Flour strike!!!
  Re: (...)
Would you believe??? The workers at the local flour factory have gone on strike---want 15% wage increase but the bosses will only negotiate 6%!!! SOOOOO--no flour for the bakeries---SOOOOO NO FRESH hamburger rolls (the most favorite bread roll for my tomato and/or cucumber sandwiches on a BUSY day!!! SOOOO--

I made these wonderful hamburger buns today---so quick and easy. Started at 9:00 a.m. and was ready for lunch at 12:30--completely!! "smile:

Recipe:

Moomie's Famous Beautiful Burger/Sandwich Buns

1 cup water
2 T butter or margarine
1 egg
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 t. salt
1 T instant yeast

Add 1 T yeast and a pinch of sugar to 1/4 cup lukewarm water (100-105 degrees). Let sit 5 minutes until yeast is dissolved and bubbly. While you are waiting melt 2 T. butter. In separate bowl, whisk egg lightly, add remaining 3/4 cup water and the melted butter. When yeast mixture has bloomed add water mixture and stir. Put in a large mixer bowl (I have a KitcehnAid) fitted with a dough hook.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and sugar. With mixer on lowest setting, start adding flour/sugar mixture slowly until it is incorporated. Turn mixture up to setting 2 and let it knead for 10 minutes--the dough will look smooth and will be clinging to the hook. Add 1 tsp salt during the last minute of kneading. Lightly flour a flat surface, remove dough from mixer and lightly knead for 1-2 minutes. Shape into a ball and place into a greased bowl in a warm spot, covered for 1 hour. Shape into 8 buns and place onto greased cookie sheet, cover and let rise for 30-40 minutes. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 12-15 minures until golden. Cool on a wire rack.

I don't think I will EVER purchase hamburger rolls again---these are very good, tasty and the texture is much better than the air that one usually gets. If you are in a pinch--or just like to bake--or maybe even curious---try this recipe--you will not be disappointed.

I downloaded this from another forum many moons ago and it came in handy today---Contessa's Kitchen is the forum.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Flour strike!!! by Roxanne 21 (Would you believe???...)
That is so cool that you did that! I bet your house smelled wonderful!! I have to save this one to try when school is done

WTG!
I haven't made hamburger/hot dog buns forever!! Used to do it when the kids were home. Thanks Roxanne, this is a keeper!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Flour strike!!! by DFen911 (That is so cool that...)
Don't ya just love the smell of baking bread??? Nothing like it. I always make a plan to do this type of baking when some potential buyer comes for a viewing----not that we have had that many "lookers" but I can always hope!!
I've been seeing that recipe all over the place! It's on my "to do" list....unfortunately, that list is long and getting longer every day!
Tammy
  Re: Re: Flour strike!!! by TwilightKitten (I've been seeing tha...)
Put this recipe up on the top of your "to-do" list, Twilight Kitten-- it's great. I had never, ever been successful with making sandwich buns until this recipe. I use 2/3 white whole wheat flour and 1/3 bread flour to make them healthier, and they always turn out wonderfully.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Flour strike!!! by foodfiend (Put this recipe up o...)
Thanks for the tip! We are trying to eat healthier...as much as I hate it!
Tammy
  Re: Re: Flour strike!!! by Roxanne 21 (Don't ya just love t...)
Off topic for a minute -

"when some potential buyer comes for a viewing----not that we have had that many "lookers" but I can always hope!!"

Roxanne, we're sending you all kinds of good vibes for that buyer that will absolutely love your home and buy it instantly - then you can come home!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Flour strike!!! by foodfiend (Put this recipe up o...)
We're having a few friends and family for the traditional dogs and burgers BBQ this weekend. I'm thinking of trying this recipe for the burger buns, with the whole wheat as you suggest. I'll keep some store ones in the freezer in case of failure tho'
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Flour strike!!! by cjs (Off topic for a minu...)
VIBES, VIBES and MORE VIBES---PLEASE!!!! The more the better, can use all the assistance available. Appreciate your pleasant thoughts, Jean.