VIP dinner and Petite Tenders
  Re: (...)
Just got home from a VIP plated dinner (worked, not guest) at the University. Our main course included Petite Tenders. Even though this was clearly indicated on the menu, everyone assumed it was tenderloin. This isn't the first time I've had this, but tonight it was exceptionally good (VIP, after all). I have yet to see this cut in the stores (including the meat markets) around here. Then again, flat iron is just now beginning to be marketed as such. Just have to know what you're looking for, I guess, and what other name it might be called.

First bite, I knew it wasn't a tenderloin, it actually had more flavor, still very tender-my question, what other name might this go by?

PJ
PJ
  Re: VIP dinner and Petite Tenders by pjcooks (Just got home from a...)
I know of these, but did not know where the cut came from - here's what I found -

"Beef Up Menu Variety with Tyson Beef Petite Tenders
Tyson Foods, Inc. introduces ready-to-cook Tyson® beef petite tenders, a beef innovation designed to offer the same texture and lean appearance of top loin cuts with a more workable food cost. Cut from the top blade near the shoulder, it has been recognized one of the most tender beef muscles. Serve in classic or upscale beef dishes and as a center-of-the-plate item or as an ingredient. Available in Classic or Cracked Peppercorn flavors."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: VIP dinner and Petite Tenders by cjs (I know of these, but...)
Around here, it's called chuck eye, chuck tender, mock filet or mock tenderloin. I'll attempt to use the new [IMG] to post a picture. Fishing has been excellent - waiting for the rain to clear right now.
[Image: mocktender.jpg]

It is recognizable by the white line running through the center. I've had it a fair number of times, and it is a respectable piece of meat at a moderate price. The one in the photo doesn't really do it justice in terms of cut quality, texture or coloration.
  Re: Re: VIP dinner and Petite Tenders by Ron (Around here, it's ca...)
Thanks, Jean and Ron, I wish butchers would get together and use one term for the same piece of meat. So now I know I'm looking for a chuck eye or tender.

Happy to hear you're enjoying the fishing. Waiting for the rain to let up-let's see, been waiting for the last 5 or 6 days and 4 more ahead in the grand old Granite State

PJ
PJ
  Re: VIP dinner and Petite Tenders by pjcooks (Just got home from a...)
A couple of weeks ago my husband was in the commissary buying some meat. The lady in the meat department said she would special cut hime some Rib Eye's ( we like them thick) but that he should try this other steak. It was a chuck eye. So, home he came with his rib eye's and the chuck eye. HUGE difference in price. Both meats are Choice and the Rib Eye was $6.29 lb, and the cuck eye is $1.69 lb - cheaper than the hamberger we get at $2.18 lb.

I had no idea what to do with this meat so headed to the internet. This is what I found...

"Definition: The Chuck Eye Steak is cut from the chuck eye roast (Chuck Primal), lower down from the rib primal. This means that this steak is a similar cousin to a Rib-Eye Steak, but isn't as tender or flavorful. A good lower cost alternative but will dry out quickly.
The Chuck Eye Steak is best braised to keep it moist, but is also good grilled or broiled, provided care is taken not to over cook it. This steak is best served Medium Rare. Anything above medium will need a sauce or steak topper.
Also Known As: Boneless Chuck Fillet Steak, Boneless Chuck Slices"

One other site also said it was good marinated. I marinated it, and we were very careful to keep it from getting over done on the grill. No more than a rare Medium Rare. It was good. We were very surprised. I didn't think I would serve it to guests (my parents who cannot tollerate chewing steak) but it was perfectly fine for us and who could beat that price! Definately better than a sirloine - for eating as a just grilled steak. And it was perfect for trying out my steak marinade recipies on - at the price of a Rib Eye - I hate risking anything with it. And it is just so good on it's own.

It has more fat - but it is pretty good. Try it! Or maybe not - I'd hate to loose our good deal by popularity!!

I'll post the marinade in a seperate post.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: VIP dinner and Petite Tenders by esgunn (A couple of weeks ag...)
All I ever put on my Rib Eyes is salt and pepper. Sometimes I use Celery salt and pepper. Yum!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: VIP dinner and Petite Tenders by esgunn (A couple of weeks ag...)
Good prices Erin! Here the ribeyes (my favorite) are now 12 bucks a pound, and maybe $8 on sale. I used to get chuck eye on sale for $2.99 - then it was $3.99. Since they found out I like them, they are more like $4.99. They are a bit chewier than filet mignon, but they are also more flavorful. Filet mignons are up to $19.99, so they are still a comparative bargain. I prefer chuck eye fairly thick cut and then do them like filets - pan sear and finish in oven, being sure to not overcook.
  Re: Re: VIP dinner and Petite Tenders by Ron (Good prices Erin! He...)
Yeah Ron! Can't believe the price of beef now. The prices we get at the commissary are good. Rib eyes in the regular store or costco range from about $8-$12 a pound. I am just shocked at how inexpensive the chuck eye is! I think it is just because no body knows what it is!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: VIP dinner and Petite Tenders by esgunn (Yeah Ron! Can't be...)
Quote:

Yeah Ron! Can't believe the price of beef now.

Higher interest rates and gas prices have contributed to price rises for all groceries. The winter blizzards that killed a lot of cattle, particularly in Colorado, have caused beef prices to rise more than groceries in general. Beef prices seem to be higher every time I go to the store. Fortunately, I bought a fair amount before they went through the roof.
  Re: Re: VIP dinner and Petite Tenders by Ron ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Eye filet is about $30 a kilo here. (2.2lbs) Expensive but I like the ease of using. Never seen tenders here, must ask my butcher. With the rise in petrol prices I suppose food prices must rise in general. It isn't just the trucks that bring the food, it is those vast machines that cultivate the fields. And so on back through the chain.