Stir-Fried Cauliflower with Mediterranean Accents
  Re: (...)
This is quite good (and I'm not a cauliflower lover...)

Stir-Fried Cauliflower with Mediterranean Accents
Hot Vegetables, by Hugh Carpenter & Teri Sandison

1/2 cup walnut pieces
10 sundried tomato slices
8 kalamata olives or other imported black pitted olives
1 head cauliflower
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 shallot, minced
1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon crushed red chile
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped basil leaves

ADVANCE PREPARATION Preheat the oven to 350°, Drop the walnuts in 4 cups of rapidly boiling water. Cook for 3 minutes. Then drain the walnuts, spread them on a baking sheet, and place the sheet in the preheated oven until the walnuts turn dark golden, about 15 minutes. Set nuts aside. (OR just toast the nuts in a dry skillet.)

Place dried tomato slices in a bowl, cover with boiling water, and soak for 30 minutes; then remove the tomatoes and thinly slice. Chop the olives.

Trim off and discard the cauliflower stem and leaves. Separate the cauliflower into its individual florets. Cut the florets in half or into wedges; then refrigerate.

In a small bowl, combine oil, garlic, and shallot. In another bowl, combine broth, the grated zest from 1 lemon, chile, salt, and basil; refrigerate. Into a small bowl, squeeze the lemon, strain the juice, and refrigerate.

All advance preparation steps may be completed up to 8 hours before you begin the final steps.

Place a wok over highest heat. When the wok is very hot, add the oil, garlic. and shallot. Saute for a few seconds and then add the cauliflower, toma¬toes, and olives.

Stir and toss for 5 sec¬onds, then add the broth mixture. Immediately cover the wok and steam-cook the cauliflower until it becomes tender when pierced with a fork, about 8 minutes.

Periodically during cooking remove the top and stir the cauliflower. When the cauliflower becomes tender, stir in the nuts and add 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice, depending on how lemon-tasting and tart you want the cauliflower to be. Transfer to a heated serving platter or dinner plates. Serve at once.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Stir-Fried Cauliflower with Mediterranean Accents by cjs (This is quite good (...)
Five stars Jean, looks really lish. Saved, thank you very much.
  Re: Re: Stir-Fried Cauliflower with Mediterranean Accents by vannin (Five stars Jean, loo...)
You're welcome, you little old cauliflower lover, you (and Roy)!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Stir-Fried Cauliflower with Mediterranean Accents by cjs (You're welcome, you ...)
Cauliflower is right up there with one of my favorite veggies--always looking for a new recipe---printed. Thanks, Jean---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Stir-Fried Cauliflower with Mediterranean Accents by cjs (This is quite good (...)
in the mail. Are you familiar with this magazine? It offers supposedly gourmet meals which are frozen and shipped in boil-in-bags. They feature a cauliflower puree which they offer as part of a low-carb white veggie. I tried making it with a little butter and cream. What's not to like with butter and cream. I found it useful to drain it very well, as it tends to be watery.
  Re: I received Home Bistro by lxxf (in the mail. Are yo...)
No, have never seen that magazine.
But, I am familiar with the process 'Sous-vide' which is French for "under vacuum" - a lot of restaurants are using this method for last minute cooking of dishes which normally take too long for ordering.

I also used this when I was doing some personal cheffing - great way to save foods. I still use them for house use - love my FoodSaver (almost as much as BillyJ loves his!!)
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I received Home Bistro by cjs (No, have never seen ...)
No-- I haven't seen that magazine either. However--about a year ago I was getting TONS of spam from a site in North Carolina that was into this method of selling their gourmet meals. Looked really interesting but I did not get hooked--looks as though they are back under a different guise.

Gotta get me a food saver one of these days.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: I received Home Bistro by Roxanne 21 (No-- I haven't seen ...)
The recipe you gave was totally tempting Jean m'love! I'm planning to make it tomorrow. Would it go well over Fettucine? That's what I'm thinking, or over cheese Tortellini maybe for protein?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Med Cauliflower Asian Accents by farnfam (The recipe you gave ...)
Hmmmm, now cheese tortelllni sounds interesting, but don't see why not with any pasta. (We behaved ourselves and just had the salmon and cauiflower... ) Hope you like as much as Roy!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Med Cauliflower Asian Accents by cjs (Hmmmm, now cheese to...)
MMMmmmm, this was sooo very good. We had it for dinner tonite over fettucine. I followed the recipe as written except for adding a roasted sweet pepper to the sundried tomatoes. Wonderful comfort food, very very yummy!
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life