Yorkshire Pudding
  Re: (...)
I'm new today to this forum, and would like to ask a question. We just returned for a vacation in the mountains of Wyoming, where I had the biggest Yorkshire Puddings I have ever seen. Her recipe is the same as mine, and I was just wondering if the altitude had anything to do with the rising of the puddings. (I live in the Toronto, Ontario area, so closer to sea level) Anyone have any ideas???
Thanks from a first-timer.
  Re: Yorkshire Pudding by swissmiss (I'm new today to thi...)
Good morning Swissmiss and welcome to C@H!! Interesting question - and I wish I could answer it!! I've always lived at sea level, so I have no experience with high altitude baking. Hopefully, another member will be by shortly with an answer for you.

If your method is the same (as is your recipe) - hot popover pan, high baking (400 F) for ~10 min - this gives the nice heighth to your pudding - and reduction of heat (325F) for ~25 min., I can't see where the difference would come in.

But...someone will know.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Yorkshire Pudding by cjs (Good morning Swissmi...)
Welcome Swissmiss----you're not Martina Hingis are you??? JUST kidding----altitude has NO effect on Yorkshire puddings. I have lived high altitude and sealevel---same recipe---same result. The only thought I have is that maybe she used a different recipe with more rising agent. Were you able to access the recipe?

Hope you will visit often!!

Roxanne
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Yorkshire Pudding by cjs (Good morning Swissmi...)
I have a Yorshire Pudding question. I use the recipe from the old James Beard edition of the NYTimes Cookbook which I received as a wedding present in 1974. It always tastes wonderful but is very uneven. Am I not mixing thoroughly enough? The recipe warns against overmixing. I suppose I can tell everyone to just close their eyes and enjoy it. I serve it at Christmas with a standing rib roast.
  Re: Re: Yorkshire Pudding by lxxf (I have a Yorshire Pu...)
What is your recipe? Mine is 1 c.flour, 1 c. milk, 2 eggs, and salt. My friend from the post above with the perfect, huge puddings, told me she beats it with a hand blender, then lets it rest for a bit, then 425 for 10 minutes, and 350 for about 25 minutes. Her pans were the blackest old things, and she told me she thinks that's the secret. I'm gonna keep trying until I perfect it.
  Re: Re: Yorkshire Pudding by lxxf (I have a Yorshire Pu...)
lxxf, I have the same book, only I and the darn book are older...and the recipe is the same as Swissmiss'.

I'm wondering if you are being too careful about the mixing...when I use a mixer, I beat on high for ~15 seconds.
That may make the difference???

I haven't made Yorkshire pudding for so long!! I think I'm now over cooking Prime Rib darn near everyday at work, so maybe I'll do it this winter. Sounds so good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Yorkshire Pudding by cjs (lxxf, I have the sam...)
I have a feeling that letting it rest for 30 to 45 minutes is the trick--I also beat on high speed for a short time. Be sure to place in the smoking hot oil and place immediately in oven---and don't open the oven during baking--I think I should make this befoer the really HOT weather arrives. Haven't had a good prime rib roast in a while--hmmm-----
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Yorkshire Pudding by cjs (lxxf, I have the sam...)
Thanks to cjs and Swiss Miss. I just looked up the recipe and it said mix until well blended. I don't know why I've apparently misread the darn thing for over thirty years. I'm gonna blend the daylights out of the thing next time!
  Re: Re: Yorkshire Pudding by lxxf (Thanks to cjs and Sw...)
watch out world, lxxf is on a mission!!
www.achefsjourney.com