We're Off To Oregon!!
  Re: (...)
We're leaving in a couple hours for Oregon to play early Santa to one daughter and grandson!!

But, wanted to leave you all with a recipe I tried last nite - it's one of those off the wall things...that works!!

Since it was given to me on another forum, I'm going to take the short cut and just post my response to the 'giver' instead of typing all over again. I haven't done the nutrition on these shells, but it looks like they would be healthier than corn tortillas, don't you think??

TACOS WITH SOFT TACO SHELLS

"Oh my Alix - you have created a monster!!

Made tacos (old family style - lettuce, tomato, olives, cheese & onions) using your soft taco shell recipe. What a treat they were - there were three left after stuffing ourselves and my husband ate those also sprinkled with just a little salt.

I'll just add what I did with the chicken for filliing - it turned out quite nice also -

I tossed together 2 chicken breasts, raw and cut up bite-size with:
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. grd. cumin
1/8 tsp. each - garlic powder and cayenne

Brown the chicken in just a tad of oil; remove from skillet and keep warm.

To the pan, add one (14 1/2oz.) can of diced tomatoes, 1 jalapeno minced up (seeds and membrane included), 1 T. golden Tequila and cook that down a little, about 15 min.

Add the chicken back to the pan along with a cornstarch/water slurry to thicken it up a bit for the taco shells.

What a great dinner this all made. Thank you, Alix - it was fun too!"

* Exported from MasterCook *

Soft Taco Shells

1 1/2 cups milk
1 egg
1 cup flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 pinch salt

Whisk egg in the milk, add the flour and stir til well blended. Add in the cornmeal and stir til evenly distributed. This should be quite runny, don't be afraid to add more milk as needed.

Pour about 1/4 - 1/3 cup batter in very hot, oiled frying pan and rotate pan to coat the bottom with the batter. When the top starts to look dry all over its time to flip. Repeat until you've used all the batter.

This amount usually feeds 4 family members or 2 ravenous adults. Enjoy!

P.S. Amber, when I made these tonight I realized that my 1 cup of flour is not a level one. So it is likely more like 1 1/4 cups flour.

Alix, Discuss Cooking posted on 11/28/06

It makes 12 six inch shells. Gobo, thats a lot even for YOU.
(the soft taco shells Alix posted yesterday)
------------
my question - are you saying use these shells as you would for just regular taco tacos????

Yes, cjs, it works very well that way. Its like a thick crepe, so when you are making them keep that particular texture in mind. I make mine in my 6 inch frying pan as I don't have a crepe pan. I have tried them in my 10 inch frying pan and they work well there too. We just prefer them smaller as they can be a touch messy. LOL.

-------

Honest to God, thes work and they are delicious. I forgot the note Alix added about the 1 1/4 c. flour - I just used the one cup (5 oz. for those in the know... ) flour and they worked great.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: We're Off To Oregon!! by cjs (We're leaving in a c...)
Thanks for the recipe! Have a safe and enjoyable trip!!
  Re: Re: We're Off To Oregon!! by dollop (Thanks for the recip...)
Jean, bless your heart! Only YOU would try to give us a wonderful recipe before you hit the road for a wonderful Christmas. I wish I could be with my granddaughter.

You have a fun and safe trip!

PS - I'm giving this recipe 'the finger' until Wilfred goes home. It'll take me weeks to add all the recipes to MC.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: We're Off To Oregon!! by Half_Baked (Jean, bless your hea...)
I love the tacos!!! By the way If you are near Carlton Oregon check out the Cuneo winery--I just received my 04 release of their Cana's Feast--a Bordeaux style red wine--fabulous!! If you are near Newberg check out the Prive Vineyard--I've got some of their 05 Pinot Noir--fabulous reputation--not ready to drink. Merry Christmas!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: We're Off To Oregon!! by Old Bay (I love the tacos!!! ...)
I was wondering how I was going to use 9 cans of the Rotel diced tomatoes with chilis until I read this. I don't remember what it was I made with a can, but it was dubbed as "Too hot!" It was a little spicy.

Jean, please give Tracy and Jim a big hug for me please. If you see Joe and his wife, give them the same [and tell Joe thanks for thinking of me].
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: We're Off To Oregon!! by cjs (We're leaving in a c...)
Jean have a terrific trip!! What a wonderful early Christmas gift to you as well to be with your family

I'm trying this taco recipe this weekend! Thanks for sharing
  Re: Re: We're Off To Oregon!! by bjcotton (I was wondering how ...)
Keep safe, Jean and Roy!! What a lovely trip to look forward to---it's always wonderful to see family---can't wait until grandchildren arrive in my family---sigh---thanks for the soft taco recipe---NOW if someone could post a tortilla recipe that DOES NOT use masa harina, I would certainly be the happiest camper ever!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: We're Off To Oregon!! by Roxanne 21 (Keep safe, Jean and ...)
Well, my dear, let me go in search of one for you.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: We're Off To Oregon!! by Old Bay (I love the tacos!!! ...)
Thanks a lot, Bill!! Now I think we're going to stay an extra day to check out the wineries you mentioned...They are not near where we are (Medford) - they are north tho, so will be on the way home.

We are going wine tasting today in this area, I can't believe all the wineries in Oregon since we lived here in the 80s.

Dinner changes around here - Tracie wants the tacos for dinner instead of the Pork Loin dinner (from c@h Dec.) I think tacos were the favorite dinner for her and her siblings, so we'll play with this one again tonite.

I should mention (and it's too late to edit the recipe) - the cornmeal will sink to the bottom of the batter - it doesn't really dissolve, so when you scoop up batter, go all the way to the bottom to include some.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: We're Off To Oregon!! by cjs (Thanks a lot, Bill!!...)
Have a great trip, Jean! And Tracie, have a great time with your company!!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.