Here is the recipe I was talking about.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Red Beet Cake

Recipe By :Maida Heatter
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Cakes-Pies-Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup pureed cooked beets ( 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups)
1 3/4 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Fluffy Chocolate Icing

Adjust a rack to the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 350°F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 13 x 9 x 2-inch cake pan. Dust the bottom of the pan well with fine, dry bread crumbs. Set aside.

Prepare the beets and set them aside.

Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt, and set aside.

Place the chocolate in the top of a small double boiler over warm water on moderate heat, cover the pot with a folded paper towel (to absorb steam) and then with the pot cover, and let stand until almost melted. Then uncover and stir until completely melted. Remove the top of the double boiler and set aside to cool slightly.

In the large bowl of an electric mixer beat the eggs just to mix. Then beat in the sugar, oil, vanilla, melted chocolate (which may still be warm), the beets, and the sifted dry ingredients, beating only until incorporated after each addition.

Turn into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and bake for 35 minutes, until the top springs back when pressed gently with a fingertip, a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, and the cake just begins to come away from the sides of the pan.

Either let the cake cool completely in the pan (if you are going to ice it in the pan--see Notes) or let it cool for 20 minutes, then cover with a large oblong board or tray, hold the board or tray and the pan firmly together, and turn them both over. Remove the pan and let the cake cool.

Source:
"Maida Heatter's Cakes"
Yield:
"12 portions"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This chocolate cake made with beets is a county fair prizewinner from Twin Falls, Idaho. Fairs have been showcases of Americana and a part of our heritage since the early 1800s.

This is made with beets, but if you do not tell, no one will ever suspect. It is a coal-black cake--moist, tender, delicious--somewhat like a wonderful devil's food cake. The chocolate icing is a thick, fluffy mixture the color of coffee with cream; it stays soft and fluffy and does not form a crust. See Recipe for Fluffy Chocolate Icing.

You can use fresh beets, either boiled or baked to order, or leftovers, or canned beets. They should be well drained and then processed in a food processor fitted with the metal chopping blade until they look like baby food (turn the processor on/off a few times and scrape down the sides of the bowl once or twice--do not overprocess), or they can be sliced and mashed with a fork on a large plate and then worked through a food mill. A 1-pound can of cooked beets, when drained and pureed, will measure about 1 1/4 cups.

There are many times when it is more practical to bake a cake in a square or oblong pan and ice it right in the pan, especially if you are taking it somewhere. This cake can be left in the pan, iced in the pan, and served directly from the pan.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Fluffy Chocolate Icing

Recipe By :Maida Heatter
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Frosting-Glazes-Coulis

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
6 ounces unsalted butter, 1 1/2 sticks
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
1/4 cup sifted all purpose flour
1 cup milk

Place the chocolate in the top of a small double boiler over warm water on moderate heat. Cover the pot with a folded paper towel (to absorb steam) and with the pot cover. Let stand for a few minutes until the chocolate is partly melted, then uncover and stir until completely melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.

Place the butter in the small bowl of an electric mixer and beat until soft. Add the sugar and beat at high speed for about 5 minutes. Beat in the vanilla and the salt.

Meanwhile, in a small, heavy saucepan, beat the flour and about 1/4 cup of the milk with a small wire whisk until smooth. Gradually beat in the remaining milk. Place over moderate heat and stir constantly with a rubber spatula until the mixture comes to a low boil. Reduce the heat a bit and let simmer, still stirring and scraping th bottom and sides of the pan, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, place the bottom of the saucepan briefly in a bowl of ice and water, and continue to stir gently and scrape the pan until the mixture cools. (Do not stop the gentle stirring or the mixture might form lumps; if so, beat it briskly with a small wire whisk.)

Add the melted chocolate to the sugar-and-butter mixture, beat a bit to incorporate, and then gradually add the thickened milk mixture, beating only as necessary to incorporate.

Pour the icing over the cake and spread it smoothly over the top (do not cover the sides) and either leave it smooth or, with the back of a teaspoon, form swirls and peaks.

Refrigerate the cake either just long enough for the icing to set, or longer. It may be served cold or at room temperature (however, if it is practical to serve it cold, do.)

Source:
"Maida Heatter's Cakes"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Red Beet Cake by bjcotton (Here is the recipe I...)
If this is anything similar to that lemon/pepper cake---watch out!!!! Now to find beets to puree---this sounds great, Billy. Thanks for the recipe!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Red Beet Cake by bjcotton (Here is the recipe I...)
Thank you, Billy! Have you made it? If so, what kind of beets do you use for it...canned or fresh?
Tammy
  Re: Re: Red Beet Cake by TwilightKitten (Thank you, Billy! [i...)
The fresh are just now coming into the markets, so I used canned.

Billy
  Re: Re: Red Beet Cake by bjcotton (The fresh are just n...)
Billy, I didn't realize the Lemon-Pepper cake was a recipe from Maida Heatter! ('Course I have an advancing case of CRS, so... ) I love her recipes.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Red Beet Cake by cjs (Billy, I didn't real...)
I do too Jean. I have two of her cookbooks, Maida Heatter's Cakes, and Maida Heatter's Book of Great Desserts. Love those books.

Right now, I'm knee deep in The Italian Cooking Encyclopedia, which was previously published as two volumes, The Italian Ingredients Cookbook and The Ultimate Italian Cookbook. I bought it intending to give it to Lorraine [we all know how much she loves Italian food], but she suggested that I go through it first...now she's just out of luck I'm keeping it. See what happens when you do that Lorraine?

Billy