I'm looking for a pork pie recipe
  Re: (...)
The PO's (Picky One) late father was of French Canadian descent. Every Thanksgiving, his mother would make a pork dressing for him, basically, it was a pork pie filling without the crust. I can't seem to find a good recipe for this. It's made with ground pork, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. I can't ask her for the recipe-she hasn't spoken to me in 11 years.

Any ideas for me?

Thanks in advance!

PJ
PJ
  Re: I'm looking for a pork pie recipe by pjcooks (The PO's (Picky One)...)
Lorraine had a pork pie type recipe. You should bug her for it.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: I'm looking for a pork pie recipe by bjcotton (Lorraine had a pork ...)
Was it Cretons? That's ground pork, cooked with stock and spices, quite fatty. Or, were you thinking of Tourtiere, the traditional meat pie without the dough? Not that there's much difference between the two.

I did tourtiere turnovers last weekend that were, simply put, incredible. If I do say so myself.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: I'm looking for a pork pie recipe by Lorraine (Was it Cretons? Th...)
Lorraine, to be honest, I can't answer that. I know it's made with ground pork, so many recipes I looked at called for cubed pork. I can almost taste your turnovers typing this in!

If it isn't too much trouble, I would love your recipes.

Thank you!

PJ (And thanks, Billy, for the nudge!)
PJ
  Re: I'm looking for a pork pie recipe by pjcooks (The PO's (Picky One)...)
My ex's parents were both of French Canadian descent---his Mother used to make pork pies every year for New Year's Day. I never got the recipe---a SECRET!!--but have a recipe somewhere in one of my books that is pretty delicious. I'll try to find it and post---my, my, Haven't thought about this in DECADES--we used to have it with cranberry sauce and a salad. Very rich but very good.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: I'm looking for a pork pie recipe by pjcooks (Lorraine, to be hone...)
FRENCH-CANADIAN MEAT PIE (TOURTIERE)

6-8 servings

Cheddar Crust
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup grated aged cheddar cheese
½ tsp salt
¼ cup unsalted butter, well chilled and cut into pieces
¼ cup lard or vegetable shortening
¼ cup ice water, or more

Filling
3 TBS vegetable oil
2 medium onions, minced
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 ½ pounds lean ground pork
2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
¼ cup water
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp savory
¼ tsp celery seed
1/8 tsp ground cloves
½ cup fresh breadcrumbs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 TBS Dijon mustard
1 egg beaten with 2 TBS whipping cream (for glaze)

For the crust:
Combine flour, cheese and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Blend in ¼ cup ice water just until dough holds together, adding more water if necessary. Divide dough in half. Shape into balls, wrap in plastic and chill while preparing the filling.

For the filling:

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and garlic. Cover and cook until translucent, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Addd pork and cook until no longer pink, mashing frequently with a fork. Mix in tomatoes, water, cinnamon, savory, celery seed and cloves. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Stir in breadcrumbs and salt and pepper; cool.

Roll 1 portion of dough out on a lightly floured surface into 1/8 inch thick round, place in a 10 inch deep dish metal pie pan. Brush bottom with mustard. Spoon filling into crust. Roll remaining dough in the same manner and drape over dish, crimping edges to seal and trimming excess. Reroll dough scraps and cut out leaf shapes. Cut 8 vents in pattern in the top crust to steam to escape. Brush pastry will glaze. Arrange leaves atop crust and brush with glaze. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead—cover and refrigerate).

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bake pie 10 minutes. Reduce temp to 350 degrees and continue baking until golden brown, about 35 minutes. (If top browns too quickly, drape loosely with foil). Serve hot, warm or at room temp.

This is a really “hearty” meal. I made with my own usual plain pastry crust and felt it was just as good as the cheddar crust—just depends on your taste and preference. Both are great!! I also feel that some type of tart chutney type condiment is a must to cut some of that rich taste.

Serve with a nice green salad and you’re good to go for quite some time---great leftover, too. One of those dishes that gets tastier as it sits.

From COOKING WITH BON APPETIT
Beef, Veal, Lamb & Pork
Copyright 1984
  Re: Re: I'm looking for a pork pie recipe by Roxanne 21 (FRENCH-CANADIAN MEAT...)
There ya go PJ. I knew we could drag a recipe out of someone

Billy
  Re: Re: I'm looking for a pork pie recipe by Roxanne 21 (FRENCH-CANADIAN MEAT...)
Okay, I lost my last post, so I'll try again!

Thank you for the recipe, it looks like it's exactly what I want. Great idea about the cranberry sauce. I appreciate you taking the time to post it for me.

Hey, BJ, isn't it great to have a resource like this, where people are willing to take the time to help out?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: I'm looking for a pork pie recipe by pjcooks (Okay, I lost my last...)
That's what friends --and "family"-- are for!!! Hope you enjoy as much as I used to...DH enjoyed this meal even though it's "not my thing"--- Don't know til you try, famous last words!!!!!
  Re: Re: I'm looking for a pork pie recipe by Roxanne 21 (That's what friends ...)
You betcha PJ. Many times I would have been in trouble if not for my friends

Billy