URGENT - NEED NY CHEESECAKE RECIPE FROM ISSUE 9
  Re: (...)
I misplaced Issue 9 and I desperately need the recipe for the NY Cheesecake. I need it by Friday.

Can anyone send it to me? Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!
  Re: URGENT - NEED NY CHEESECAKE RECIPE FROM ISSUE 9 by BARACALADERA (I misplaced Issue 9 ...)
This must be it - Welcome to the c@h forums!!

New York Cheesecake
Makes: One 8" Cake Total Time: 3 - 3 1/4 Hours

Combine; Reserve 2 T:
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped toasted pecans

Add; Press into Bottom of Pan:
1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
3 T. sugar

Cream Together:
7 pkgs. (8 oz. each) Philadelphia® cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 T. vanilla

Add One at a Time:
4 eggs

Blend in:
1/2 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 350°. Toast pecans on baking sheet for 15 min., or until golden. Cool. Reduce oven temperature to 300°.

Combine cracker crumbs and pecans in food processor until fine. Set aside 2 T.

Add butter and sugar to processor. Pulse to blend. Spray sides and bottom of cake pan with Pam®. Trace and cut out round of parchment to fit pan. Line bottom with parchment circle. Spray parchment and sides again. Make sure the pan is greased well so the cake doesn’t stick to the sides and crack during baking. Sprinkle reserved 2 T. crumbs around sides of pan. Tilt and tap pan to distribute crumbs evenly. It’ll be a light dusting of crumbs. With rubber spatula, press remaining crumb-butter mixture onto bottom of pan. Begin heating water for water bath.

Cream together cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth.

Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl frequently during mixing so that no lumps remain.

Blend in sour cream. Mix just to blend. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl frequently during mixing to remove lumps.

Bake at 300° for 2–2 1/4 hrs. or until top is golden and cake is set around edges. It’ll be jiggly in the center but will cook while it cools. Remove cake from roaster and set on cooling rack. Run knife around sides to loosen. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate overnight. To unmold, run knife around sides again. Place inverted plate on cake and flip. Rap plate on counter and lift pan, shaking gently to release. Remove parchment from crust. Place serving plate on crust and invert again. Carefully remove top plate.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: URGENT - NEED NY CHEESECAKE RECIPE FROM ISSUE 9 by cjs (This must be it - We...)
Thanks for posting the recipe. I'm a new CAH subscriber, so I didn't have it.
You have to know what the rules are before you can successfully break them.
  Re: Re: URGENT - NEED NY CHEESECAKE RECIPE FROM ISSUE 9 by Suzie_Homemaker (Thanks for posting t...)
Suzie---I will post my recipe as soon as I have more than two minutes to post---I have been inundated with work crews at our home and only have a few minutes to see what's happening with my friends here on the forum. Please be patient--it's worth waiting for!!! SOON--I promise!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: URGENT - NEED NY CHEESECAKE RECIPE FROM ISSUE 9 by Roxanne 21 (Suzie---I will post ...)
Thanks.
You have to know what the rules are before you can successfully break them.
  Re: Re: URGENT - NEED NY CHEESECAKE RECIPE FROM ISSUE 9 by cjs (This must be it - We...)
THANK YOU SO MUCH! What a relief!!!!!!

Thanks again.
  Re: Re: URGENT - NEED NY CHEESECAKE RECIPE FROM ISSUE 9 by BARACALADERA (THANK YOU SO MUCH! ...)
You're certainly welcome!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: URGENT - NEED NY CHEESECAKE RECIPE FROM ISSUE 9 by Suzie_Homemaker (Thanks. [img]/ubbthr...)
This is the best cheesecake recipe I have ever had---and made!!! The recipe originated from a neighbor in Agawam, Massachusetts who was the head chef at UMass/Amherst. Don't know where he got it but it's a winner!!

CHEESECAKE

Crust:

1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1/2 cup butter
1 slightly beaten egg yolk
1/4 tsp vanilla

Filling:
5 8 oz pkgs cream cheese
3/4 tsp grated lemon peel
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 TBS flour
1/4 tsp salt
4 large eggs
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup whipping cream

To make the crust
Combine flour, sugar and lemon peel
Cut in butter until crumbly
Add slightly beaten egg yolk and vanilla----mix well

Pat 1/3 of the dough on the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan (sides removed)

Bake at 400 degrees for 7 minutes (Just beginning to turn golden---watch carefully cuz it will burn VERY quickly if left too long) cool until you are able to handle the bottom of the pan to attach to the sides--butter sides of pan prior to attaching (it's easier).

In a large bowl beat cream cheese until creamy then add the lemon peel and vanilla

Combine 1 3/4 cups sugar with flour and salt

Gradually blend into cheese mixture

Add eggs and yolks one at a time beating after each addition just to blend

Gently stir in whipping cream

Turn into crust lined pan

Bake at 450 degrees for 12 minutes
Reduce heat to 300 degrees. Bake until a knife inserted off center is clean----about 60 minutes.

Cool for two hours then chill as you desire---IMHO room temp cheesecake is the best!!

NOW----let's see if you are reading this entire post because I have my own changes made over the years.

I make the full recipe for the crust but only half of the filling recipe---or you could make two cheesecakes because there is an enormous amount of filling with the final result. I also beat the filling until it is very, very light---especially after the eggs go in. I also increase the vanilla a bit because this calls for it---(or I do, should I say!!!)

Bake in the center of the oven---wait til you smell this if you decide to make---to die for!!!!

Please feel free to ask any questions--this is kind of choppy---I have extremely meager notes that I work from. One of my first baking successes---hope you enjoy!!
  Re: Re: URGENT - NEED NY CHEESECAKE RECIPE FROM ISSUE 9 by Roxanne 21 (This is the best che...)
Roxanne - sounds delicious and is duly copied. One question tho, did you happen to hear from your chef friend the reason for taking the sides of the springform off to make the crust???? I've never heard of this before.

Two new cheesecakes in one week...we're in trouble now!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: URGENT - NEED NY CHEESECAKE RECIPE FROM ISSUE 9 by cjs (Roxanne - sounds del...)
I knew I didn't make that clear!!

The bottom of the pan has a very thin layer of crust baked without the sides. Once the bottom is baked---(it will stay soggy (not crispy) if baked with the filling placed on it) then the sides are put on to incorporate and bake the sides. It is just a simpler way of handling the dough mixture in order that the textures of each layer are correct. I suppose you could make the bottom with the sides on--just never tried. It would be more difficult to monitor the progress of the bottom crust---having to remove the pan from the oven each time you want to check it for doneness. Then again--I have an eye-level oven that I use for my baking (double oven set-up)--would be okay with a lower level, I guess.

Is that what you were asking?? I was a REAL beginner in those days--didn't know what to ask for questions. Which reminds me---I did ask "where do you buy lemon peel?"
Doesn't that tell ya everything about my capabilities then---almost as bad as "where is the kitchen?"