Pizza dough/pie dough...
  Re: (...)
I minimize working with dough - too many ugly experiences. I saw a recipe for a wrap/rollup that sounded good. It called for pizza dough. I asked at the local store and the kid said that they didn't have it and when people asked for pizza dough, he gave them pie dough. I didn't think to ask him if they ever came back. Anyway, to me pie crust seems flaky and pizza crust seems chewy. Will the pie dough work?
  Re: Pizza dough/pie dough... by Ron (I minimize working w...)
imo, if pizza dough was called for, I don't think pie dough would work. Now, if the product was like a pastie (y?), you would use a pie dough.

Is the wrap looking like a calzone? When I think of wraps, I think of the ones made with flour tortillas... If you like it, be sure to post the recipe...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pizza dough/pie dough... by cjs (imo, if pizza dough ...)
I would think if you substituted, I would use a bread dough and try and roll it out, or even the cresent dough and pinch together rather than pie dough. Seems to me that some of the refrigerated pie dough is a little on the sweet side.

I had to try a few stores, but pillsbury makes a pizza crust in a can, Wallmart carried it, plus one other off brand. It was in the same section as the refrigerated biscuits.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Pizza dough/pie dough... by Ron (I minimize working w...)
I agree with Jean---pizza is very different from pie--in texture and result. I would opt for a pizza dough for a wrap--curious, what is the recipe you are making???
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Pizza dough/pie dough... by Roxanne 21 (I agree with Jean---...)
Quote:

--curious, what is the recipe you are making???

It's pretty much just a simple cheese/hamburger/onion combination wrapped in dough, but it sounded easy and something of a change from a straight cheeseburger on a bun. I bought the dough and wouldn't use it for anything else, so I guess I'll give it a shot later this week or early next.
  Re: Re: Pizza dough/pie dough... by Ron ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
That sounds more like a pastie dough--I'll see if I can round one up for you. Pizza is too chewy and pie is too flaky----IMHO. Anybody else???

Back in a bit!!!

Okay---did a little searching and I have concluded that your best bet is a Calzone dough---don't know what you purchased but if it sort of doughy/pasty you will be a winner!!!!

If you need the Calzone dough recipe (even if you don't like playing with dough recipes) it is a winner!!! Issue 12/page 39. I will post if you need--no problem!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
Ron - was that the one in the Kraft food and family magazine that just came out? That's the recipe I bought the pizza dough for. Thought the kids might really enjoy it. Something different.

That is also one of the things that has inspired me to try and make my own pizza crusts. I am not a bread maker!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Pizza dough/pie dough... by esgunn (Ron - was that the o...)
Quote:

Ron - was that the one in the Kraft food and family magazine that just came out? That's the recipe I bought the pizza dough for. Thought the kids might really enjoy it. Something different. That is also one of the things that has inspired me to try and make my own pizza crusts. I am not a bread maker!

Yup, saw that in the magazine and thought it would be a change of pace from a cheeseburger. If anyone is familiar with the old "Our Gang" comedies, I'm with flour pretty much like Spanky, Darla and Buckwheat the time they decided to bake. My uncle was an excellent professional baker - wish I'd gotten with him before he passed on.
hmmm,sounds like my old Bierox - cabbage, burger, onions,garlic wrapped in bread dough and baked. They are made dinner roll shape.

IF you used a pastry dough, I'm sure you would want a mealy dough as opposed to flaky. Mealy dough is just the same as flaky, but the fat is blended into the flour ore thoroughly, till the texture looks like coarse cornmeal.

this is interesting...and I'm sure to be continued......
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pizza dough/pie dough... by cjs (hmmm,sounds like my ...)
The dough is rolled with the contents sort of like a cinnamon roll, so a lot of it will be internal. If it bakes up okay, we'll have it as-is. If not, I guess we'll just eat the beef/cheese/onion.