Meltaways or Melt-a-ways
  Re: (...)
I’m interested in a recipe called Meltaways. It is neither the cookie or candy. I went on the net and found bakeries that make these. I emailed a bakery in Rhode Island, they use a Danish dough, roll it out like making cinnamon rolls, spread with a cream cheese smear, roll and cut. They are baked in muffin pans, and when they come out of the oven, while still in the muffin pan, they use a wooden paddle to flatten them a bit, dump them on trays, and when cool frost them with a sugar icing and nuts. Another bakery said they use a Sweet Yeast Dough to make their Meltaways.

I also found a site for a Culinary Program that teaches Laminated doughs: Danish doughs: snails, bear claws, figure eight, 3 leaf, pockets. Variety of fillings: cheese, prune, lekvar, meltaway Coffee cakes: braided, meltaway, scissor cut.

Meltaways are made at a bakery called Bonatt’s Bakery in Harwichport, MA. and at Savage’s Bakery in Homewood, Ala.

Another person emailed this to me:
The meltaways I used to make in the bakeries was made using Danish dough. Rolled out like for a cinnamon roll, smeared with either Cream Cheese filling or plain buttercream, then folded from the outside edge to the center from both sides. It was then folded on itself so it looked a little like a horse hoof. Rolls were cut about 1/2 to 3/4 of inch thick, placed onto pans, proofed and baked. I never did glaze them after the oven because they always seemed to break apart. You could spray them with simple syrup if you like. Once cooled they could iced using the string method (so they don't break) and serve.

Have you ever heard of them? If you can add anything else please let me know!!! I can make cinnamon rolls but would like to learn how to make meltaways.
  Re: Meltaways or Melt-a-ways by Barbarainnc (I’m interested in a ...)
Hi Barbara, welcome to the forum! Great information you posted here. I have not heard of this, but it sure sounds good. Someone will be along shortly that will be more help than I am. I'll do a little research and see what I can come up with too.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Meltaways or Melt-a-ways by Mare749 (Hi Barbara, welcome ...)
I don't have a recipe, but oooooooooh those are good! I'd always called them a cookie, guess I was wrong. Oh well, you make 'em and I'll eat 'em

Here's some recipes: http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.asp...=meltaways
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
How funny!! Barbarainnc, I remembered a discussion on these over on another website, so hopped over to search and low and behold you were on a search for these back in '05!!! Poor baby, and you still haven't gotten a good answer? Good luck!

[ dead link removed ]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Meltaways or Melt-a-ways by cjs (How funny!! Barbarai...)
I have never made a recipe I got from www.allrecipes.com that didn't work as advertised. I usually pick one that has been reviewed by lots of people with at least 4 stars.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Barbara, Welcome!

I've been poking around a bit too and I think someone on another board hit the nail on the head-it's just a name, meltaways seem to be everything from soup to nuts, so to speak. (Canned shrimp w/canned cheese sauce on an English makes me shiver a little)

Anyways, if I can figure out a way to get the pages of my textbook for Danish pastry (that I have scanned) into some sort of document I can post here, or email, I will. Sounds like what you were describing.

Have fun!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Meltaways or Melt-a-ways by pjcooks (Barbara, Welcome![br...)
Thanks for looking for me. I'm taking a Danish Pastry Class on May 26th and maybe the instructor has heard of them. I have looked in every book I know of. I even ordered a book called Danish Pastries, when I got it, it was only cookie recipes. Not what I wanted. Thanks again for your help.

Barbara (beewright@roadrunner.com)