Making Things in Quantity
  Re: (...)
Have any of you made things in quantity intending to freeze most of it for later use? A couple of days ago I made 6 dozen golfball size meatballs for later use. I used the recipe from the Sopranos cookbook for Sunday Gravy. It calls for 1 pound of meat and I made 5 pounds of meat..and of course I messed with the recipe.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Making Things in Quantity by bjcotton (Have any of you made...)
Wow, six dozen meatballs! That certainly is quantity!
Since it's just DH and me, if I make something that is time-intensive, like meatballs, I will triple the recipe and freeze the extras. I also grill several chicken breasts at a time (no sense heating up the grill for 2) and freeze them. They're great for quick lunches or dinners.

COOL! With this post I become a "newbie" and can leave that disconcerting "stranger" behind...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Making Things in Quantity by foodfiend (Wow, six [u]dozen[/u...)
Foodfiend, do you have a FoodSaver? I buy many things in bulk, saving money, and then portion and vacuum pack then freeze them. When it's just my sis and I at home, I just thaw one package; when her hubby, the 800 pound gorilla, is home I thaw two packages. It's also great for leftovers.

Billy
  Re: Re: Making Things in Quantity by bjcotton (Foodfiend, do you ha...)
"Have any of you made things in quantity intending to freeze most of it for later use?"

...all my life...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Making Things in Quantity by cjs ("Have any of you mad...)
ditto Jean.

I used to always double the recipe to freeze the extra for the next week or so.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Making Things in Quantity by cjs ("Have any of you mad...)
Quote:

"Have any of you made things in quantity intending to freeze most of it for later use?"

...all my life...

At Jean's "Last Party on the Hill" I mentioned that there must have been 40 or 50 people there and she said something like, "oh, this is nothing, we frequently have about 100-200 people here wandering all over the place." No wonder you always cook in quantity Jean

Billy
  Re: Re: Making Things in Quantity by bjcotton (Foodfiend, do you ha...)
Quote:

Foodfiend, do you have a FoodSaver? I buy many things in bulk, saving money, and then portion and vacuum pack then freeze them. When it's just my sis and I at home, I just thaw one package; when her hubby, the 800 pound gorilla, is home I thaw two packages. It's also great for leftovers.

Well, I've never considered a Foodsaver because of the plastic that is wasted. I admit it. I'm very weird that way. I use ziploc freezer bags, suck the air out with a straw, then wash and reuse them until the zipper-thing falls off. It just makes me feel better.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Making Things in Quantity by foodfiend ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Foodfiend,
I reuse all of my foodsaver bags! They are dishwasher safe! I don't know how I've made it without one all this time! Something to defenitely consider!
I will save more money in a year than it cost!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Making Things in Quantity by Bizymomma (Foodfiend, [br]I reu...)
Quote:

Foodfiend,
I reuse all of my foodsaver bags! They are dishwasher safe! I don't know how I've made it without one all this time! Something to defenitely consider!
I will save more money in a year than it cost!

Really? You can reuse the bags? Oh my...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Making Things in Quantity by foodfiend ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Yep! When you cut them open, you'll lose a little space, but I just turn mine inside out, wash them and they're good to go again!
Loving every moment of my life!!