ISO - Buttercream Frosting
  Re: (...)
Ok I must defer to the experts here.

My MIL was a cake decorator and make the most delicious cakes with butter cream frosting.

She never wrote the recipe down and she passed away 4 years ago. I have gone thru all of her decorating supplies and notes and no luck.

I need to find a recipe that is so creamy (not runny like my last batch) and rich in flavor. I've had some that taste like you ate a cube of butter - bleh. And some so sweet I got a cavity from licking my finger with some on it.

Help!
  Re: ISO - Buttercream Frosting by DFen911 (Ok I must defer to t...)
Denise, I'm definitely not an expert (I make an iced cake once or twice a year!) but I have taken a Wilton decorating class and really like their buttercream icing. The base recipe below is for piping decorations, but below it is the instruction to add corn syrup to thin for frosting the cake. I always use the half-butter half-shortening (trans fat free Crisco) option.

Buttercream Icing

Ingredients:

* 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
* 1/2 cup butter or margarine*
* 1 teaspoon Clear Vanilla
* 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approx. 1 lb.)
* 2 tablespoons milk**

Cream butter and shortening with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.

YIELD: 3 cups

*Substitute all-vegetable shortening and 1/2 teaspoon Wilton No-Color Butter Flavor for pure white icing and stiffer consistency.

**Add 2 tablespoons light corn syrup per recipe to thin for icing cake.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: ISO - Buttercream Frosting by DFen911 (Ok I must defer to t...)
Here's one I use:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Deluxe Cream Cheese Frosting

Recipe By :B. J. Cotton
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Frosting-Glazes-Coulis

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese -- softened
1 3 oz pkg cream cheese -- softened
3/4 cup butter -- softened
1 pound powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Beat the cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar. Beating on low speed until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here's another one I use:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cream Cheese Frosting I

Recipe By : Bill Cotton
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Frosting-Glazes-Coulis

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 8 oz packages cream cheese -- softened
1/2 cup butter -- softened
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

This is a wonderfully creamy frosting that goes well with pumpkin bread, carrot cake, chocolate cake, on cookies, or between cookies. If you want chocolate frosting, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup cocoa, according to how rich you want it.

In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the confectioners' sugar. Store in the refrigerator after use.

Yield:
"3 cups"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy