Jambalaya Stuffed Peppers Review
  Re: (...)
O.K., everyone, I waited till 6:15 a.m. for all you early birds to post your review and since I keep getting timed out on this darn forum, while it's working I'm going to post mine...

We loved this dish - made excactly like the recipe, but will play with it next time. I don't think the turkey kielbasa has enuf flavor, so will go with the higher fat wonderful one.

I just made 4 peppers (with the two of us) and the rest of the filling, I'm going to play with tonite. It's got a great flavor - great Cajun Spice mix included with the recipe.

Another winner! (no dessert - decided to keep being good.)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Jambalaya Stuffed Peppers Review by cjs (O.K., everyone, I wa...)
Jambalaya Stuffed Peppers---Review

Okay, I made this a couple of nights ago because I was a little tired of cheese and crackers and/or a salad. DH is away sooo—I don’t have the tendency to place myself in the kitchen for any sort of major meal prep—plus the fact that I’m still spending 14-16 hours a day cleaning and making my lists for whatever---UGH!!!

This was a great change from what I was having to dine on--

I found that the microwave idea for the peppers was a real eye opener—I have never thought of doing that but certainly is a time saver and the peppers were perfectly done.

I don’t have the experience of having turkey kielbasa here soooo I used the pork sausage mixture (Jean,s recipe—the BEST) and it was such an incredible addition to the final dish!!!

I also don’t have boil-in-a bag rice (NOT EDIBLE) so made my usual rice recipe, still moist but somewhat dry---what you would use for a fried rice recipe.

I did cut back on the spice mixture—but would cut back a little more next time—I will make this in the future with subtle changes. I also used Panko bread crumbs with the Parmesan---great!!!

The tomato concasse was really good----very similar to what I use with my pizza base---I will reduce a little more for that. I also added a bit of fresh basil---YUMMM!!!

I sautéed the chicken bits with the sausage and it was very tasty.

This is going to be a GREAT choice for a dinner for my Mom while she is here---she loves this type of food and I think this will be a winner for her. Again, I will have to cut back on the spice a little---I don’t think that will spoil the final result.

To do again---for sure----I would rate about 8 out of 10.

What would be a good dessert for this??? Something really simple and light!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Jambalaya Stuffed Peppers Review by Roxanne 21 (Jambalaya Stuffed Pe...)
We've had this twice already from the time it was decided to make an online dinner of it. One time with turkey and one time with ground sausage. Both times it was great. I love the idea of pre cooking the peppers in the microwave. That really did the trick I think. Subbed corn for rice one time and that was tasty, recommend you give that a try. Good taste, ease of preparation and versatility, but with 1.5 points off for not really elegant looking (many will probby disagree) all in all 6.5 Yums. Great for a week nite supper.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Jambalaya Stuffed Peppers Review by Roxanne 21 (Jambalaya Stuffed Pe...)
I should have added a caveat when I said made just like the recipe called for - I've never used bagged rice!! I was also pleasantly surprised cooking the bells in the microwave - had never done that, not bad atall!

I think I mentioned we aren't real fans of turkey keilbasa so next time I'll probably use linguicia or andouille.

Maryann, that's too bad you didn't think they looked pretty - I took a pix they were so pretty, but deleted it before I saved it... But, I have two for l/os so maybe they will be as pretty and I'll take another one. (geez, could I work another 'pretty' into that sentence???)

I wonder if we were the only three who made it...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jambalaya Stuffed Peppers Review by cjs (I should have added ...)
I made it!!! Except I'm not quite sure why, as I really don't like Cajun spices. I know, I know. I cut down the recipe, as I knew I'd be the only one eating it. ( I'll start a new thread on that subject!!!) My turkey was tasteless, and I found the spice mixture overpowered the rest. I've done the peppers in the microwave before , so that was fun. And the tomato concasse is always good. Just didn't work for me, so probably won't make it again. But, hey, I finally made one the dinners, so that's a plus!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Jambalaya Stuffed Peppers Review by Lorraine (I made it!!! Except ...)
"I finally made one the dinners, so that's a plus!" - hey, that's what it's all about!! We all won't like the same things...how boring would that be. Just don't let this keep you from doing others - please!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jambalaya Stuffed Peppers Review by cjs ("I finally made one ...)
Won't stop me, Jean! Just a lesson well learned that I should read the recipe through, and think about it!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Jambalaya Stuffed Peppers Review by Lorraine (Won't stop me, Jean!...)
That's one of my biggest failings Lorraine, not reading the recipe through, or rather, just reading it and not thinking about it.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Jambalaya Stuffed Peppers Review by bjcotton (That's one of my big...)
Sorry everybody, I didn't make this yet. Made the mistake of making a bathtub of stuffed cabbage this past week. Can't seem to get the hang of cooking for two. Anyway, it was too soon to make this, so maybe next week. I know I won't be using turkey sausage or bagged rice though, and will probably taste as I go on this one.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Jambalaya Stuffed Peppers Review by Mare749 (Sorry everybody, I d...)
I saw the "bathtub" and immediately thought "gin." I'm glad you didn't make any of that stuff Maryann, it'll make your hair and teeth fall out...just look at me
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy