have a favor from you long time subscribers or those of you who have ordered the bound magazines. When I received the comprehensive index, I discovered that there is a recipe for oven fried chicken in issue 37:16, 20. I have been looking for the perfect oven fried recipe. Maybe this is it! I would really appredciate it of one of you could post it. This would be my Mother's Day present. Thanks in advance. coco
  Re: oven fried chicken by coco hernandez (Hi everyone. Happy ...)

Coco, if someone doesn't come up with the recipe you're looking for, here's one that is awfully good. It's even wonderful on catfish fillets!!!

OVEN-FRIED CHICKEN

a Chef's Journey

chicken pieces
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese -- grated
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Dash pepper
1 egg -- slightly beaten
2 T. milk

Rinse chicken; pat dry.
In a plastic bag combine all but egg & milk.
combine the egg & milk in a shallow dish.
Dip chicken in egg mix.; place chicken 2-3 pcs. at a time in plastic bag.
Shake to coat.

Place chicken, skin side up in an oven proof pan .
Bake 375 for 35 to 45 min. or until the white meat reaches 160 F. and dark meat reaches 170 F.

Chicken can be eaten hot or cold - either way, it's delicious!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: oven fried chicken by cjs ([br]Coco, if someone...)
Thank you Jean, 'preciate that.
  Re: Re: oven fried chicken by cjs ([br]Coco, if someone...)
Thanks, cjs. That recipe does sound very good. I have copied it to my files. I am afraid that no one has to CAH recipe. It is on my to try list. Thanks again. coco
  Re: Re: oven fried chicken by coco hernandez (Thanks, cjs. That r...)
I'll post the CAH recipe...I've been meaning to, just haven't gotten to it yet...sorry!
Tammy
  Re: Re: oven fried chicken by TwilightKitten (I'll post the CAH re...)
Oven-Fried Chicken

FOR THE BRINE---
DISSOLVE:
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 cups hot water
ADD:
4 cups ice cubes
PREPARE:
8-10 chicken pieces (thighs, legs, and breasts), skin removed, pierced
COMBINE:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2-3 Tbs black pepper
1 Tbs kosher salt
1 Tbs paprika
BEAT:
2 egg whites
ADD:
1 cup buttermilk
HEAT:
3 Tbs vegetable oil

1 Dissolve salt and sugar for brine in hot water in a large container.
2 Add ice and stir to cool mixture.
3 Prepare chicken pieces by removing the skin and piercing the meat with a knife. Add to brine and refrigerate for 1½-2 hours. Preheat oven to 450°. Coat a 4-quart Pyrex baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
4 Combine flour, pepper, salt, and paprika in a large, heavy bag. Remove chicken pieces from the brine and lightly pat dry. Place a few pieces into the bag of seasoned flour and toss to coat. Shake off excess flour and place on a rack. Let sit 10 minutes.
5 Beat egg whites to soft peaks.
6 Add buttermilk and stir gently. Dip floured chicken pieces into the egg white-buttermilk mixture. Put the dipped pieces back into the seasoned flour bag. Shake gently and transfer to the rack. Repeat with remaining chicken.
7 Heat oil in the prepared Pyrex dish by placing it in the oven for 5 minutes.
8 Set the prepared chicken pieces, meaty-side down, into the hot Pyrex dish; roast for 30 minutes. Remove dish from the oven and carefully turn pieces over. Return to the oven and roast 20 minutes more. Remove chicken from the oven and let rest 15 minutes before serving.

Yield: Makes 8-10 pieces

Recipe Source
Source: Cuisine at Home Issue 37
Tammy
  Re: Re: oven fried chicken by coco hernandez (Thanks, cjs. That r...)
If I may make one suggestion - I love brining so do it all the time. We used to make our brine starting with hot water, but have found in the name of saving time, it really is not necessary. My brine is very similar to [Email]c@h[/Email], except I use 1/2 brown and 1/2 granulated sugars.

to each qt. of cold water - add 1/4 cup Kosher salt, 2 T. each br.sugar and granulated sugar. Use a large whisk and whisk for a couple of minutes. All will have dissolved by then and you can add the chicken/pork/whatever pieces and continue. I usuall brine chicken pieces at least 4 hours.

Just saves a little time and a few steps.

P.S. oooooops, just saw this -
"Remove chicken pieces from the brine and lightly pat dry. "

Always, remove from brine and rinse thoroughly, then pat dry.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: oven fried chicken by cjs (If I may make one ...)
"P.S. oooooops, just saw this" Besides telling me how to brine Jean, weren't you one of the ones that impressed on me to ALWAYS read the whole recipe before you begin? I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have y'all to pick on
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: oven fried chicken by bjcotton ("P.S. oooooops, just...)
Sweetie, that was an oops from just reading the c@h's recipe - not mine!! (go find your room)
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: oven fried chicken by cjs (Sweetie, that was an...)
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy