Has anyone made the Crab Rangoon with Pineapple
  Re: (...)
Chile dipping sauce from issue #51? I'm thinking about making these for my sister's baby shower this coming weekend. Any tips or hints? I need one more hot appetizer type of thing too. If you have ideas I would gladly take them. If at all possible, I'd like something that I could prep ahead of time. This coming weekend is going to be nuts! We're having my daughter's 4th birthday party on Sat., baby shower Sunday (for 2 of my sisters! One is having twin girls the other a boy.) and then loading up the car and driving to Vermont for the 4th!
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
  Re: Has anyone made the Crab Rangoon with Pineapple by mlucas1 (Chile dipping sauce ...)
I haven't made the Crab Rangoon yet, but I do have a recipe for Mushroom Croustades that my people love. You can make the filling and the bread cups the day before...actually I think you can make the bread cups earlier and freeze them, but I've never done it. I have posted it before, but I can do it again, if you're interested.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Has anyone made the Crab Rangoon with Pineapple by TwilightKitten (I haven't made the C...)
The mushroom croustades sound wonderful! I would love to have the recipe. Thanks so much!
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
  Re: Re: Has anyone made the Crab Rangoon with Pineapple by mlucas1 (The mushroom crousta...)
Here it is...enjoy!

Mushroom Croustades
Prep Time: 40 min.
Source: Better Homes and Gardens

File Under:
Printed from BHG.com

Ingredients

24 slices firm-textured white bread
3 tablespoons chopped shallots or onion
1/4 cup margarine or butter
3 cups finely chopped fresh mushrooms
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Dash ground black pepper
Dairy sour cream (optional)
Snipped fresh chives (optional)

Directions:

1. Lightly grease twenty-four 2-1/2-inch muffin cups. Cut a 2-1/2-inch round from each slice of bread.* Carefully press each bread round into one of the prepared muffin cups to form a shell. Bake in a 400 degree F oven about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
2. Meanwhile, for filling, in a medium saucepan cook shallots or onion in hot margarine or butter for 4 minutes. Stir in mushrooms; cook, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in flour. Add whipping cream all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more; remove from heat. Stir in the 2 tablespoons chives, the parsley, lemon juice, salt, ground red pepper, cheese, and black pepper.
3. Remove bread shells from muffin cups. Place bread shells in a shallow baking pan. Spoon filling into shells. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 15 minutes. If desired, top with sour cream and additional chives.
Makes 24 appetizers.
*Note: You can use the bread scraps to make soft bread crumbs for casserole toppings or meat stuffings.
To Make Ahead: Prepare the baked bread shells as directed. Place in a freezer container or bag and freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw bread shells. Fill and bake as directed.

Nutritional facts per serving

calories: 93 , total fat: 6g , saturated fat: 3g , cholesterol: 14mg , sodium: 126mg , carbohydrate: 8g , fiber: 0g , protein: 2g , vitamin A: 8% , vitamin C: 1% , calcium: 2% , iron: 4%

Tammy’s notes: I use 4 8-oz packages mushrooms for 2 batches. I always have to double the recipe or there's fighting.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Has anyone made the Crab Rangoon with Pineapple by TwilightKitten (Here it is...enjoy! ...)
I love bread cases. The most accommodating container on the face of the earth. My fav. at the moment, is smoked schnapper, broken small in a light flavourful white sauce with a few peas. Thickish, but still a bit oozy. Made as given above. Or curried egg is pretty good. Mashed, covered with a tomato slice and cheese of choice. Again, as above. Or anything else you fancy. It really is endless. Truly, endless. People do dumb thing like eat the piped rich parsnip because it looks so nice, and discover they like them after all. hahahahahah
  Re: Re: Has anyone made the Crab Rangoon with Pineapple by TwilightKitten (Here it is...enjoy! ...)
Now, don't those sound good - duly copied Tammy!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com