Mom's Tomato Puree (for freezing)
  Re: (...)
Tomato Puree (for freezing)

Mash, and quarter 8 pounds of unpeeled tomatoes.
Chop: 4 green peppers, 6 stalks of celery, and 2 onions
Add these to the tomatoes
Add: 2 cloves garlic, minced; and 1 tsp. oregano

Simmer all together for a full hour, stirring occasionally to avoid scorching. Do not add any water.

After an hour's cooking, put the tomatoes through a Foley Food Mill or colander, to remove skins, etc. Put pulp into top of double boiler. Cook until this is reduced to the consistency of a medium white sauce. You may even cook it longer and concentrate it still more.

Stir in 2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Mom's Tomato Puree (for freezing) by Mare749 (Tomato Puree (for fr...)
oh Maryann, this is very similar to one I used to do - I love it! Thanks so much. duly copied...now on the the 'gravy' post!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Maryann, I am curious about what you might use this puree for?

Like a marinara, in sauces, like a tomato paste?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Mom's Tomato Puree (for freezing) by esgunn (Maryann, I am curi...)
Good question, Erin. I'm thinking she uses it in her tomato based sauces...sounds good doesn't it! Nothing like a REAL Italian way of doing tomato sauces! I never even thought of doing puree...less room in the freezer than tomatoes or marinara. This sounds like a good base! Are you still drowning in tomatoes?!?!?!

Now to keep this on top until Sunday so she'll see it...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Bumping for Maryann.

Maryann, just curious what this type of sauce was used for - as a basis for other sauce, straight on pasta or meats...
Erin
The time is flying by.
I have a bunch of tomatoes, a cold and cloudy day... Perfect day to make this. The house will smell great and will keep my kitchen warm.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Mom's Tomato Puree (for freezing) by luvnit (I have a bunch of to...)
Oh, now I know which sauce you were asking about, Erin! Yes, that recipe was from my mom and I forgot all about it!

To answer your question, yes, my mom would use it in her spaghetti sauce or "gravy" as some Italians refer to it. It can be thinned with water or broth if it gets too thick.

My mother-in-law also has her own version of this and would mostly use it for chili during the winter. I like to use it for soups and stews as well.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Mom's Tomato Puree (for freezing) by Mare749 (Oh, now I know which...)
Thanks Maryann!
Erin
The time is flying by.