Wraps, Indian style?
  Re: (...)
I have been searching all morning for a recipe that I believe was in an issue from 2005 or 2006. It called for large flour tortillas dipped in egg and lightly fried, then a sauce was spread on it and then stuffed with I wish I knew what, and possibly curry. It was not the usual wrap at all.. Very gourmet and one was plenty for an adult.
I hope someone out there remembers this one.. I believe there was also a picture of it on the cover.
  Re: Wraps, Indian style? by Silvia (I have been searchin...)
Is this the one?

Curried Lentil Burritos
(Cuisine at home, April 2005, Issue 50, p. 25)

Makes: 2 Burritos Total Time: About 45 Minutes Rating: Intermediate

For the Filling—
Saute in 1 T. Vegetable Oil:
1/4 cup onion, diced
1 t. curry powder
1 t. jalapeño, minced

Stir in and Simmer; Finish with:
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup red potatoes, cubed
1/4 cup brown lentils
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach
Juice of 1/2 a lime
Salt to taste

For the Spiced Yogurt—
Process; Stir in:
1 cup cilantro leaves and stems
1/4 cup scallions, sliced (white and green parts)
2 t. fresh ginger, chopped
1 t. sugar
1/4 t. ground cumin
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Juice of 1/2 a lime
Salt and cayenne to taste
1/2 cup plain yogurt

For the Tortillas—
Blend:
1 egg
1 T. milk
1 T. chopped fresh parsley

Dip; Fry in 1 T. Vegetable Oil:
2 10-inch tortilla

Sprinkle with:
1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded

Saute onion, curry powder, and jalapeño for the filling in oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until onion begins to brown, 5–8 minutes, stirring often.

Stir in broth, tomatoes, potatoes, lentils, and bay leaf. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until lentils are tender, 20–30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the spiced yogurt while lentils cook. Finish lentils with spinach (no need to thaw it first), lime juice, and salt.

Process all ingredients for spiced yogurt except the yogurt in a food processor until minced. Stir herb paste into yogurt; chill until ready to serve.

Blend egg, milk, and parsley for the tortillas in a pie plate. Heat a 12" nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.

Dip both sides of a tortilla in the egg mixture, then fry in half of the oil until golden brown on one side, about 1 minute; flip the tortilla over.

Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese and continue frying until second side is brown, about 1 minute; transfer to a work surface. Add the remaining oil to the skillet and fry the other tortilla in the same manner.

Nutrition Information (Per burrito with spiced yogurt):
866 calories 34% calories from fat 40g total fat 118g carb. 1480mg sodium 26g fiber

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tammy
  Re: Re: Wraps, Indian style? by TwilightKitten (Is this the one?[br]...)
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. That's it!!! I went through the magazines again with the info you sent and looked for the issue by date. And guess what? It was there all along and I missed it.. I'm such a ditz.. Have you tried it? Its fabulous.. Thanks again , and I think I'll check into this site often.. I love to talk food.
silvia
  Re: Re: Wraps, Indian style? by Silvia (THANK YOU, THANK YOU...)
Welcome Silvia, hope to see you around here a lot.
  Re: Re: Wraps, Indian style? by Silvia (THANK YOU, THANK YOU...)
Welcome to the forum, silvia !! We all hope you return often!

WOW, how did I miss that one - it sounds delicious.

Roxanne - here's a wrap for you!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wraps, Indian style? by vannin (Welcome Silvia, hop...)
And a warm welcome from me, Silvia. Please drop in often--a great bunch of friends here!!!

Yes, Jean----working on those wraps---I have another review in the wrap thread---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy