Stock Pot recommendations?
  Re: (...)
How about a suggestion for "best buy for the money" 20 Qt. stock pot? I'm looking for something that will work well for a big pot of sauce simmering for a long time without burning. Can't see spending $300 on it so, looking for reasonable price. Has cuisine at Home done any reviews on these?
Bill
Syracuse NY
  Re: Stock Pot recommendations? by RetiredChief (How about a suggesti...)
Welcome, retired chef!

I bought a 16qt. Tramontina stockpot from Walmart, several years ago. It has served me well, and I use it all the time.

It's 18/10 stainless, 3 ply bottom, cover fits well, and best of all it was only $40 or $50. (sorry, can't remember exactly).

I'm very happy with it. There are some pans and equipment that I feel justify a splurge, this isn't one of them.

I'd rather spend the money on food!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Stock Pot recommendations? by pjcooks (Welcome, retired che...)
Hi Chief, I got mine from Sam's Club a few years back and like PJ, only spent about $50 on it. Sorry I don't remember the brand name, but I've been very happy with it.

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum and hope you will come back and visit. There are very nice people on here.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Welcome, Retired Chief....are you retired from being a Chief??? or a Chef??? Whatever, welcome to you!!

I got all my large stock pots from Restaurant Supply houses - they are heavy enuf to take long cooking.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I've been sniffing around stockpots myself since the only one I have is quite small. If even heat distribution is a major consideration, you can get a 20 qt All-Clad on Amazon for $125. This one is made in China and the cladding is only on the bottom, not up the sides. Doesn't compare to fully clad, but is like 1/4 the price. Otherwise, you might just go to a restaurant supply or discount store and buy the thickest ss one you can get at a price that works for you. There are a lot available in the $50 - $70 range. I've heard decent reports on Farberware, but I couldn't find one of theirs over 16 qt.
  Re: Re: Stock Pot recommendations? by Ron (I've been sniffing a...)
Thanks for all the prompt and thoughtful responses. I'll begin following up on them and post a result.

Bill
Bill
Syracuse NY
  Re: Re: Stock Pot recommendations? by RetiredChief (Thanks for all the p...)
A good idea is buy one that has rivits, rather than soldered (or whatever) handles. Those things get mighty heavy and I never trust them just soldered, and handle coming off would be a disaster, and could well cause horrible burns.
  Re: Re: Stock Pot recommendations? by RetiredChief (Thanks for all the p...)
  Re: Post deleted by sysadmin by (...)
Welcome, Retired Chief!!!

When I first started canning tomatoes a few years ago, I bought a 25 qt stock pot on line. ( I wasn't quite as smart then as I am now!) It was on sale from $399.00 to $249.00. I bought it from Paderno, a Canadian based company out of PEI. We had some of their other pots, and really liked them. Other than the cost, it's the best pot I have in the house. I made tomato paste in it one year. simmered it for almost 18 hours, and nothing stuck.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.