Your longest prep for a meal for 2?
  Re: (...)
Well, even though I said I would take it easy this year, I've still spent 12 hours shopping, cooking and cleaning up getting The Picky One's birthday dinner ready. You'd think being picky might make it easy

The menu:

Clos Du Bois Chardonnay

U-10 shrimp cocktail (3 stores in 3 different towns to find his favorite sauce)

Scallop Fritters w/maple syrup for dipping (I'm taking a chance here, sick of bacon and scallops)

Greg Norman Shiraz

Grilled Ribeye Steak w/bordelaise, yes, made my own beef stock

Mashed for him (rather, riced, so much fluffier, don't tell him, he's sure to not eat it)

Orzo with a yogurt/zucchini sauce and Parm for me

Peas (thought I'd do something different

Cold rise rolls w/homemade butter

Triple layer, Triple Chocolate Ganache cake which will probably need a splash of Kahlua and some Starbucks Java Chip ice cream.

Oh well, he only turns 50 once. I'm ready for a nap..

PJ

Was going to serve lobster too but it's so hard to find (and I'm on the Seacoast.) I can get foreign lobster for about $10#, but not NH or Maine, even at $16.95# right now, it's just not availableSad
PJ
  Re: Your longest prep for a meal for 2? by pjcooks (Well, even though I ...)
MMmmm PJ, that sounds delicious. I hope Mr. Picky realizes what a lucky man he is.
Happy Birthday Picky
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Your longest prep for a meal for 2? by pjcooks (Well, even though I ...)
If you hear even minor grousing, let us know and we'll drop by with our bibs on.
  Re: Re: Your longest prep for a meal for 2? by Ron (If you hear even min...)
yeah, if there is any grousing whatsoever, we'll come take him out!!!!!!

"Scallop Fritters w/maple syrup for dipping" - think we need that recipe!!!

Your menu sounds tasty and fun - is this tonite?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Your longest prep for a meal for 2? by farnfam (MMmmm PJ, that sound...)
I can't imagine how on earth he would not love this meal---sounds great, and what a lot of thought and love have been put into your creation!!!

Hope you enjoy as much as your time and effort expended!!!

HAPPY #50 PICKY ONE----you lucky duck!!!

HMMMM--that scallop recipe is one I would love to have in my repertoire---PLEASE???

Maine lobster---now what I would give for that!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Your longest prep for a meal for 2? by Roxanne 21 (I can't imagine how ...)
Thanks, all, yes it is tonight, here ya go.

Scallop Fritters

Food and Wine June 2007

Mix together:
½ c AP flour
½ c yellow cornmeal
2 t baking powder
1 ¼ t Kosher salt (I think this is too much, might be my salt deprived taste buds)
Few cranks of freshly ground black pepper

Add and mix until smooth::
2 lg eggs, lightly beaten
¼ c clam broth (bottled ok)
¼ c pilsner beer

Fold in:
½ # sea scallops coarsely chopped (I use dry)
3 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
¼ c finely chopped red onion (I used shallots cause I had them)
1 small jalapeno, minced

Heat veg oil to 350 (about 2 in. deep in saucepan) Working in batches, drop by heaping teaspoons into oil, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 7 min. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towel lined plate to drain.

Serve w/tarter sauce and lemon wedges. (I’m using maple syrup for dipping, but if I had a less picky eater, there are lots of possibilities [I’m thinking a lemon basil aioli])

I tested one using a little peanut oil in a quarter sheet pan, I guess that would be a brownie pan, flattening them out a bit so they were more like a crab cake. I liked the way they came out, and he won’t know the difference.

Really really good.

Off to finish cooking!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Your longest prep for a meal for 2? by pjcooks (Thanks, all, yes it ...)
Have a wonderful dinner and evening Patti-Jo. What a lucky man the picky one is, but I'm sure he knows that.
Love your menu, it sounds absolutely delicious. Thanks for posting the scallop recipe, it sounds good.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Your longest prep for a meal for 2? by Mare749 (Have a wonderful din...)
P.J. have you made these before? If not, hope you'll post a review, I'm thinking this would fun for Mother's day....

Have fun and I hope you both get lucky tonite.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Your longest prep for a meal for 2? by cjs (P.J. have you made t...)
No, I haven't made these before. They were very very good, although the Picky One didn't say anything, he ate it all!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Your longest prep for a meal for 2? by cjs (P.J. have you made t...)
Quote:

Have fun and I hope you both get lucky tonite.....

PJ
PJ