Okay, so what about spaghetti sauce?
  Re: (...)
I've been very interested to read the posts on chili.
So who's got a great sauce for spaghetti?
I like to put olives, mushrooms, onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, anchovy paste, and beef or chicken in mine!
What about you?
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Okay, so what about spaghetti sauce? by Bizymomma (I've been very inter...)
I used to do it up big like that with pork chops, chicken and the works but nowadays I just enjoy my sauce rather plain with a little ground beef and the 'regular' spices.

I guess I'm saving room for all the Italian bread that I eat, loaded with butter.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Okay, so what about spaghetti sauce? by Bizymomma (I've been very inter...)
I have a basic (plum tomatoes, tom. paste, oregano, basil, lots of black pepper, olive oil and fiinish with speck of cider vinegar) one that I just add different items to at different times (which means whatevers in the pantry/frig)

And, to me, spaghetti sauce is like stock - never boil, just simmer. I usually let mine cook too long probably because I just love the way it makes the house smell!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Okay, so what about spaghetti sauce? by Half_Baked (I used to do it up b...)
Mine is very similar to Jean's---vinegar?? Hmmm---

I add tons of fresh basil and garlic---LOVE garlic!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Okay, so what about spaghetti sauce? by Roxanne 21 (Mine is very similar...)
I have two versions - Smooth and chunky.

My smooth I start on the stove, fresh roma tomatoes, lots of garlic, oregano, basil, red wine (some for the sauce and some for me), mushrooms, small diced onions and a bit of parmesan cheese. Then when that is cooked down she goes into a crockpot for 6 hours on low and then it's chilled and refridgerated overnight.

My chunky starts the same but I add celery and onion which has been sauteed a bit, the mushrooms go in at the end, sometimes zucchini, basil, oregano (fresh if I can get it) browned ground turkey or chicken, more red wine here too (ok I'll have a second glass as well), fresh parmesan and let this cook for about an hour. I usually start the tomatoes going first while I'm chopping up all the other goodies.

I'm hungry now...
  Re: Re: Okay, so what about spaghetti sauce? by DFen911 (I have two versions ...)
I add vinegar too and a sprinkle of sugar.

Next time you make sauce, sprinkle it with 1/16 or 1/8 t of baking soda...it's amazing how it lightens it up. Just a bit of the soda because I have put too much in and it tasted awful. I do this every once in awhile.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.