Brisket II
  Re: (...)
Not having done brisket before, I wasn't aware that there are two different cuts - points and flats. Is one better tasting or textured than the other? I can see where the points wouldn't generate as many uniform slices, but a goodly portion is going to wind up diced in the hush puppies anyway.
  Re: Brisket II by Ron (Not having done bris...)
Ron, according to my FLC - the flat cut has minimal fat & is usually more expensive than the more flavorful point cut, which has more fat.

You'll probably want to be point on..... (You're bringing out the worst in me that last few days, mister)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
The flat cut is usually the "trimmed" brisket-little fat. Best way I cook is using the whole brisket Smoke (roast) at 225 for 8-10 hrs with a dry rub, fat side up. At that point you can find the line dividing the flat and point cuts. Seperate them with a knife--the flat cut is delicious and the point cut, with fat now dissolved, can be shredded, combined with BBQ sauce and served as a sandwich. The flat cut is sliced across the grain and served. The flat cut is also the cut used to make Jewish brisket in the oven--delicious!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Brisket cuts are sold separately here. The point cut is $1.69 and the flat cut is $2.29. Price wasn't the major consideration - just what cut was best for the job. Thought I'd ask here first. I'll take a look at them in person, but it looks like I could get a larger flat cut (hence more leftovers) in the pot. Or, maybe I could put two of the smaller point cuts in the pot. Anyway, I want at least 4 pounds to allow for shrinkage because CAH says 4 pounds becomes 2 after cooking.
  Re: Re: Brisket II by Ron (Brisket cuts are sol...)
This won't help you much, I'm afraid but I usually cook one of each to cover all the bases. Of course, they're smaller ones.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Brisket II by pjcooks (This won't help you ...)
Quote:

This won't help you much, I'm afraid but I usually cook one of each to cover all the bases. Of course, they're smaller ones.
PJ

Can you 'stack' them in the same pot, or do you have to use two pots. I'm thinking corned beef hash after the brisket and the hush puppies.
  Re: Re: Brisket II by Ron ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Ron, I cheat-I have a big crockpot and because they each weigh about 3# or a little under, they fit side by side. I'm just never home long enough to leave them on the stovetop. Something tells me stacking wouldn't be a good idea but that's just my first impression, I'm sure someone who knows more than I will help you out.

Doesn't the C@H recipe call for a large brisket (about 5#)?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Brisket II by pjcooks (Ron, I cheat-I have ...)
CAH calls for a 4 pounder. That would be the absolute minimum for the leftovers I want to make. If I can't get one at least that big, I'll have to go with two. When I braise two chuck roasts in the same pot, I always turn half way through to get the inside to the outside. Don't know if that would work as well with brisket (CAH says to cook with the fat side up).
  Re: Re: Brisket II by Ron (CAH calls for a 4 po...)
Ron, the point makes a lovely addition to a decorative cold meat platter, with the slices arranged in order right to the tip, or right from it.
  Re: Re: Brisket II by Ron (CAH calls for a 4 po...)
Ron, if you can, I'd go with side by side and switch half way thru as you mentioned - but, I also don't see why stacking wouldn't work, what the hect, start early.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com