and a great Christmas dessert
  Re: (...)
Okay...this is korny, I know. But I'm usually the one fixing the main ingredients...letting everyone else bring the standard pumpkin pie, pecan pie,..breads. I ventured one year and brought a raisen pie (martha stewart)..everyone was excited. But I would like to fix a "knock-your-socks-off" dessert. There again, any suggestions?
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: and a great Christmas dessert by Bizymomma (Okay...this is korny...)
How about a Buche De Noel? I have never made one myself, but my aunt used to make them for Christmas eve dinner.

I also had a recipe for a rolled pumpkin cake with a cream filling I will see if I can find it.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
I found the pumpkin roll recipe.

Pumpkin Roll

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
CAKE
1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 cup walnuts -- chopped (optional)
FILLING
1 package cream cheese -- (8 ounces) at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar -- sifted
6 tablespoons butter or margarine -- softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Powdered sugar (optional)

FOR CAKE:

PREHEAT oven to 375° F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax
paper. Grease and flour paper. Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with
powdered sugar.

COMBINE flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in
small bowl. Beat eggs and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until
thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared
pan. Sprinkle with nuts.

BAKE for 13 to 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched.
Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off
paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on
wire rack.

FOR FILLING:

BEAT cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in
small mixer bowl until smooth. Carefully unroll cake; remove towel. Spread
cream cheese mixture over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and
refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before
serving.

NOTES : Be sure to put enough powdered sugar on the towel when
rolling up the cake so it will not stick.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
Here's a couple ideas for you -

Here is a fabulous Chocolate Bread Pudding from the kitchens of the now-defunct Arcadia Restaurant in New York. Anne Rosenzweig is an excellent and creative chef.

ARCADIA'S CHOCOLATE BREAD PUDDING
(from Anne Rosenzweig)

12 servings

1 large, unsliced challah cut into 12 even slices
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 pound bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
12 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch of salt

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly butter a 9 by 12-inch baking dish.

2. Brush the bread slices with the melted butter. Set them on a baking sheet and toast them in the hot oven until they are golden brown.

3. Roughly chop the chocolate and place in a bowl over very hot water so it will melt slowly.

4. Heat the cream and milk in a saucepan and bring almost to a boil. Meanwhile, whisk the sugar and yolks in a large bowl until well blended. Slowly whisk in the cream and milk mixture. Strain the mixture and skim off any foam. Add the yolk mixture to the melted chocolate, whisking constantly. Stir in the vanilla and salt.

5. Arrange the toasted bread in 2 overlapping rows in the prepared baking dish. Pour the chocolate mixture over the bread, cover with plastic wrap and place a smaller pan on top of the bread so that the slices stay submerged. Add weights if necessary.

6. Let stand for 1 hour or until bread is soaked through.

7. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Remove the weights, pan and plastic wrap, and cover with aluminum foil (shiny side in). Punch with holes to allow steam to escape. Bake in a water bath in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes, or until liquid has been absorbed and the pudding has a glossy look. Cut into squares and serve warm with softly whipped cream, very good vanilla ice cream, Crème Anglaise, etc.

GRAND MARNIER MOUSSE WITH BLACKBERRIES

Recipe By : Bon Appetit, 9/01
Serving Size : 8
(Note: you might not find fresh berries for garnish this time of year, maybe use a sprinkle of orange zest, or dried cranberries, or.....)

2 T. whole milk -- +1/2 cup
1 tsp unflavored gelatin
7 lg egg yolks
1/3 c sugar
5 ozs White Chocolate -- Lindt or Bakers, chopped
1/4 c Grand Marnier -- + 2 T.
1 2/3 c whipping cream
2 T. orange marmalade
4 c blackberries

Pour 2 T. milk into small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over & let soften 5 min. Whisk egg yolks & sugar in med. metal bowl to blend. Place over saucepan of simmering water (do not let bowl touch water). Whisk mixture over water till temp. registers 160 F., ~3 min. Remove from heat. Add gelatin mixture to yolk mixture & whisk to dissolve gelatin.

Place white chocolate in large bowl. Bring remaining 1/2 cup milk to simmer in heavy small saucepan. Pour hot milk over chocolate & whisk till chocolate is melted & smooth. Fold egg yolk mix. into choc. mix. & let cool to room temp. Whisk in 1/4 cup Grand Marnier. Whip cream to soft peaks. Fold whipped cream into Grand Marnier mix. Divide mousse among 8 wineglasses. Cover and Chill overnite.

Whisk remaining 2 T. Grand Marnier & orange marmalade in large bowl to blend. Add berries & toss gently to combine. Spoon blackberry topping over mousse in each glass & serve.

NOTES : This is so good w/Champagne - especially Schramsberg Cremant!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: and a great Christmas dessert by cjs (Here's a couple idea...)
After watching a cooking contest last night [the judges were 7 top chefs from the Ritz] I'm going to have to attempt a souffle. It was this contestants first attempt [she was assigned the recipe] and it turned out magnificiently.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: and a great Christmas dessert by bjcotton (After watching a coo...)
It really is a great delight!! Souffles are soo easy I can't understand why cooks are so intimidated by them---the ooo's and aah's are wonderful, too!!!

BILLY---I see you on--what time have you got there?? (If you are still on line that is---

GREAT DESSERT??? I usually try to feel out the guests and will make a little bit of everything that seems to be their favorites---can be a little daunting but always appreciated---dumb, I know!!! But the smile is worth it!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
HI - I'm Lisa from the Kraft Kitchens. I've made many desserts for holiday celebrations over the years - and one of my favorite desserts to make is a cake. You can even make the cake itself ahead of time, wrap it well and store it for a day or two, then just frost it the day of the party.

Here is a great holiday cake that I'm sure everyone will love.

Chocolate-Candy Cane Cake

Makes: 18 servings

1 pkg. (2-layer size) chocolate cake mix
1 pkg. (4-serving size) Jell-O Chocolate Flavor Instant Pudding & Pie Filling
4 eggs
1 container (8 oz.) Breakstone's or Knudsen Sour Cream
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup water
4 squares Baker's Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate, chopped
18 small candy canes, coarsely crushed (about 1 cup), divided
1 tub (8 oz. ) Cool Whip Whipped Topping, thawed

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two 9-inch round cake pans. Beat cake mix, dry pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, oil and water in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed just until moistened, stopping frequently to scrape side of bowl. Beat on medium speed 2 min. or until well blended. Stir in chopped chocolate and 2 Tbsp. of the crushed candy canes. Spoon evenly into prepared pans.
BAKE 35 to 40 min. or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool 10 min. Loosen cakes from sides of pans with metal spatula or knife. Invert cakes onto wire racks; carefully remove pans. Cool completely.
PLACE one of the cake layers on serving plate; spread evenly with 1 cup of the whipped topping. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and side of cake with remaining whipped topping. Sprinkle with remaining crushed candy canes just before serving. Store leftover cake in refrigerator.
  Re: Re: and a great Christmas dessert by lisafromkraft (HI - I'm Lisa from t...)
Hi - it's Lisa again. Another dessert I like to make is cheesecake. These little cheesecake bars are decorated to look like presents. And I find people really like individual desserts!

Holiday Cheesecake Presents

Makes: 32 servings, one bar each

1-1/2 cups Honey Maid Graham Cracker Crumbs
1/3 cup butter, melted
3 Tbsp. sugar
3 pkg. (8 oz. each) Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
Decorating gels
Colored sprinkles

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Mix crumbs, butter and 3 Tbsp. sugar; press firmly onto bottom of 13x9-inch baking pan.
BEAT cream cheese, 3/4 cup sugar and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs; mix just until blended. Pour over crust.

BAKE 30 min. or until center is almost set. Cool.

Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight. Cut into 32 bars. Decorate with gels and sprinkles to resemble "presents." Store leftover bars in refrigerator.
  Re: Re: and a great Christmas dessert by lisafromkraft (Hi - it's Lisa again...)
Hi Lisa! Great to have you join us! You work in the Kraft kitchens? What a fun job that must be.

Since I'm not a peppermint fan, I'll just gloss over that one...but the 'Cheesecake Presents' sound like great little goodies. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

And don't be a stranger!

P.S. By the way, those of you who have made cheesecake lollipops, wouldn't this be a great one to use??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: and a great Christmas dessert by cjs (Hi Lisa! Great to ha...)
What great soundign recipes!!!!

Welcome, Lisa!

Cheesecake lollipops? I don't remember hearing about them. that's not to say I didn't, of course. Can you explain how you do them? Thx.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.